WildSurvive Forum
Holly

Taken by the wind and Holly - Going Camping Together! - October 5th

Okay, folks!  We're finally getting our plans together for our first camping/hiking trip together!  :thumbsup: 

We are planning to head up to Black Mountain, near Asheville, North Carolina on Friday, October 5th until Sunday, October 7th.  We will need some help with what to take, how much food will we need, what kind of gear should we bring, and any advice you can give us to help make our trip special.

And yes, we WILL camcord as much of it as we can!  However, some content may be edited for young viewers... :P

Guest taken by the wind...

~ Holly...  in order for me to know what to take, and how to prepare, I need to know more about this place. I take it we aren't Hiking into the wilderness, and doing a "Dave thing" are we? :scared: And I'm pretty sure we won't be chopping down limbs and building a makeshift shelter like Machine does will we?  :unsure:  We won't have to make fire like Woods does, or go fly-fishing like TheKing...(and please don't make me cook a whole chicken in a pot of boiling water Gandar style)  happy097.gif    How far away is our vehical gonna be from where we camp? Miles? yards? feet? inches?  :whistle:

Are we going camping, and taking walks on wilderness trails? (Or as Woods says, camping in a trailor park) LOL! Because if we are, I won't need to buy much extra stuff. If I'm only Hiking  around for a couple of hours, I don't need to haul much with me. Unless I have to always be prepared to get lost.  :whistle: In that case I know you won't share your candy.  :glare:

Anyway, I need more info. I wanna camp Bravo Style... with a big ole bag of charcoal and some lighter fluid! LOL! A  floppy-eared dog, and stuff.  :thumbsup: Kind of like S.K.'s  backyard camping... only in the woods a bit.  :hugegrin:

But whereever you go, I can handle it. I promise.  :thumbup:

~ oh... and how cold will it be there in October?  Nevermind, I googled it. The normal monthly "average" minimal temp. for October there is about 40F.

Hey Dave? I don't remember what my sleeping bag is rated for? is it warm enough?      For ME I mean?  :unsure:

Watch Man Vs Wild and you willl be all set.......  taunt12.gif

Seriously, this sounds like a fun time.  If you need shelter tips I am here for you.  :hugegrin: 

happy070.gif

Watch Man Vs Wild and you willl be all set.......  taunt12.gif

I'd take Machine's advice, go play in the woods during the day, drive back to the Marriott at night! Order room service, ask for "well done" to simulate campfire cooking...

~ so.  You two are discouraging us?  :unsure:

Holly. I never expected this kind of response.  :nono:

~ OH? well I should've gone with my GUT instinct first then Buck-O! :box:

You don't think two southern women can make it in the real woods? NOT some campground.... but the REAL woods? you know what? Our Mamma's Mamma's were out cutting the throats of chickens, and plowing fields during the depression! they were putting up corn, peas, and tomatoes, (canning vegetables), so that they could feed their extended families through the winter! PLUS they ALL had FULL time jobs to boot! during the WAR! (when their husbands and sons were gone!) they tended to the sick, fed the poor around them, and killed rattlesnakes with their bare hands! (by snapping their necks!) cool14.gif

You have NO idea the lineage of FEMALE survival DNA that you are messing with!

(oops... just channeled great Grandma Johnson) she's a fire ball...

Yeah! Well I had to walk to school up hill, both ways, 10 feet a snow, bare footed, with a wedgie, and rode naked (except for wedgied underwear) in a truck full of alligators the last 2 miles. My teacher was so tough, she ironed her own shirts.....while WEARING them! So tough her poop scared flies away. And when we got out a line, we'd get the board of education, it was a board about three feet long , made of hickory.

Disclaimer: This rant has absolutely nothing to do with two of my favorite gals going camping by themselves

~ OH? well I should've gone with my GUT instinct first then Buck-O!   :box:

And Grandma Johnson gonna give you a lickin for disrespecting your elders....it's Mr.Buck-o to you missy!

~Our Mamma's Mamma's were out cutting the throats of chickens...

Dang, you're Mamma's Mamma was in a tough gang, did she put "cement shoes" on those chickens too? Throw em in the pond? Or take a tommy gun and "mow em down"? Poor little chickens. Hate to hear how the turkeys got it.... 8|

~ no.... Great Grandma Johnson never met me. :cry: She passed way before I ever came along. But her DNA is in me... so she is too. I think if she was here, she'd say "Rocky? What's up with you son? why is a grown man spinning around on two wheels stiring up dust? When he could be digging in that dirt putting down some roots?" cool14.gif

I have NO IDEA why she said that.... I totally understand your passion for dirtbike racing, but she doesn't come from that time. :unsure:

So... don't get mad at ME. Get mad at Grandma. :whistle:

Dang, you're Mamma's Mamma was in a tough gang, did she put "cement shoes" on those chickens too? Throw em in the pond? Or take a tommy gun and "mow em down"? Poor little chickens. Hate to hear how the turkeys got it.... 8|

~ they killed to eat. It wouldn't make sense to put them at the bottom of a pond! or mow them down and spread them all over the henhouse now would it?  :woot:

LOL.....I could darn near "feel" that smack upside my head!

Ok, no more playin....gotta go to the kids' Back To School night.

I'll give hell to ya later..... :kiss:

Dang, you're Mamma's Mamma was in a tough gang, did she put "cement shoes" on those chickens too? Throw em in the pond? Or take a tommy gun and "mow em down"? Poor little chickens. Hate to hear how the turkeys got it....

happy097.gif

Good luck Taken and Holly, have fun :angel: and stay healthy :brush:, alright?

~ ok, just don't blame me... blame great grandma. She's the tough one. Seriously. She just comes out and has her say sometimes...  8|

~ she was like the country "wise woman" the healer... (when people got stabbed or shot, they were brought to her) she passed on all sorts of folklore to her kids. She was born here, but her mom was straight from Ireland.  I guess that's where she got her spunk!  :thumbup:  That's as far back as I know about my family history.  :whistle: 

except that they ALL stuck together... like family. That's fading rapidly in my extended family.

~ thank you Dave. For bringing things BACK on topic. And for letting me know I wont be too cold (as long as the temps follow seasonal predictions)  :unsure:

I think you both will have a great time.  Make sure you have tea or coffee.  That will keep you nice and warm. 

LOL!  With our luck, we'll get caught in some freak snowstorm and freeze our southern butts right off! :woot:

~ LOL! yeah... I'll be eating my words and Ole Great grandma Johnson will be kicking my azz all the way home! happy097.gif