WildSurvive Forum
Swede

OUTDOOR COOKING AND TUTORIALS

We LOVE dump cakes, We do them all the time with the scouts.  We did 4 types with the girlscouts when we helped them with their camp out.  Kind of addicted to them now. LOL

I like to put a box of instant chocolate pudding mix over the top.  It hardens a little bit and helps keep some of the moisture in the cake. 

Instant chocolate pudding would be great. ;)

Has anyone tried a pit lined with hot rocks and covered with leaves to bake meat?

Watched it done in Maui for Kahlua pig....best pig I have ever had. When they took the leaves off all the meat was in a pile, just fell off the bones...dang now I'm hungry

Ive cooked fish by slicing up a lemon and putting some in the body cavity. then wrap them in burdock leaves and pack with mud. set them in the coals of a fire for about 35-45 minutes. (about 1 inch of mud)  works well.  ive also cooked alot years ago with an earth oven.  Dig a 5-6 inch pit big enough to put your food in. build a fire in it and get a good coal bed. cover with a layer of dirt no more than about a half inch deep. place squirrel, chicken or rabbit parts wrapped in leaves or tinfoil (season to taste if you like, i used butter and seasoning salts) lay these on the dirt covered coal bed then cover over with a couple inches of dirt. let sit for 2-4 hours or longer (trust me it wont burn) even squirrel falls off the bone.

Ive cooked fish by slicing up a lemon and putting some in the body cavity. then wrap them in burdock leaves and pack with mud. set them in the coals of a fire for about 35-45 minutes. (about 1 inch of mud)  works well.  ive also cooked alot years ago with an earth oven.  Dig a 5-6 inch pit big enough to put your food in. build a fire in it and get a good coal bed. cover with a layer of dirt no more than about a half inch deep. place squirrel, chicken or rabbit parts wrapped in leaves or tinfoil (season to taste if you like, i used butter and seasoning salts) lay these on the dirt covered coal bed then cover over with a couple inches of dirt. let sit for 2-4 hours or longer (trust me it wont burn) even squirrel falls off the bone.

~ I think Muddy Pete should try this ONLY so he can call it Muddy Pete's Muddy fish.  :P

~ I think Muddy Pete should try this ONLY so he can call it Muddy Pete's Muddy fish.  :P

I like it. I may try this when Ace and I go camping.

I would order that in a restaurant!