WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bestseller92

Hypothetical: Which gun would you choose (inspired by "Survivorman").

I base my opinion on experience.  Yes, it's just that -- opinion.  There are other great handguns out there.  I feel the best value overall is the Ruger P95 9mm -- absolute reliability for $325 new.  But my experience with GLOCKS have been 100 percent, and there are more GLOCKS in police and military service today than any other make of weapon.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Here here! Nicely said. I have a Glock 19, shoots great, wish I would have got the .40 SW instead of the 9mm though.

Food for thought though, the Roseville Police Dept in California won't let any of their officers don a Glock because of the lack of hammer safety. But you're right, heavily used in law enforcement.

Guest adrenjunky

Alot of dept. around here used to have that rule, well kinda, hammer lock or double action: 1911, sigs, and beretta's ok, glocks no no. Most of the dept. have gone away from that now. Alot of them are going to the new XDs. Anyone fired one yet?

Guest adrenjunky

There are so many handguns that rock :punk: out there now. Glock, sig, springfields, HK, they all are great guns. In the mil tests they all do great and the failour rates are so low it is hard to tell the "best". When you have guns that go 50k rounds with out a hitch....

I don't care what make it is really.  I just want a .22 on my side. I think it's the best caliber for a survival gun because you can carry tons of ammo, it is very accurate, and properly utilized can even drop big game.  Do they make a semi auto 22 mag?  That would be real sweet.

Guest taken by the wind...

~ Super Squirrel has a gun in that camo-suit?  8|

[move]scared011.gif  :squirrel:[/move]

I don't care what make it is really.  I just want a .22 on my side. I think it's the best caliber for a survival gun because you can carry tons of ammo, it is very accurate, and properly utilized can even drop big game.  Do they make a semi auto 22 mag?  That would be real sweet.

AMT made one for a few years called the Automag II, there are probably a few left on the used market.  A lttle long for trail carry maybe, but the extra barrel length helps wring a little more out of the .22 mag cartridge.

AutomagII.jpg.18c713d73b693c54809636443b1b0696.jpg

From what I hear, the Auto Mag II (like a lot of AMT pistols) was notoriously unreliable.

My favorite .22 Mag. pistol is my Single Six, with the maggie cylinder installed.

From what I hear, the Auto Mag II (like a lot of AMT pistols) was notoriously unreliable.

My favorite .22 Mag. pistol is my Single Six, with the maggie cylinder installed.

I was thinking along these lines myself. thou a .22LR doesnt have a lot of stopping power. I do like the the Smith and Wesson 317 (8 rds) or the 617 (10rds) .22lr revolvers. My father left to me a .22LR pump that he taught me to shoot with. I don't have it at the house due to safty issues currently, it is still at my Mom's. But if I ever do decide it is safe to bring a firearm(s) into my home, having a revolver(s) and rifle the same caliber goes a long way towards simplifying things.

but I wouldnt ever want to try and take on a Bigcat or large critter with a .22, no matter how many rounds it holds.

Actually, a lot of cougar hunting in the US is done with a .22.  They hunt with dogs, the dogs tree the cat, and the hunter takes it with a .22 slug behind the ear.

I never had a chance to try the Automag II,  glad now that I never owned one!  Did you hear if it was an issue with the round cycling the action, feeding troubles?  The Ruger Single Six would be great with the interchangeable cylinders, .22LR and .22mag.  Extremely good gun.

I'd wager it had something to do with the length of the case (extraction troubles, perhaps), but I don't really recall just what the problem was.  I just remember reading that a lot of folks had trouble with them.

BTW:  The first picture, the S&W Mountain Gun is actually the .45 Colt version (Model 625) instead of the .44 Mag version (Model 629).  So I cheated a little, so sue me! LOL!