WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cid

Buying A Tent

I want to buy a tent for camping. Here is what I need:

- to be light

- easy to set up

- really strong materials

- 3 persons size (2 actually, but the extra space won't hurt)

- can be used in really bad weather (like lots of raining) and stay dry

I have no clue on types of tents, advantages etc. If you could explain to me which fits my needs best I'll remain in your debt. ;)

That is a tough question. There is MANY tents and they range in price. If you are looking for alright, I have owned many Coleman tents and they were fine. I have an Eddie Bauer now and I like that. North Facem MT hardwear. There really is a ton. To be honest if I was getting a new one, I would find a bunch that I liked and fit my needs, then I would research each one online. There is just so many to choose from.

i have bought a new tent this summer, it's a Columbia Ice Crest it's rated for 3 people but i think that for 3 it would be kind of tight, it's great for 2 people and you have a bit of room left for all your gear.

for car/canoe type of camping it should be great (i'll let you know in mid Aug :D ) ... as for backpacking it might be on a heavy side at just over 15lbs., but it's pretty easy and quick to set up. It should hold up pretty well in rain as well, i set it up in my backyard and i sprayed it with a hose on full blast and there wasn't any leaks and the water was running off very nicely.

A tent comparison test would be great. That would attract many people on the site :P

How could we make it though? :blink:

I don't know if you could. That would be HUGE. There are thousands of different tents. I just meant once you find one you like you can usually Google it and find reviews on it. Other than that, it would be tough to set somthing like that up. Although that would be REALLY cool.

Yeah, impossible task. Maybe compare only the best tents or something like that. First 10, but then how do you know which are the best 10, if you don't compare the rest? :blink:

Guest adrenjunky

I have gone through so many tents I can't tell you. I currently have six, four backpacking, two basecamp tents. My fav. that I have narrowed it down too is the Big Agnes SL3. Price tag is up there though. Sierra Designs makes good stuff too.

I want to buy a tent for camping. Here is what I need:

- to be light

- easy to set up

- really strong materials

- 3 persons size (2 actually, but the extra space won't hurt)

- can be used in really bad weather (like lots of raining) and stay dry

I have no clue on types of tents, advantages etc. If you could explain to me which fits my needs best I'll remain in your debt. ;)

After spending over a year looking for a decent tent that could be used for

3-season camping, and one with a lot of room, I decided on the Kelty Wind River 6.

Although a tent may say it will sleep six, people are going to need room for general camping. So I bought a six person tent for a family of three. Another thing to look for is a tent with good ventilation and a rainfly that goes all the way to the ground. We chose this particular tent because the whole back side is open netting which allows us to have the total feeling of sleeping in the open without the bug problem. This also aids in dry out time in high humidity or on cool nights when the vapor of your breath collects inside. Also it is high enough you don't have to bend over inside to do anything. It also has a vestibule for storage of items outside under cover. First time putting it up I did it in the dark and it took approximately 30 minutes. Not bad for not even seeing the directions and just having a flashlight. So far no complaints.

before I start, I'm a big sucker for 4 season tents.  They just seem to hold up better for me. 

I've had a MEC lightfield for about 6 years or so now.  It has stood up through downpours, high winds, and blizzards.  I like to say that one winter I went to sleep in a tent and woke up in a quinzee (it snowed 2 feet ish overnight), the poles didn't break, the fly is intact.  I am able to set it up in the dark in under 5 minutes.  It has screen doors on both sides to allow for great ventilation in the summer, and has a vent in the tent to ven the moisture from your breath on cold nights when the fly is on.  It is by far the best tent that I have ever owned, or used. 

this said, I have to be objective and say that there are some disadvantages, well one disadvantage really.... size.  It is a small tent, you can't stand up in it, and if you keep your gear inside, it's even more cramped.  Fortunately there are storage "vestibules" to keep your gear in so that it is out of the way.

Since you are looking for a slightly larger tent, perhaps

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442538359&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302702873&bmUID=1160542218850

might be useful... it is the same tent but bigger.

Lost mentioned that she looked for her tent for over a year.  I did about the same.  When it comes to tents, like lots of other gear, you have to find out what works best for you.

Like Lycan,

I am a big fan of four season tents and own 3 of them. I find them to be well worth the additional weight and cost. Of course I live in an area where there really is 4 different seasons..

My favorite is my EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) Thuderlodge. It is a 4 person, 4 season tent. It has a three pole setup, which is very easy, and two vestibles, one at each end of the tent (One is fully enclosed, one is not). They are big enough to fit both backpacks at one end of the tent, and use the other end to get in and out of, or store wet shoes and such. My wife and I have been using it for almost 15 years (maybe a bit longer) and it still works great. It is a "bath tub" designed floor, and has kept us warm and dry in very heavy weather. More then once I have woken up in the morning to find a heavy wet snowfall over night, and the tent has never sagged or had an issue. We do seam seal it every spring, and clean it after every trip. It can be used both freestanding and staked out. The floor has even stood up to my dogs being in the tents with use without any tears. The closest tent I cna find to it is the EMS Tundra Dome.

http://www.ems.com/catalog/subcategory_simple.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302875885&bmUID=1160679757271

Next is my two person EMS Mountaineering tent, which is no long in production, but is very much like the EMS Headwall. One major advantage of this type of 4 season tent is that unlike 99% of all freestanding tents out there, this one has the poles mount inside to set it up. It is a bit hard to explain, but basically you lay the tent out flat, crawl inside, and set your two poles in a X, corner to corner. This is great when it is pouring out or heavy winds. It is a 2 person tent, and pretty spacious. I have had no issues putting myself and all my gear in it, with room left over. The interior of the tent is single walled brush cotton, which pretty much removes condensation problems. This is my sole tent.

http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442586193&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302875888&bmUID=1160680465513

Neither tent is "light weight" compared to 2 or 3 season tents. But I was surprized to find that my ThunderLodge was only 1.5lbs heavier then a 3 season Hillary. You really can't beat them for value, but they are pricey.

I fell in love with a three person marmut tent a while back but the price was just too steep.  So i still dont have a tent, but if you are looking for a tent to withstand heavy rains, go with aluminum poles, they are less likely to be damaged by weight of water. Or snow, and the floor is an important thing to look at, now i know alot of people who have the tarp like material floors and love them, i personally like the doubled material that is simular in look to the walls of the tent.  Another thing to look at is, is the floor a tub style floor, a tub style floor has the seems up off the ground about 5 inches, seems are the most common place for a leak. 

On a side note.  If you are looking at a three person tent for three people it most likely wont hold three people with gear.  It will hold three people and there sleeping bags but nothing much else.  so always look at buying a 4 person tent if there are going to be 3 people using the tent unless you dont need the gear in with you. 

I can highly recommend the Mountain Hardware Kiva, you have to seal the seams your self though. In the US i understand you can get it in a light green colour. Its a three man tent but i use it as a one man for when i am teaching. Or as a two man when my wife is with me there is loads of room left for kit. It is a four season tent and you can get an inner tent for it but i dont have a need for one.

forestknights3103060069fd6.jpg