WildSurvive Forum
Kentucky Bob

Firearm Safety

Number 9:  Store firearms and ammunition separately.

If you remember the story about the 12/20 blast (under rule #4), you already know about storing ammo in it's original boxes.  I also spoke of keeping a firearm unloaded (rule #5).  When you store your guns and ammo, do you put them both in the same place?  If you have a gun cabinet, it may have a drawer or shelves for storage.  There are a couple of scenarios that we should look at.

Kids are smart.  Given time they can figure things out, and with the tv and internet to teach them, they will figure out how to insert a cartridge into a gun.    Sometimes we forget and leave keys laying out.  If a child (or adult, for that matter) finds those keys and decides to do a little "exploring," they may gain access to both guns and ammo if it's all stored together.  It's best to store ammo away from the firearms under it's own lock and key (I used to lock ammo up in a file cabinet in another room). 

Worse yet, what if someone breaks into your home?  Don't make the shopping any easier by leaving them the means to load your guns.  A gun cabinet refers to one of the wood and glass cabinets and are more like furniture than a security device.  They just sort of keep the guns secure from the kids and stray relatives.  You can find all sorts of different models, some with plexiglass instead of glass.  A metal cabinet is better, they have no glass to break out and can be bolted to a wall stud.  They are lightweight though, and if it isn't bolted down it's easy to carry away.  Usually, a crow bar will eventually get one open. The best security is a good gun safe.  There are plenty of types out there, but a safe is much heavier, can be bolted to a wall or floor, are just about impossible to pry open, and you can even get one that's fire-resistant.  You can find them new starting around $599.99 (Wal Mart has a nice fire-resistant one for that price), which is a real bargain when you consider how much money may be tied up in a gun collection.  Cheap insurance for a family with lots of firearms!

And finally, Number 10: Avoid alcoholic beverages or other mood-altering drugs before or while shooting.

Again, you would think that this would be common sense.  However, all too often there are those who can't seem to do anything without a drink or ten.  You wouldn't want to give a drunk the keys to the car, so you can imagine the consquences of a drunk having the keys to the gun cabinet.  It's just about impossible to get these folks to change their ways, too.  You can lecture, cajole, plead or bargain with them, but usually to no avail.  If you go out on a hunt with them and they pull out the hooch, LEAVE.  Let them know you'll have no part of any sort of mixture of gun powder and alcohol.  It's YOUR hide on the line.  If they become a danger to others, call the state Dept of Fish & Wildlife/game warden.  And I will personally have NOTHING to do with anyone who takes drugs.  Period.

One thing some may not think of: cold remedies.  A cold or allergies may mean you need a strong cold medicine.  If it can cause drowsiness it would be best not to take a chance and go hunting with it in your system.  That goes for any medicine that has a warning label like "Do not drive or operate machinery."  Take a shot of cold medicine while in a deer stand, and you may take a chance of falling out of it, too.  Use your best judgement and  avoid any situation where you may be impaired.  You need to be at your sharpest when you handle a firearm.

Well, there you have it.  The Ten Commandments of Gun Safety.  Follow these rules and you have a good start.  If you can, get into a Hunter Education course or NRA course.  Not only will you have the opportunity to learn a few new tricks, but you'll have the chance to meet other hunters and shooters.  We all have to set an example for others and take our responsibility as gun owners seriously.  A gun is like any other tool.  For instance, a chainsaw sitting there by itself isn't hazardous.  If handled foolishly, it can cause serious harm.  Firearms are only as dangerous as those who handle them.

Good Hunting!  :thumbup:

:pray:  {{{{{KENTUCKY BOB!!!}}}}}  :party:

Thank you SO much for all the time and effort and thoughtfulness you put into this.  I PROMISE, I will obey ALL the rules when I get my gun! :yes:

Guest taken by the wind...

~ uh.... I'll take one of those shirts swede... LOL!  :thumbsup: