WildSurvive Forum

There seems to be a problem with some members receiving  E mails from Wild Survive.

I need to know how many members are receiving or not receiving automated E mails from PMs or lost passwords. Aunt Gail and Bow have recently been unable to log on and could not get an Email. Im also having this problem.

Unfortunately Bravo is the only member with access to the C panel or tech. service to check for this problem. I have tried to contact him with no results yet.

I have checked with my E mail provider and was told the problem is on this end. I have created another E mail provider to see if that works.

Please let my know if you are having this problem.

Swede

Aunt Gail and Bow have recently been unable to log on and could not get an Email. Im also having this problem.

I PM'd you about the E-mails but about the logging in, are they unable to log in when they go to the site www.wildsurvive.com? If so what is it telling them if anything?

Its when they lost their password and ask for a new one it wont send the E mail for the new password.

Its when they lost their password and ask for a new one it wont send the E mail for the new password.

Gotcha. Is there a common factor is any of it?  Like do they all use Yahoo E-mail or the same Internet Service Provider?

Gandar has been promoted to Administrator for his technical skills and will be on our technical staff being asembled by HazeyWolf.

We (I'm) technically challenged  in the management of the hosting program and hopefully he can help in this regard.

Bravo has been contacted and will be on line to help soon.

Gandar has been promoted to Administrator for his technical skills and will be on our technical staff being asembled by HazeyWolf.

We (I'm) technically challenged  in the management of the hosting program and hopefully he can help in this regard.

Thanks Swede and everyone else around. I will do all that I can to help with the tech stuff.

Way to go Gandar :D

Thanks SK.  I will try to do what technical stuff I can.  I know there are some minor problems that are a major pain in the rump so we'll start on those.

Okay so far I have seen two possibilities:

1) We need to upgrade to the current version. This is easy to do and risks little as far as mods that have been made. The upgrades fix many problems that we are and aren't facing.

2) I have found the following information which may work:

Hi everyone,

I have had some trouble getting the forum to email people but I have now solved it, and thought it might be useful to explain how (as I haven't seen this solution on this forum yet).

Problem: Welcome/Registration emails were not arriving

Solution:

Eventually I was able to figure out that my hosting provider was blocking them because they did not fit their policy.  The provider is called fasthosts, but I'm sure there are other providers who operate a similar policy.  The policy is that any emails sent from a script MUST be either to, or from, an address on your domain.  In other words, if your site is called www.exampleforums.com, the 'from' header must be an address (even a non-existant address) @exampleforums.com - e.g. noreply@exampleforums.com.

To solve this, in Sources/subs- post.php:

Go to the following line (which is where the mail is sent from):

Code:

if (!mail(strtr($to, array("\r" => '', "\n" => '')), $subject, $message, $headers))

Above it insert the following line:

Code:

ini_set("sendmail_from", "noreply@yourdomain.com");

Remember that yourdomain.com MUST be the domain that the forum is hosted at.

I haven't tested this extensively but it has got the welcome message working now.  I know the solution is a bit dirty and by preference should use a user-configured variable - but it worked for me for now.

I'd welcome any comments from anyone who knows the smf code better.

Hope it works

I am getting the email but i do have two problems that i think should be fixed,on the home page the big thing that says forum is a dead link and so is the one that says messages, thanks :D

Guest HazeyWolf

If anyone else is having problems with receiving Email notifications - please raise your hand!...

The most likely technical reasons are (forgive me if I miss any):

1 - incorrect email address registered.

2 - spam blocker software blocking Wildsurvive Email.

3 - member never replied to the new-member email verification but logged into Wildsurvive.com anyway.

4 - Joomla/SMF (possibly Mambo) db bridge not synced to username/number.

Gandar, I don't think the problem is with Hostgator.com (our hosting service provider) - email notifications work for most of the members here.  Swede's suggestion that members who have attempted to renew passwords aren't recieving email notifications leads me to belive that #4 may be to blame. 

I checked my spam blocker on my email provider and no emails from WS. I called tech support at mediacom (my mail) and they said it would be possible that the mail provider could be blocking but only if they were the porvider for the site??? They said the problem had to be on this end.

I opened a yahoo mail account and no e mails to it either.

The error log showed Bow tried to gain access on July 9 but was unable to get a new password.Also Aunt Gail told me of the same problem.

Both problems verified in the error log.

I hope Bravo can figure it out. He will be here tomorrow.

Guest HazeyWolf

The Joomla User Mgt. utility has been updated - the "receive server emails" check box was not activated in some accounts.

If anyone else is having problems with receiving Email notifications - please PM me so we can trouble-shoot the error further if neccessary. There may be more than one type of problem occuring with the PM email notifications.  Thanks.

The Joomla User Mgt. utility has been updated - the "receive server emails" check box was not activated in some accounts.

If anyone else is having problems with receiving Email notifications - please PM me so we can trouble-shoot the error further if neccessary. There may be more than one type of problem occuring with the PM email notifications.  Thanks.

Awesome Hazey. Thanks.  I was having no problem but it was keeping some of our friends away.

Im thinking some member information was lost during the last upgrade. I think Hazey might have something there about redoing my account.

I got an instant email responce from simple machines.

It must be something with the new host - this problem never occurred on the old hosting service.

I will take a look into the code and see if there's any problem there.