WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest HazeyWolf

PANDEMIC FLU INFORMATION LINKS

Guest taken by the wind...

~ thanks Hazey! I joined flutrackers.com as a healthcare professional. It looks like a pretty good site. There are a lot of people in hospitals who are worried about protecting themselves since we're the ones who come into contact with the sickest people first. E.R.'s are not equiped to deal with this. Doctors prescribe treatments that will scatter the virus all over the E.R. before they even check out the patient. Oxygen spreads the flu.. aerosol treatments can carry it for many yards. These are two things that are done by protocols, not by orders. Anyone coming into an E.R with a hint of a respiratory problem gets an aerosol treatment, and they get oxygen. A killer flu's best friend is going to be a busy E.R...  it will be catapulted all over the place, and picked up by people who work all over the hospital. Nobody seems to see this. Everyone is worried about how to protect themselves from a patient in a room who has been diagnosed with flu...

As a Respiratory Care Practitioner, I know for a fact that there is a HUGE lag between a patient walking into an E.R. and finding a diagnosis...  I have received plenty of letters from infection control in my years of working (sometimes a week later)  after I had contact with someone telling me to go to occupational health and be tested for this and that because in review of a chart, I came in contact with so and so and they now have T.B. or they died of Neisseria Menengitis... etc.

Sick people come in contact with many people before anyone figures out what they have wrong with them. Unless they have flu protocols written and implemented (we have nothing like that) this thing will spread like wild fire before anyone knows what it is. Putting someone into isolation immediately who shows  ANY flu-like symptoms is going to be the only way to contain it. As busy as E.R.s are, this is not going to happen. They even need a separate waiting area for people with flu-like symptoms. It's not going to happen. Nobody is going to spend the money to keep it from spreading... have we ever been able to stop the flu? This one will be even harder to control. Nobody is ready. There is no oxygen mask that contains the flu... as a matter of fact most of them will spread it for yards around a patient...  you can rig them to be safe, but that takes some effort and know-how. Our infection control lady laughs at us whenever we ask her questions about stuff. She thinks that nothing like that is going to happen. She says "they'll" have ways of containing it...  She's an idiot. Most people in management where I work ARE idiots. They have dozens of meetings every week about nothing, and nothing ever changes as a result of those meetings. THESE are the people who are planning things.   :mad: :thumbdown:   EVERY one of them are relying on a diagnosis and THEN isolation techniques. 

SARS was spread, in Canada by oxygen in an E.R. They have figured out that this is what shot the virus all over the place. Everyone who entered that triage room where that patient was, died. The two paramedics who brought that patient in, died. Oxygen is given at very high literflows to people who are very sick...  8-10 liters per minute...  when they exhale, the oxygen carries the droplets for yards in alll directions. One company makes an oxygen mask that has a filter on it. No other companys seem to be on the bandwagon. fortunately I know how to rig up a high flow mask with filters.  :thumbup:

I showed my director.... he laughed and walked away. Nobody takes anything seriously until it is too late.

Guest HazeyWolf

That's Great, Taken!  I look forward to reading and learnng more from you and your professional peers at the flutrackers.com site. We've been really fortunate to have you share your professional medical and respiratory science insights here with us - So Thank You!

HHS Secretary Levitt (concering the possibility of a pandemic):

“Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the Federal Government will be able to come in and rescue them at the last moment will be sadly disappointed. Not because the Federal Government doesn’t/isn’t prepared, but because when it’s occurring in 5,000 communities at the same time, it’s local preparedness that will ultimately spell the difference.”

Taken, you have the right idea!  Plan for the WORST, and if it doesn't happen no harm done.  You're right, too bad no one thinks of this until it's too late!