WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
theking648

Fly Fishing is Expensive!

Fly Fishing is Expensive!

This is for all the anglers looking for a challenge. I have many friends who use the traditional fishing rod with a spinning real including my dad. They catch tons of fish using bait but if that ever gets too boring for you like it did for me well I have a solution. A few years ago I figured out that with bait fishing your bringing the fish to you. With fly fishing you have to take the bait to them. In my opinion bait fishing is cheating. That is one reason I started to fly fish.

This is for everyone who wants to get into fly fishing.

1. Fly fishing is expensive.

2. If you have never fished before I don’t think fly fishing is the best place to start. You have to crawl before you can walk.

3. Fly fishing takes a lot of PATIENCE!!!

-Well now you’re going to need some gear. We’ll start with the basic stuff you’re going to need and work our way to the stuff that you might want.

1. We’ll start with the fly rod. There are moderate, moderate/fast, fast action fly rods the trick is finding the one right for you, the moderate/fast is the best for beginners. I wouldn’t suggest spending too much on your first fly rod because the first rod helps you understand how it works and after a while you will notice that it might not be the right type of rod for you. Fly rods start at about $80.00 and go up to $1000.00 if not more.

S5030397.jpg

S5030396.jpg

S5030392.jpg

S5030385.jpg

2. Now we’re going to need a reel now if you like you can spend as much on a reel as you want the more expensive it is the better the quality in most cases. Reels start cheep at about 40.00 but will get up into $300.00 reel fast…. LOL get is reel fast. LOL I crack my self up. happy097.gif

S5030391.jpg

3. We still need some fly line. Fly fishing line is probably one of the most confusing parts of fly fishing. I know that I won’t be able to explain it vary well but I’ll tell you the basics.

The first part of the line is the backing this is what is added to the reel so that it pushes your fly line to the outside of the reel spool.

The backing attaches to the pearlescent fly line. Then that attaches to a clear piece of pearlescent called a leader.

The leader is a tapered piece of fly line it starts wide and gets thinner the

Tippet is attached to the leader. The tippet is the part that that the fly attaches too, and this is the part that gets cut down over time.

Total cost of line will range for $30 to $80 or more!

4. Well fly fishing isn’t fly fishing with out flies. First get a box… go it?

S5030393.jpg

Ok now it’s time stock your box. There are all kinds of flies out there, but what you have to do a little research. I live in Utah so we’ll use Utah as my example.

Things to consider:

- Time of year

- Insects in your area

- The hatches

There are many types of flies. There are: Nymphs, Dry flies, Wet flies, Steelhead, and many more.

Nymphs have long hooks and they are an underwater hook

S5030395.jpg

Dries have a lot of hackle around the neck of the fly by the loop in the head. The hackle is what makes it float.

S5030394.jpg

Wet flies are the same hook shape as Dry flies but they don’t have hackle so there an underwater fly.

Steelheads are for lakes and reservoirs there vary colorful and big.

The time of year right now is; the end of July so what I would do is look up a hatch chart for the river I want to fish. This is a hatch chart for the Provo river in Utah HATCH CHART

I go over to July on the chart and where it is highlighted it shows what flies to use. So make a trip to your local fly shop. In my case I go to sportsmen's warehouse. and pick up the flies that I like on the list. And you might want to pick up some strike indicators for underwater flies so that you can see if you have a fish on the hook

Flies stay cheap as long as you only buy a few at a time… LOL flies usually cost about $1.30 each.

THAT’S IT! If you’re just starting. Everything from this point on is stuff that makes fly fishing easier

- Fly fishing vest

S5030392-1.jpg

- Waders (I don’t need them because I just use a par of old shoes and some cargo swim pants)

- Fish net

- Polarized sunglasses (safety first)

- Line stationer (takes the loops out)

S5030398.jpg

- Sun screen (vary important. duh)

S5030400.jpg

- Extra everything. Tippets, Leaders, FLIES! (you will lose flies no matter what. So have at least 3 flies for every pattern that you chose)

- Don’t forget your fishing license

That’s all you need to fly fish. Now you have to learn how to fly fish but that’s a whole other tutorial that I’m not sure I’m going to make. I hope you liked my introduction to fly fishing. It is an expensive sport but it’s worth it. If you have any questions or comments. You can email me at theking1847@msn.com or king@theking648.com

Happy Fishin!!!

Dave Johnson

aka theking648.

Whoo Hoo!  Thank you , King! :thumbsup: This is 'way cool! I've never been fly fishing but it sounds like it could be a lot of fun, as long as I don't hook the back of my head or my butt! :hugegrin:

Good stuff King, have you sent this in to Swede as an Article yet?

thanks

no but, i'm going to try to put this on my site. thats way i put the questions and comments part on it.

Whoo Hoo!  Thank you , King! :thumbsup: This is 'way cool! I've never been fly fishing but it sounds like it could be a lot of fun, as long as I don't hook the back of my head or my butt! :hugegrin:

the funny thing about the hooks i use (size 16+) is that you can get them stuck in you feet and thingers and you don't feel them.

one day i was walking around with a hook in my foot and didn't feel it untill it snaged on the carpet. LOL

Guest taken by the wind...

