WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fusion

Climbing Trees

Ok, so you're thinking that climbing trees has nothing to do with Wilderness Survival. I think that's wrong. Trees could provide food, water and even shelter.

There are different methods for climbing a tree - I know the frog one :)

Also you can use an axe so you can climb easier. I once saw a video with a guy that used 2 knives - we would place it so he could put his foot on it. Not very efficient though.

Anymore techniques that you know about - of course without the casual ones.

At my age, if I do not have a deer-hunting tree-climber... I stay on the ground.

(*sigh*)

The only thing that climbs on my is my shorts up my butt.

But you are right. Tree hollows are a great source of water in the woods... And a source of food, too, if you use the Unca Walt Method of Squirrel Catchin'.

Unca Walt :P;)

This thread got me to thinking.  I haven't climbed a tree in so long.  I might have to try it. 

Not until I sell tickets and bring my camera gear. Can I insure you for accidental death too? I'll donate it to the save a tree foundation in your honor.

I see where you are going with this, Lost.  I can picture me dangling or falling now.  :hugegrin:  Maybe I will stick to the ground!  But hey, maybe we can make some money on America's funniest home videos?  :greed:

You mean, maybe LOST can make money from America's funniest home videos, you`d be dead  :dead:

:rofl:

LOST may I help you with something... I need some money too  :lol:

:hugegrin:

I know you can use a hatchet to climb a tree. Also you can use some cloth to wrap around the tree and climb it like a frog. That's for trees with high level branches  :blink:, cuz the usual trees are easy to climb.

No, we're not  :nono:

We just want the money  :yes:

Machine - you could pay up front and end it right now.  :greed:  Save me from all that paperwork.  If you don't want to climb trees while I am around, I will understand though.  :scared:  :dead:

I am not sure of the "frog technique" but heres one I have seen on tv documentaries

you make a loop of braided fibres into a foot binding and straddle the tree trunk with the feet inlaced inside the "rope" loop/stirups and use this as a foot bind sinche against the tree trunk to anchor yourself as you push up with your legs and the grasp the tree trunk with your arms and drag up your legs to the next level and start over again easier done (TV) than said.

Other than that just a rope thrown over a branch near the trunck and haul your self manualy up the tree.

lol, i LOOOOOOVE climbing trees! i am great at all the ways of climbing trees, if you blink you will miss me climbing it though and you will see me all the way at the top!

I like to climb a nice tree and sit up there and get another view of the forest.

has anyone ever climbed a tree and set up a hammock way up there? ;)

I have not used a high hammock.  Just tied in on a good wedge and got all nice and comfy.

Has anyone ever seen Medicine Man?  There are some serious tree climbers there.

Medicine Man - is that a show or something?

Crazy_stick - do you have some pictures taken from the trees, in the hammock maybe? that would be nice to see.

Guest adrenjunky

It is a movie that takes place in the amazon basin.

It is a movie that takes place in the amazon basin.

Sean Connery plays a researcher looking for a cure for cancer in the rainforest. The tree industry and time is a factor in his success or failure. Oldie but a goodie.  Beautiful music and scenery.

I think tomorrow I will climb a tree.  Its been a while and I am ready to overlook life a little.

Guest given to the sea...

I thought I saw Dave up there.

~ nobody can climb a tree as fast as Super Squirrel. :thumbsup:

Some people do try though...   Never try to do what a squirrrel can do. Look what happened to this guy...  :nono:

Nope, I was looking up just a little higher hoping he didn't drop a nut on me.

Keep three points of contact at all times. Make sure you put your foot in the joint of the branch, even dead branches have substantial weight bearing capacity near the junction. In crotches, make sure you don't get your foot wedged sideways. You can get your foot stuck, and if you fall, by by bones in foot.  Also be careful of critters, especially hymenoptera hanging out in the crooks (ants wasps bees hornets)

When jumping or swinging from tree to tree, keep your fingers closed in a claw like fashion. spread fingers sometimes get jammed. In crotches, you can pass your arm through and make a fist to expand it larger than the crotch, that way, you can put a load on it. Climbing straight up a limbless tree is hard. Pines are even harder due to their flaky bark. You want to be careful about the sides of knees and inner thighs due to abrasion. Thats my two cents!

If you are dropping a critter from the tree, say for instance, an iguana, make sure you have your buddies in a perimeter around the tree tight enough so that they can jump on it.  :naughty: