WildSurvive Forum
Guest adrenjunky

My PSK & PFAK

Guest adrenjunky

PSK

Spark-Lite™ Firestarter - current U.S. military issue, waterproof, useable one-handed, over 1000 sparkings in tests

4 Spark-Lite™ Tinder-Quik™ - current U.S. military issue, waterproof, wax impregnated cotton tinder in zip-top plastic bag, each burns 2-3 minutes

Rescue Flash™ Signal Mirror, 2 x 3 inches (5 x 7.6 cm) Lexan™ polycarbonate with mil-spec style retro-reflective aiming aid for one-handed use, instructions on back, protective cover to prevent scratches while stored in the kit, lanyard hole.

20mm Survival Compass - liquid damped with groove to accept an improvised lanyard ring

Duct Tape - 26 inches x 2 inches (66 x 5 cm), rolled around plastic mandrel, repairs, first aid, the ultimate repair and improvisation component, uses limited only by your imagination

Stainless Steel Utility Wire -3 sections of 6 ft. of .020 inch (1.83 m x 0.5 mm) mil-spec grade, stronger than brass, won't get brittle in frigid cold, multiple uses

Braided Nylon Cord - 10 ft. (3 m) 150+ lb. (68+ kg) test, won't unravel, shelter building, repairs and much more

#69 Black Nylon Thread - 50 ft. (15.2 m), 10.5 lb. (4.8 kg) test, repairs, fishing line, light duty lashing and much more

Fishing Kit - 4 x medium Fish Hooks, 2 x Split Shot and 1 x Snap Swivel, in a clear plastic vial with cap.  

20' 16lbs test fishing line

Heavy Duty Sewing Needle - will penetrate heavy materials, easy to grip, large eye for easy threading

4 Safety Pins - repairs, secure items to prevent loss and much more

Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil - 3 sq. ft. (0.9 sq. m), make container to boil water, reflect fire heat and much more

#2 Pencil and Waterproof Notepaper - 2 pieces 2.125 x 3.667 inches (5.4 x 9.3 cm), leave notes, memory aid, keep log  

#22 Scalpel Blade - stainless steel, in sealed foil packaging, more functional than a single-edged razor blade  

Kit Specific Illustrated Survival Instructions - authored by Doug Ritter, 33 illustrations, on waterproof paper, detailed, easy to understand, practical information

Contents List - viewable through pouch back so anyone can see what's inside even if kit's owner can no longer assist, annotated, complements Survival Instructions, can be used as tinder

Fresnel Lens Magnifier - 2 x 3 inches (5 x 7.6 cm), in protective sleeve, read small type in survival instructions if glasses lost, start fire using sun  

AMK survival blanket

2 Gerber breast milk bags

10 Micropur tabs

3 wet tinder starter (best I've used)

6 REI matches

2 Large rubber bands

10' paracord

1 small beener

1 PSK knife by Scott Gossmann at Razorback knives

1mag fire stick with knife blade attached

2 waterproof bags (what I keep it in)

1 BDU pocket bag

PFAK

6 4by4's

6 2by2's

4 safe pins

4 packs steri strips

3 med containers (Motrin, aspirin, benedrill, Imodium)

4 benzo wipes

6 etoh wipes

4 non stick 4by4 bandages

medical tape

1pack hand wipes

assorted bandages

AMK .7 bag

2 waterproof bags

camelback

water purifier

bug dope

100' para

AMK 2 man bivy

GPS

2 packs tuna

4 packs honey

2 Gatorade

1 liter bottle

1 ACE bandage

1 bottle Purell

1 SAM splint

1 pack TP

1 "ARMY" fire steel

head lamp

extra bat.

1 global compass

1 5' by 7' tarp

3 litter hydration bladder

Been running my mouth long enough though I should show what I carry.

EDITED TO REMOVE BROKEN PIC LINKS

Awesome. Could you add details on what is in the pictures? Like a list or so?

The pictures are great!

Very nice AJ.  I like to get those smaller items in the travel section of Wal Mart too. Like your hand sanitizer.  Nice and compact as well as cheap.  You did a good job.  I too would like a list.  Can't make out the object to the right of the safety pins?  Is it a spare lightbulb?

Guest adrenjunky

Thanks guys I have been carrying this for the last couple years in this form. The only time I don't have it is when I am at work, which I have a diff. one (Doug Ritter added to). As for the list what do you expect it was four in the morning ! ;) J/K it is coming. The object on the right is fish hooks and sinkers.

Guest adrenjunky

Sorry it's not in the pic. but in my camelback I have a Kendrick Traction Device for femur fractures. One of the few fx that can kill you quick.

I don't want to sound stupid but on your list you have a global compass, what is that? I've haven't heard of that before ,and also how usefull is it?

