WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest taken by the wind...

What I've learned about survival by keeping Saltwater fish

~ These are the things I think about while performing my fish tank maintenance.  :whistle:

I've been keeping saltwater fish for many years. I love saltwater fish because they are smart. They don't just swim around and look pretty. They come to know you. Even if you're outside of their wet world... they begin to see you as a part of their environment. The fish in my tank are older than my youngest child  (and she just turned 7.) They know who feeds them, and they are always gathered at the corner of the tank, when I'm sitting at the computor.  :whistle:  Even freshwater fish do that though. The one thing that saltwater fish do, is that they recognize when strangers come into the house. When someone they don't normally see, comes into the room, they all hide. This demonstrates a high perceptive ability (for a fish.)  They ALL have to have a hiding place. They will fight to the death over a good one. They don't seem to be smart enough to know that the big predators don't come out at night in an aquarium...  it's just thousands of years of conditioning. Coral Reefs are one of the most stable environments on Earth. This hiding place obsession is important to know for those who venture into their world...   :unsure: My lights are on a timer to simulate the natural photoperiods at the equator, and I've noticed that exactly two hours before nightfall... every fish in my tank will get into their hiding place. so...

The NUMBER ONE survival skill I've learned from them, is to get out of the ocean at least two hours before sunset!  :woot: :rofl:  I'm not sure what they're hiding from... but they will fight to the death to get the best place to hide from IT.......    8|

If I think of more stuff later I'll add it.

Taken, this is so cool!  WHY do the fish hide???  And how the heck do they recognize PEOPLE??? 

Ive had the same gold fish Ive had for a few years (two now) not only can the recognise us but they can tell time. Mrs Swede feeds them when she comes home at midnight before she turns off the light and they get excited if I walk by their aquarium late in the evening.

haha ...empty the water tank and then get someone to enter the room ... let's where they will hide now  :vampire:

~ uh...   ok.  :unsure:  Whatever you say Nazgul...    yes...  :devil: Let's see where they'll hide THEN! Mwaaaahahahaaaaaaa!  8|  :blink:

those..... those.........  those  hiding, swimming... FISH creatures!  :P

Because it was first filmed in black and white and that's the only way its lips would show up black in the film.

Either that, or its lips got really chapped being in the water all the time and it couldn't find the Chapstick. 

You know, we're totally highjacking Taken's serious topic here.

Taken, I'm sorry!!!  :blush:

Hazey Why is that thing wearing lip stick. :unsure:

~ It's obviously female Swede... the female creatures from the black lagoon have a more yellowish coloring to their ventral scales whereas the males have a more chartreuse shade on their ventral scales... :smoke: (they females also have red lips).

Oh, Holly, my topic wasn't that serious. And the fish hide from Bigger fish who come out at night to eat. Sharks, and things like that.

~ here's another thing I've learned... 

Life is resilient!  I don't have a reef tank. (I never had the money to have the lighting system that you would need to have one.)  :greed:

However, if you provide the right environment... somehow nature just grows.  8|  I use arragonite sand on the bottom of my tank, and last night when I looked in there (in the dark) I saw things moving on the bottom of my tank. So I got a flashlight, and looked in my tank. I have loads of copepods and amphipods in my tank.  :thumbsup:  plus several tiny hermit crabs (smaller than this circle face  :hugegrin:) crawling around. These are not the same species as Large Land Hermit Crabs for sale in petstores (land crabs will drown in water)...  anyway, my maroon clown fish takes his tail, and swishes it back and forth, disturbing the sand, to find and eat these tiny crustaceans. He can rearrange my entire tank in a few hours. he is forever making huge drifts against the front of the glass with the sand. I push it back, he'll have it right back the next morning. I put a fake clump of seagrass in the corner, the next minute he picks it up with his mouth and starts to move it where HE wants it.  :woot: :rofl: :rofl:  He is SO opinionated about the decor in his tank.

I have no idea where this marine life sprouts from. Unless there are microscopic spores of life in the water where I buy the fish, but I've even had barnacles growing on the sides of my filter tubes. It's kind of neat, how "Life Find's a Way..."  (Like Malcom says in Jurassic Park)  :cool:

fishprofilesbiaculeatushp3.jpg

yellow striped Maroon Clown  (my fish is identical to this guy... he's bigger than this. He is about five inches long.)

Guest HazeyWolf

Wow - that is a trip, Taken; think those little critters could survive in the sand? Weird - Cute clown fish!