WildSurvive Forum
bestseller92

Do you trust your intuition?

Every human is born with intuition, "instinct", if you want to call it that. This is a remnant of our caveman days, when we had to be concerned with being "Sabre Tooth Tiger Chow" every time we went to gather water.

All too often these days, folks disregard these still useful instinct, often to their peril. I've made a conscious effort to trust my subconscious more in the last few years; it's an ongoing process.

Do you trust your intuition? If you see someone who seems to be fine to your conscious mind, but get a "ding" warning from the back of your head, do you trust that warning or do you ignore it and dismiss it as silly?

If you're walking somewhere and suddenly start to feel uneasy for no apparent reason, do you ignore the feeling or do you suddenly become much more aware of your surroundings?

Subconscious warnings like these are not a cause for drastic action (for instance, you don't start running from the guy who gives you that danger warning from the back of your head, nor do you attack him in a preventitive strike), but they are very useful in keeping us safe by causing us to ratchet up our level of awareness.

Too many people go throught their daily lives in a fog, not taking in or paying attention to their surroundings. These people also often simply ignore the built in warning system their subconscious has provided. Subsequently, they are often taken totally unaware by crisis situations, when, if they'd been paying attention to their surroundings and their subconscious instinctive intuition, they might have been a bit more ready to deal with them.

I trust my instincts implicitly.  They have literally saved my life on several occasions.  I call it my "radar" system.  I don't take the credit, though.  I think it's my guardian angel screaming in my ear! LOL!

It's not a guardian angel, it's your subconscious, your "Lizard Brain" (in the words of Michael Bane), that part of your brain that's primal and concerned only with survival. It knows things our conscious mind doesn't, it pays attention to things our conscious mind doesn't, and it recognizes possibilities (of danger, etc.) that our conscious mind doesn't want to have to deal with.

Guest adrenjunky

Intuition, to me, is that thing inside me that warns and guides me. It not only warns me of danger but guides me to hunting grounds or things of interest.

Just to clarify, when I say "it's not a guardian angel", I don't mean that in a contentious way.  It's whatever you think it is; I'm not saying I'm smart enough to know what everything is or isn't. 

Whatever it is, we ignore it at our peril.

MY super squirrel senses have saved me more times than I can count.  Everything from picking up a speeding to probably saving my life.  You do have to temper your instincts with logic also.  But no matter how long you think about something your first instinct is probably the best thing to go with.

I think that this "instinct" is like a muscle, paying attention to those messages and noting the after effects, storing those results in your mind for re-access when needed, the more you work it the better it becomes.

Like the hairs on the nape of your neck bristling when something is not right "danger".

When that "gut feeling" just churns and won't go away, just before a situation develops.

I think it is very real and also physical, the senses that we do possess working at maximum effeciency gathering bits of information that we process and anylize and combine with this inner sense, probably very primitive, with the results of past encounters. Those with better interpretive skills were the ones who survived and passed on their genes to the following generation, it is us that need to re-establish their use or suffer. 

I mean, yes  moose0024.gif

I trust my intuition, like when I was in school and subconciosly heard an eraiser being put on the desk behind me. I moved my head, and it whizzed right past my ear. :)

Im with Dave. Working in a quarry and construction most of my working life plus every days experiances, there has been several times when I had that "feeling" and adjusted what I was doing that ended up saving my life.

The trick is to let your instincts guide your actions and not ignore them. Those first miners trying to rescue the trapped miners is a perfect example. They had a feeling that things were getting too dangerous and quit digging. Some of the ones who ignored their warning are dead now.

Guest taken by the wind...

~ I never doubt my intuition.  :nono:  My imagination does get carried away at times, :whistle:   but my first initial feeling I always pay attention to.