Guest adrenjunky

A global compass is a compass with a needle that can be used in the northern as well as the southern hemisperes. The needle has a wider degree of usage. This helps by not requiring the compass to be level at the time of bearing.

This is from the compass store

Before you can fully understand a "Global Needle", you must understand a few basic principles of a compass.  In order to get an accurate reading from a compass, the compass needle needs to be "balanced" in the capsule, so it does not drag on the top or bottom of the capsule.  But, because the horizontal and vertical components of the earth's magnetic field vary considerably in different locations, a compass needle that "balances" perfect in North America will drag or stick in South America.  As a result of these magnetic variances, the compass industry has divided the earth into 5 "zones", as identified in the map below.  All of the standard compasses sold at The Compass Store are balanced for zone 1 (since most of our sales are in North America).

However, Suunto has developed a patented Global Needle that will perform perfectly with needle tilts of up to 20 degrees.  This allows a single compass to be used effectively in all 5 of the earth's zones (see below).  So when we say that a compass is outfitted with a Global Needle for true world-wide performance, now you know what we mean.

But, what if you're not a world traveler? Why would you want a global needle? Well, the global needle's unique ability to handle tilts up to 20 degrees makes it perfect for hikers that don't want to break their stride. Not having to level the compass exactly makes it easier to take an accurate reading while you're still moving along the trail.

http://www.thecompassstore.com/whatisglobne.html

AJ: your kits are well devised.  I especially appreciate that you have kept up with yours and have it with you.  So many people actually tell me they feel so stupid carrying gear all the time.  I simply state that they would feel even more stupid if they didn't and had a need for it. Just the most simple basic supplies can do so much to keep us alive. I know your training has greatly aided you in having the right mind set. Good for you!  :cool:

Guest adrenjunky

Don't most people don't know. One of the most basic and misunderstood areas in the outdoors is the compass. Very few people understand how to use a compass, let alone put a map and compass together. The web site has a lot of good info on it. And with every compass that they ship they ship the best ever book on Map and Compass work.

LOST thanks. you're gonna make me blush again :)

Guest adrenjunky

Mr. Coffee- that is a HELOS lighter. The Global compass is on the upper right of the Camelbak pic.

Holly- If you accually new of all of the... crap I have.

LOL... and ummm DUH.

I see the pic of the compass now. Interesting lighter. Looked it up on the web and it is a HELIOS stormproof right? $60!?! Hmmmm.

I know what you mean by " If you actually knew all the @#$@%@ I have"...... I am the same way. But at least I dont have to leave my house to outfit my kids... or my grandkids or my great grandkids... (When I had grandkids that is...). Plenty of gear to go around.

I am spartan by nature and hate having a lot of "stuff" anyway.  I like things organized, clean and simple, in all areas of my life.  I think this is great that everyone is sharing what works for them.  I am definitely benefitting from listening to you folks BEFORE buying a bunch of stuff!     :hugegrin:

Ummm.... well I am male so it is pretty difficult to get me to listen to anyone before I do anything :o

Seriously 90% of the reason why I have so much gear is simply because my family outgrew the equipment I was using.  But none of my stuff was bought on impulse... welll not MUCH of it anyways.

Guest adrenjunky

But none of my stuff was bought on impulse...

I wish I could say that. I am a gear junky. But that is because I always look for things that can be lighter, and better. My packs are always changing. The Hellios is one of those, if it has fuel it will light. I like to push things to the edge so I like gear that will go there with me. Some of that is the newest and greatest; and some of it is the old and tested (like Filson). Before I found sites like this I had to do all the testing myself and now I can also learn from others :thumbsup:.

Guest adrenjunky

Everytime I am in the woods this is what I carry. Unfortunatly I am restricted in what I carry at work. So I carry a little different one. But that is and can be supplimented by what we have at work. Also when I am at work the dangers and needs are different then when I am in the woods.

Everytime I am in the woods this is what I carry. Unfortunatly I am restricted in what I carry at work. So I carry a little different one. But that is and can be supplimented by what we have at work. Also when I am at work the dangers and needs are different then when I am in the woods.

Like you, I have to be careful what I carry at work. My leatherman and SAK are frowned apon when I wear them on my belt. It isnt considered "Professional Atire". In reality, BOBs and PSKs are easy for the car, or at home, but one that can be taken anywhere is a bit harder to come up with. I have a friend who had a 12" prybar/crowbar in his kit, and he got stopped be the cops for speeding. They searched his truck, found his BOB and thought it was a "burglary tools". It wasnt a real issue, but a pain to deal with at the time.

Mr. Coffee:

Sorry for not responding more quickly.

In answer to carrying my PSK, the answer is 24/7/365, except in the shower.

Always in reach.