WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bigblue

My Next Project

Every now and then I find myself in a situation where my modest talents as a craftsman come in very handy. I now find myself in such a situation, this time totally by choice.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I need to make a cradleboard:

cradleboardgrandchilduz3.jpg

cradleboarddanielsmq8.jpg

Input and suggestions are most welcome!!

Staying in more older trad style foot rest could be made of bent wood in a latice/basket weave the would "cup" the feetas babies will not always keep feet vertical, this was to act as a catch all so that the feet would not slip through the splint foot rest especialy on the trail. Along with the ties and pad and blankets added an otrher layer of safety.

Will this be used also as a back cradle?

Tell me are you making a knife for the baby as well,  :thumbsup:

Bob - Yes, this will be used for carrying while on the trail and/or about town. I've read a number of "how-to" articles and I have a few ideas, but I have never actually seen one being used or made. We like the idea of the traditional style shown in the pictures but a little less traditional native decoration..... and more "us" if you will.

Great to see you by the way.

I would also add a 1" or so wood ridge border along both sides of the backboard to allow a mesh or canvass piece to be fixed/stretched out to act as a "cushion" for the Mom so the board would not be so hard on her and be ventilated in the process.. 

Guest taken by the wind...

~ Ok...  I wasn't gonna say anything, but you know me.  :harhar:

I'm not a big fan of swaddling a baby to a board. (And that's the only way to secure them). Here's why. If they're newborns (less than 4 weeks) they can't keep their heads steady, so it will take some tight swaddling to keep them in an upright positon. I'm sure you'll put some padding on that piece of wood...  :whistle:  or you might get some typical flat molding of the cranium that was common in cultures who used cradleboards. Babies older than a month should not be swaddled (except at night, only if it makes them sleep better) Swaddling interferes with mobility and development. If you've ever watched a baby a couple of weeks old... they kick, and move their arms, they try to touch things, they are learning to interact with their surroundings.

A mother instictively wants to carry her baby close to her, she wants to look at her baby, she wants to make eye contact. As a mother, I would have been very uncomfortable carrying my infant on my back. Babies need to see their mothers. They want close contact. Being swaddled tightly in a blanket, and secured to a cradleboard, and carried on the back, does not equal close contact.  :nono: Also, babies who are swaddled and kept restrained even periodically for the first three months are three times more likely to have pneumonia (probably from inabilty to mobilze secretions due to being in the same position) not likely to happen on a hike around town though...  ) Also there is a high incidence of hip dysplasia in Native Americans due to the common practice of using cradleboards. The reason why, is that it places the infants hips into extreme abduction (brought together) due to the swaddling required to secure them to the cradleboard.

I don't know though... if used sporadically... it probably wouldn't be harmful. But my Mommy vision also tells me (unrelated to statistics, but totally related to watching Animal planet and Science channel) that most animal attacks occur from behind.  So if I was out hiking in the woods, with an infant, who's sounds, and smells, might invite interest from cougars or bears or WHATEVER...  :scared:  There's NO way I'd have that baby on my back!  :box:

Look how many cyclists have been saved because the cougar pounced and grabbed their backpack instead of their neck! or the bear's claws dug into their backpack instead of their flesh....  You hear those stories all the time.

As a mother, anything after MY kid.... is gonna have to get through ME first. PERIOD.

That's just a mom's veiw.  :P :whistle:

I'm SURE beyond a shadow of a doubt, that our sisters of the tribes had such an intuitive relationship with their environment, that having their baby on their back was the safest place.... because they would be aware enough of their surroundings to end up facing whatever was after them.  :thumbup:

today's women.... :unsure:  I'm not so sure! LOL! I'd want my kid in an iron clad stroller with GPS tracking!  :P :rofl: