WildSurvive Forum

Number one:  I would recommend leaving out the knife.  No matter what the reason, most schools and staff will show ZERO tolerance even if it IS just part of a PSK.  It may seem trivial to us, but the current school atmosphere will absolutely not allow any such piece of equipment.  Same might go for any sort of matches, lighters, or fire starters.  A magnesium fire starter is one item you might get away with, or one of the fire steel type of items.

Otherwise, a small first aid kit, some power or granola bars, bottle of water. That should be a good start.

When I was in scholl pocket knives were OK. In todays society, I am not sure you can even carry paracord.

I would be intrested to see the answers here based on grade level Like Grade School, High School, College

When I was in scholl pocket knives were OK. In todays society, I am not sure you can even carry paracord.

I would be intrested to see the answers here based on grade level Like Grade School, High School, College

Yeah, I remember those days, and I remember the teacher looking up from doing something and asking "Who's got a pocket knife I can use?"

OK guys, thanks. Pocket knives are a BIG no no.  I think certain students should be aloud to carry them! I had a razor blade that came off my pencil sharpener so i used that if i needed a blade! Ill see what all i put together.  Im going to try and make it all look inconspicuous so it doesnt get confinscated.

Guest HazeyWolf

In instances like these I like the little all-in-one kits from Adventure Medical, or like the SAS Survival Tin.  They can easily fit in a pocket or backpack - aren't prone to being used unless its an emergecy, and are obviously a non-threatening, dedicated bit of saftey gear.  A authority figure would be pretty uptight if they were to suggest such products are intended for devious purposes or are outside the rules.  I bet you could get your parents to write you a note allowing you to carry one, SK.

Adventure Medical PSK   

SAS Survival Tin 

Survival Necklace   (can be stowed in a small container)

You can find a wide range of pricing on items like these - most are around $25 US.  One could easily assemble a kit for one's self for less money - I just like the convenience of the pre-assembled packages - they make a fun gift.

Sealable Travel Soap Dish Containers, Metal Candy Containers, Shoe Polish Cans and Plastic Film Roll Containers make handy and inexpensive housings for PSK mini-gear.

In essence, a PSK for school isn't much different than any one a working person may wish to have at their place of employment.  A great introduction to the topic is Mr. Swert's guide to Urban Preparedness in the Office: Outdoor Magazine

- There are some multi-tools that have sharp knife blades but are still handy mini-tools - Victornix has a few key-chain style versions. A mini-LED (Photon) light fits well in a pocket kit too.

- I've added some pre-packed over the counter pain relievers to my kit, as well as a few water purification tablets, KI pills, a calling card and a little cash.

- A mini-radio can be handy to clue you into any on-going emergency events being reported in in the news, and a personal cell phone with text messaging ability is always a good thing to have - remember that sometimes when mobile phone cell-tower transmitters are jammed a text or SMS message can still get through. 

- A map of the area, a bicycle, gloves, hat, goggles, and a couple N-95/N-100 masks and a combat dressing or other form of serious wound treatment (Quick-Clot Sponge) are good to have in the extremely rare event you encounter someone with series injuries (car accident, gunshot wound, etc.) Those kinds of emergency medical aids require some training and are only used in a dire emergency when all other means of stopping blood loss fail.  A pad of moleskin can come in handy too, but duct-tape will do in a jiffy.

Dont forget some thing for self defense compact hand gun should be fine  :guns: :bandit:

Not sure what you plan on running into at school. But food water and money[quarters for phone] and bus tickets??? Oh and duck tape as machine said.

i always have a light and water in my bag but i dont live far away from school so ill just walk home in case of a diaster

I got a call from Little Woods's school when he was 5 for brining in chap stick.........They said it was considered a drug!!!!!!!!!

If its not your books and pencils they will probably expell you and throw you in jail, then you'll be tried as an adult and put in the gas chamber...........

Things have really gotten out of hand since Columbine.........I do understand the need to protect our kids, but at the same time, they should use some common sence when deciding what is deamed "dangerouse" etc.........WHO GETS HIGH OF CHAP STICK??? ??? ???

I got a call from Little Woods's school when he was 5 for brining in chap stick.........They said it was considered a drug!!!!!!!!!

If its not your books and pencils they will probably expell you and throw you in jail, then you'll be tried as an adult and put in the gas chamber...........

Things have really gotten out of hand since Columbine.........I do understand the need to protect our kids, but at the same time, they should use some common sence when deciding what is deamed "dangerouse" etc.........WHO GETS HIGH OF CHAP STICK??? ??? ???