~ Great information theKing  :thumbsup:   I am really smart when it comes to keeping fish in an aquarium... but totally stupid when it comes to fishing!  :woot: :rofl: :rofl:  

However... I LOVE watching fly fishing!  :thumbup:  It's like poetry in motion. Did you ever watch the movie "A River Runs Through It" ?  If not... you need to watch it.  cool14.gif

So, for a dummy like myself, will you please tell me what's the difference? Do you have to fly fish in a running river? When do you regular fish, and when do you fly fish?  :unsure:  What kind of fish do you catch fly fishing?

riverunoi9.jpg

"But when I am alone in the half light of the canyon all existence seems to fade to a being with my soul and memories. And the sounds of the Big Black Foot River and a four count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise. Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters."

I love "a river runs through it" it's on my favorite movies list.

No, you don't have to fly fish on a running river, I do. I don't like going out on the lake. lake fishing is not my thing but you can fly fish on the lake all you use is alot biger flies and alot more colorfull ones like Streamers or Steelheads.

I bait fished for 10 years at least and then a few years ago I just wanted a challenge. so I started fly fishing. when i bait fish i use salmon eggs and i would pull in 10 - 20 fish in two days of fishing but with fly fishing I can only catch 5 or so in a two days so it's alot more challengeing.

I bait fished at my last camp out in june because my new fly rod got broken by a trailor jack in the back of my cousins truck. but it was under warranty, and the fly rod above is the replacement.

I fish for rainbow and brown trout. but i've been told that utah has some of the bigest bass so I wan't to go fish for bass soon.

Very good information The King. Very useful if your lost and hungry to know how to catch a fish.

Thank you. :thumbsup:

the funny thing about the hooks i use (size 16+) is that you can get them stuck in you feet and thingers and you don't feel them.

one day i was walking around with a hook in my foot and didn't feel it untill it snaged on the carpet. LOL

I did hook myself in the elbow once, but I felt it!  :P

Guest Lead Dog

Great explanation of the gear, King!  I wish I had it a couple weeks ago as I went fly fishing for the first time this past weekend.  Fortunately Adrenjunky was able walk me through what you explained here.

Great post King!  But you forgot the #1 reason to make your first fly rod an inexpensive one: 

If you have a temper like mine, it may end up broken over your knee!  :curse:  ;)

Great post King!  But you forgot the #1 reason to make your first fly rod an inexpensive one: 

If you have a temper like mine, it may end up broken over your knee!   :curse:   ;)

LOL yep i have alot of relitives like you.

If you have a temper like mine, it may end up broken over your knee!   :curse:   ;)

Oh, dear.  Are you related to my husband? :P

No, why?

So that they fit perfectly into the palm of your hand so you can throw it just as far as possible out into the lake after you get the 3rd bird's nest in a row!  :curse:

(bird's nest is the big tangled up knot of line you always get when you don't hold your mouth just right when you cast with a baitcaster).

Here is another type of light weight float boat.>

picfloatcheap3ej2.jpg

Shot at 2007-08-14

There are several other styles in this type.

So that they fit perfectly into the palm of your hand so you can throw it just as far as possible out into the lake after you get the 3rd bird's nest in a row!   :curse:

(bird's nest is the big tangled up knot of line you always get when you don't hold your mouth just right when you cast with a baitcaster).

:woot: :rofl:

Guest adrenjunky

You haven't even started getting into the money yet. Once you get hooked and have to start buying reels and rods for every type of fish. Then of course you have to go to Grand Caymen Islands to go bone fishing, and then..... wacky078.gif It just goes on and on.

You haven't even started getting into the money yet. Once you get hooked and have to start buying reels and rods for every type of fish. Then of course you have to go to Grand Caymen Islands to go bone fishing, and then..... wacky078.gif It just goes on and on.

My wife doesn't understand why I need another rod when I have 6 already!  "But, honey, I need a new jigging rod for crappy this spring!"  She just doesn't get it....

My wife doesn't understand why I need another rod when I have 6 already!  "But, honey, I need a new jigging rod for crappy this spring!"  She just doesn't get it....

lol they never will. i'm 17 and i have 3 fly rods.... but i still need more...

Explain to her it's just like her shoes or pocketbooks.

You'll never hear another complaint again...

Explain to her it's just like her shoes or pocketbooks.

You'll never hear another complaint again...

:rofl:  Now that just might work!  :hugegrin:

Several years ago my wife and I did some work with J.P Ross of J.P. Ross Fly Rods. When we began planning to leave the organization, J.P presented us with two of his high-end rods... both "36t", 4-section, 7.5 ft, 4-5 wt. trout rods that had been customized for us. Mine has a 6 inch length of thin Milkweed cordage wound around the rod just above the handle, and my wife's has a small piece of a Raven's feather epoxied onto the base of the rod above the handle. Included with the rods were two top-of-the-line reels, line, backing, tipits(?), and an assortment of 50 flies.

http://www.jprossflyrods.com/36t.php

I guess we now have to learn how to use them!!