WildSurvive Forum
Holly

Taken by the wind and Holly - Going Camping Together! - October 5th

Guest taken by the wind...

~ I don't wanna sissy camp either Holly. Let's  hike to someplace and set up a real camp. I think we can do it too. I mean how hard can it be?  We'll survive for three days, then walk out of there. With nothing but the bare essentials. We won't even shower. If you wanna we can even fish, and eat berries and stuff. I think it would be way more fun to test ourselves like that.  :thumbup:

we should take a poll. Who would rather see us go survival camping? Or who would rather see us go trailor park camping?  :unsure:

we should take a poll. Who would rather see us go survival camping? Or who would rather see us go trailor park camping?  :unsure:

I say something in the middle. Bring a small backpack full of the "conveniency" non-bottom line stuff just in case you're not enjoying yourselfs but otherwise go bore bones.

I say something in the middle. Bring a small backpack full of the "conveniency" non-bottom line stuff just in case you're not enjoying yourselfs but otherwise go bore bones.

Agreed.  You can rough it without going totally hard-core survivalist.  A tent, sleeping bags and pads, and food.  Practice the most basic things like fire starting, shelter building, etc.   Just have fun!  :D

~ uh.... K-Bob... those things you just listed ARE the bare bones stuff I was talking about. I wouldn't go camping with nothing! Like Survivorman does. He's crazy! LOL!

~ uh.... K-Bob... those things you just listed ARE the bare bones stuff I was talking about. I wouldn't go camping with nothing! Like Survivorman does. He's crazy! LOL!

Well, I could do without most of it, except the FOOD!   :rofl:  Gots ta eat!  moose0024.gif

Okay!  I found the perfect place!!!  :thumbsup:  It's primitive though, no showers! :o  The campsites are booking up fast since that's peak leaf changing season, so I went ahead and booked us a site online. 

Here's where we're headed...

http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/wncwaterfalls/linvillefalls.htm

Taken, we'll have to take bucket baths before bedtime! :woot:  Do you have any idea how COLD we're gonna be???  Two Southern women in the mountains in the late fall???  :rofl:  Dave, you might want to send Taken a zero degree sleeping bag!  I'll be so bundled up, if a bear grabs me, all he'll get is a mouthful of flannel! :rofl: 

Oh cool!!!  I just found ANOTHER campground at Linville WITH hot showers! :rofl:  OMG, I have reservations all over the place right now!  LOL! 

TWO MORE WEEKS!!!  WHOO HOO!!! :thumbsup:

I am SO excited!  I'm going to Linville Falls first thing in the morning to check out this other campsite.  I have a good feeling about this one! :yes:  And if it doesn't look perfect, I have reservations at two other campgrounds! :hugegrin:

Taken, we are going to have such a cool time! :thumbsup:

~ Oh well... with my trusty sleeping bag, I'm sure I'll be warm. I guess I need to get some other stuff...  :unsure:

I really need some new tires on my van. I don't wanna drive with the ones I have now. I'll have to add that to my list.

~ I don't know how cool it is up in N.C. but it's still hot as hell in GA. It has cooled off to a nice 85 this evening. :glare: My strategy will be as it always has to be in the South... the art of layering... I love layers. You can add them as needed, or peel them off to the bare essentials. :thumbup:  It can be cold in the morning, and hot in the afternoon.

Okay, I found THE perfect place! :thumbsup:  Here are some pics while I was on the Blueridge Parkway today.  Our campsite is close to the Linville Falls.  Taken, it's REALLY deep in the woods.  I hope a bear doesn't eat us! :scared:

Entranceway into the campground.

blowingrock014zn9.jpg

The VERY narrow gravel road leading to our campsite.  We're on the backside of the campground, right up against a mountain!

blowingrock015ta5.jpg

This is our site!  Some people had two tents on it, it's pretty big.  But it's very secluded, Taken, and it's going to be so dark and scary at night!!!

blowingrock017lo3.jpg

Here are some pics taken on the Blue Ridge Parkway leading to our campsite.  It was sprinkling part of the day, so some of the pics are a bit dark.

blowingrock003pl6.jpg

blowingrock004xw5.jpg

blowingrock005ak8.jpg

blowingrock006dc1.jpg

blowingrock008wl2.jpg

If you look closely, you can see the "Mile High Swinging Bridge" on the top of Grandfather Mountain

blowingrock009sg2.jpg

Here, you can see the Mile High Swinging Bridge and also the Viaduct.  I walked on the Viaduct while it was still under construction back in 1979!

blowingrock010ih0.jpg

blowingrock012hz0.jpg

blowingrock013cz0.jpg

OH MY whats not to like with that. I noticed the tent area is on a crowned road. Thats good to let water flow away from the tent. Not exactly nice grass to crawl out on but very fireproof. You might want to include a throw rug for your doorway. You will also be able to hear the serial rapist crunching on the gravel as he sneaks up.  :P  :yes:

~ Holly that looks great. It will be like camping out in a driveway! LOL!  happy097.gif  You should've not posted anything, because I'm sure if we aim the camera off into the woods, it will look like we're really deep into the wilderness.  :P :rofl: