WildSurvive Forum
Swede

OUTDOOR COOKING AND TUTORIALS

Post you outdoor cooking demonstrations and favorite meals over an open fire here.

Find some yellow clay or gray fire clay

potatos003ec9.jpg

Mold like modeling clay some what and pack around potato

potatos005fa5.jpg

Cover potatos completely to about half an inch thick. I tried a bowl while I was at it

potatos008kg4.jpg

Carefully lay potatos into coals

potatos013le7.jpg

I gave them 45 minutes just to make sure. These potatos were small so 20 minutes to a half hour would have been enough

potatos015he8.jpg

I put on a pair of cotton gloves OUCH that wasnt enough so I used my shovel. These babies were HOT.

potatos001se2.jpg

Now just tap gently with the back of your knife or multitool and the mud will break off and enjoy.  :thumbup:

potatos002am8.jpg

I was watching Mark and Ollie meet the Mec a show about two guys going into the jungle in Papawa on the travel channel. (It was travel or discovery) and they did a lot of hot rock roasting. Of course they had a lot better leaves to cover the pit with.

I was just wondering if we could do the with the leaves we have or something else. I wonder if green corn stalks and leaves would work?

We normally cook during the summer a big mess of corn on the cob.  You soak the ears with the husks on for a couple of hours, then you put them on a grill over a medium fire and turn occasionally.  I think about 15 to 30 minutes cooks them, but that's really going to vary with the fire.  You can keep checking one ear, just pat the leaves back down on the test ear.

If you cake mud around a fish or game bird (grouse for instance remove head and legs first on the bird) and bake in the coals for 30-45 minutes the entrails shrivel up and when you peel the mud off the feathers and or fish skin come off too is a trick we have used many times when lacking a pan

Guest smallgamehunter

they use banana  leaves to cover the pork usually but i bet we could find something that would work just as good

Guest smallgamehunter

yes rock it was a widely used brand of wood stoves to heat and cook  found alot in log cabins

Ok, allow my ignorance, but what is a 'franklin'? A particular brand of wood stove?

Actually it got its name from Benjamin Franklin who invented it. He also realized that a stove should be in the center of a room instead of the side for air circulation. They are expensive to make these days because of a lack of demand. They are very inefficient for heat as any open faced wood burner is as they suck a lot of heat up the chimney especially as they burn down and the chimney is still hot. If I remember right Ben came up with the iron reflector plate above the fire box to radiate heat back into the room but I could be wrong.

http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/frankstove.htm

Ok, here's my very FIRST tutorial (other than the finding north with the sun one that got completely ripped apart by the BBC....who by the way still hasn't proved me wrong)

So, all year I've wanted to do this and I committed to doing it before 2012, before we all die by December (according to all the producers of the discovery channel). Just so you can say you learned something new. :P

ENjoy and please, laugh all you want. I did! But really, I do hope everyone learns something from it. Because if sh*t really does hit the fan, you can survive on this food I'm showing you for a very long time because it is high in fat and protien. Enjoy!

Well when every body is asleep that uses Hughes Network may be I can watch it Rocky.  :reallymad:

Great video Rocky. Back east we get the smaller acorn's. But will pass this on to my brother's. Won't be making that up here anytime soon. Only have willow bushes here and some spruce tree's.

Dump cake or campfire cobbler. One can pie filling peaches and one can blackberrys. Half cup of flour and one third cup of sugar. One box cake mix.

cobbler002.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Heat the mix to set the flour

cobbler003.jpg

Sprinkle cake mix and add butter slices

cobbler007.jpg

Put coals or in this case charcoal on the dutch oven lid

cobbler010.jpg

The cake mix makes a crunchy top add ice cream

cobbler013.jpg

Tasted down right pretty good, and sweet! Lots of vanilla ice cream on top and walla. My birthday cake from Swede.  :kiss:

I think the topping would have turned out better if I had used canned peaches instead of pie filling. The extra juice in the peaches would have soaked up the cake mix better.

We LOVE dump cakes, We do them all the time with the scouts.  We did 4 types with the girlscouts when we helped them with their camp out.  Kind of addicted to them now. LOL

I like to put a box of instant chocolate pudding mix over the top.  It hardens a little bit and helps keep some of the moisture in the cake.