One night at about midnight I was leaving the hospital and walking to my car alone. This very clean-cut, nice looking thirty-something year old man began walking towards me smiling at me.   :wave:

My first instinct was Extreme wariness. Even though my "Miss manners brain" was telling me he's nice, soften up.....  be sweet. I didn't have a lot of time to think, because he was approaching me fast... making a bee-line for me. So my "Lizard brain" (LOL) took over. When he was about 15 feet from me I stopped and turned to face him, and I yelled at him in an OBVIOUSLY annoyed MEAN voice  "What do YOU want?"  :mad:  He stopped dead in his tracks, and siad "Do you know where I can buy a newspaper?" (something inside me felt bad for being mean, but even so)  I looked at him like he was crazy, and told him "YEAH! Inside the Hospital!"  very Sarcastically. I just stood there staring at him, physically daring him to make another move toward me. I had made up my mind if he kept on towards me, I was running back to the hospital. NO visitors can park anywhere near our parking area. There was no logical reason why he was out there.  He turned and walked back across the parking lot away from the hospital. and away from my car. 

I felt bad, but I was so angry at him. When I could think straight, I realized that I was mad because he had frightened me.  scared011.gif  I also told myself that NO decent man in his right mind would DARE approach a woman who was walking alone in a deserted parking lot in the middle of the night, unless he was up to no good. JUST to ask where to buy a newspaper....   wacky115.gif  WHAT thirty year old can't figure out WHERE to buy a newspaper???    So even though by all appearances he looked like a friendly fellow, my intuition quickly added up all the other factors in seconds, (for me)  and decided that his actions were actually HOSTILE. So I met him with Hostility.  I never thought it through until later. 

Would any of you men feel weird approaching a woman alone in a dark deserted parking lot to ask her a question?  Did I overreact?  :unsure:

I worry the same thing about my wife working second shift at the hospital. Now and than an employee gets their car broken into out there so thats reason enough to not trust strangers out there.

Ive told her that theres a good probabilty that an attacker will grab your arm. I told her to put her arms in front of her and cover her face with her fists. That will have the attacker grab her forearms. Than I told her to pound on his nose as hard as she can like a wild animal. This should throw him off enough for her to break and run screaming at the top of her lungs back towards the hospital.

You did the right thing Taken.

Guest taken by the wind...

~ we have loads of security now. About three security guards per parking lot, who just walk around. An employee was abducted and murdered from the parking lot about two years ago. They probably got sued. That's usually what has to happen before they do anything.  :whistle:

Taken, not to detract from your beauty that would make any man approach you, no matter what the time of day or night, TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS!!! 

It's tougher on a woman because we are taught to be polite, softer, and gentler than guys.  So, when a man approaches us, our first instinct is to smile and be polite.  Predators count on this!!!  So, we need to learn to bypass our upbringing and listen to our gut instincts FIRST, then we can be polite or we can run screaming in the opposite direction.  I'd much rather a stranger think I'm a raving lunatic than for me to get abducted and killed if the person is a predator.  And yes, I have been physically chased three men who were walking together in a parking lot.  But it was at noon, in any open parking lot, at the campus of my college.  I never thought it could happen to me, but it did.  I'm just lucky my instincts made me look up in time.  Oh, and lucky my legs are so long because I outran them! :thumbsup: 

I got a visual of Holly getting smaller by the second. Fading out in the distance.  :vanish:

[move] scared011.gif                    :mad: :mad: :mad:[/move]

I feel sorry for you gals. Only becuase I have never known that fear. I mean, can you imagine three women, stalking me in a parking lot??? But really, being a guy, I don't ever think of things like that. I wouldn't give a second thought to walking through an empty dark parking lot.

Well, most predators DON'T mess with someone who is built like a linebacker and carries himself with the utmost confidence!  :P  But then again, you could be a specific target for someone wanting to tangle with someone just like you!  :o  But I'm sure your well-developed instincts would alert you to that fact well before any trouble started.  :yes:

Naw, I'd just kick em in the groin and run away in a zig zag like pattern screaming like a little girl with my hands thrown over my head....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!  (that's a full, all-out belly laugh!)

OMG, that mental picture just made my day!

Taken, I have to say that I think you reacted in EXACTLY the correct way.  There is no way I would approach a woman in a dark parking lot just to ask such a stupid question.  I believe your instinct served you well!

Holly mentioned one of the most important things in not becoming prey to the human predators: carry yourself with confidence.

If you look like food, you will be eaten.