Beats me! I know kids who used to eat it. LOL and they wernt druggies.

in middle school 8th grade i brought my multitool tool in to fix my locker the srcrews holding the swicth thingy wouldnt work and i got cought i dint even think about it being a wepon but get this i brought in a book about america special ops and the teacher said it was not ok for school! and i have a shirt that said "sniper no need to run you will only die tired" lol i was in 6th grade with that shirt that was a awsome shirt to i had to go home with it

in middle school 8th grade i brought my multitool tool in to fix my locker the srcrews holding the swicth thingy wouldnt work and i got cought i dint even think about it being a wepon but get this i brought in a book about america special ops and the teacher said it was not ok for school! and i have a shirt that said "sniper no need to run you will only die tired" lol i was in 6th grade with that shirt that was a awsome shirt to i had to go home with it

Well multi-tool is a no no too! I just would ask our janator or bring in my tool box and fix it. And we can read almost any book we want at our school!

I am prepared for anything. I have cards to play poker( a.k.a probability cards *cough*), a thing of hot sauce(it comes in handy for several things, several sharpies, have a piece of paper with symbols for letters, so you can write notes to your friends, keep a door stopper(I have three. It's happened before.), bring a pocket dictionary, have a mini stpler and hole puncher(get colorful ones to spice your papers/HW a bit), always have some change on you, and some random stuff that you think you will never need(Teachers ask for the wierdest things like door stopers).

SK,

For Lil Coffee, I put together school psk. He walks to school and back, and I wasn't comfortable with him having nothing.

I took one of the Orange survival whistles and inside he has:

1) MiniChamp SAK

1) single AAA minimag

1) Mini Bic lighter

Now it took a while, but he understand this isnt a toy, and not for showing off to his friends, especially the SAK. He keeps it in his pocket at all times, when walking and in a hidden pocket in his pack while at school. So far (over a year) he hasn't broken the rule about taking it out, and i don't think he will. The key is remembering why you have a PSK, and remembering not to use it like a toy.

As far as the school is concerned, if for some reason in the future they take issue with it, then so be it. That's on me, not him. I don't recommend you take any kind of knife to school unless your parents are backing you up on it.

:)

I don't recommend you take any kind of knife to school unless your parents are backing you up on it.

I agree and I brought a knife to school regularly as I knew the conditions of it's allowance but didn't want to sit there with nothing in the case I needed something.  I occasionally used it for mundane things such as opening a box or a zip tie... Was caught with it a few times but never given a problem about it. The teachers knew I wasn't a crazy and they didn't seem to mind.

This isn't going on to say I condone the act, I did so on my own authority and disreguarded the rules which in my later years I have frowned upon.

Sometimes a good talk with your SRO (School Resourse Officer) if you have one will help.  Ask him if it'dbe okay to bring a PSK and ask if in his opinion it's okay to have the smallest of SAK's in it.

Gandar

I guess that is a major difference too. We dont have a SRO in our schools. Nor anything like it.

And it is ME telling my son he HAS to carry it, not him wanting to carry a knife.

Of course, when I was in school we all carried knives, mostly lockblades. it wasnt an issue ever. But times have changed a lot in the three hundred or so years since i was  a student. :)

Update on this.

I just read a article about a kid who cut out of High School with a couple of friends to grab lunch. He got caught and the school security searched his car and found a SAK. Now he is up on felony charges. It was on the Drudge report site I think. Anyways, this is stupidity at it's highest. The Dean claimed it was a weapon. Ok... so... what about the tire iron in the trunk for changing a flat... or hell... the car itself.... both are a lot more deadly then a SAK.

Anyways, you might want to consider this before you carry a SAK to school.

http://www.theweekly.com/news/2007/September/05/Wilford_Chandler.html

NEWS FLASH!

Wednesday, September 19th, 2007:

A student was apprehended in a local school when he was discovered with a Swiss Army Knife!  "He was on a total rampage!!" screeched school principal Ima Weiner.  "He was fixing lockers, opening pop bottles, and cutting paper with the scissors!  It even has a 2 inch BLADE on it!  Why, I can't imagine the untold loss of life that may have occured if the police hadn't tasered him!  Today's hooligans MUST learn that such weaponry cannot be tolerated!  The school board plans on proscecuting him to the fullest extent of the law!  We've put the school on lock-down and brought in special councellors to deal with the emotional trauma that I just KNOW our students are suffering!"

Police quickly ended the rampage with six tasers and four K-9 dogs.  The Swiss Army Knife was secured and disposed of by the bomb squad who placed it into an explosive blast container and then detonated it.  Authorities are assuring parents that all students are now safe and the situation is under complete control.

A spokes person for the Brady Center On Swiss Army Knife Violence stated, "This should serve as a wake-up call that this nation desperately needs common sense Swiss Army Knife control laws!  Background checks, waiting periods, and licensing could have prevented this tragedy.  Unfortunately the National Swiss Army Knife Association has blocked all such regulations with a complete lack of concern for the safety of citizens everywhere."

County prosecutors have stated that with all the charges the student is facing, that they plan on trying him as an adult and are seeking the death penalty.   whip.gif