WildSurvive Forum
jcs71

odd pieces of gear for a long term bob

Hi there. My name is Jason. This is my second post on this forum.

I was thinking today in the shower and thought that a shower liner which costs one or two dollars at a dollars store and comes in many colors would be a good addition to a long term BOB. The reason I say this is because it is waterproof and would also be wind proof. A person would be able to use this for putting across the top of their shelter if they were to get stuck out in the boonies for a while.

Another piece of gear for a person I thought would be good is a can of bouillon cubes. They come in many flavors like chicken, beef, garlic, garlic and onion, vegetable, tomato and others. They could not only be used as spices for a meal but they could be used for broth for meals or to drink. Hot broth on a cold morning tastes pretty good.

I thought I would posts these ideas and get your thoughts on them as well. :)

Sounds cool JCS! Are you gonna count every post, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,ect lol? Just giving you a Hard time! The shower curtain is a good idea! I have a tarp I use for that purpose but If you don't have one that would work! How long are those cubes good?

First Hello Jason and welcome.

I like the shower curtain idea its a lot easier to manage than a piece of sheeting. You could cut a hole in the center of it to make an emergency rain coat also.

Guest taken by the wind...

~ that's a cool idea! Plus the shower liners already have holes punched in them for easy securing.

Bullion cubes last FOREVER! LOL! They take up VERy little space. Would make just about anything more palatable (even gandars boiled chicken) Great ideas JC. :thumbup:

Just a tip make sure the bullion container has a good seal cause my mom was complaining that the stuff she buys in Canada has these craptastic lids that dont seal well which let the moister in and in a few months it turns rock hard. So yeah make sure you gota good container

Welcome to the forum, jcs!  Given it's size (and price), I would guess you're right about the shower curtain.  It would probably have a thicker plastic than the little "emergency" tents that people put into kits (anyone have any experience with those?). 

Oh, and I've just put boullion cubes on the shopping list.... :thumbup:

One thing i have in my BOB (long term as well) is a small container of baby powder. Sound silly, but the powder goes long way to helping dry out cold wet feet, especially if you've walked a long way in wet boots. More of a comfort thing, but I always have it.

One other item I have in every BOB, 72hr Kit, FAK, and car is at least one 58mm SAK or a SwissCard. Having the blade, sissors, tweezers are so handy it just isnt worth not carrying them. I pick mine up from Tim at felinevet.sosakonline.com for $5 each. Cheap for the amount of use you'll get from it.

One last thing I have in our Family BOB is a bunch of glow in the dark stars, as well as "blue paw prints" (From Blue's clues). I use the stars to mark the basic area of the camp site as boundry's the kids dont go outside of, and the paw prints for games with the boys.

Not your normal survival stuff, but they weight nothing, and take up no really additional space and can make a big difference. :)

Very cool Mrcoffee. I too have baby powder for those very reasons.

That's a good idea about the stars and pawprints.

MrCoffee;

I like the idea about baby powder. I just wrote that down on my shopping list. I am currently looking a getting a couple of SAK's to compliment my multitools. I have a few models I am choosing between.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but if it has than it is just a friendly reminder. I have always tried to carry baby wipes, for those times after you give your daily contribution to society. Makes you feel a little fresher. :hugegrin:

Something else I thought of but it mainly applies to if you are adrift out at sea or in a huge lake like the Great Lakes in a life raft or boat and don't have a radio that can reach out. The item is called a sea die marker. It comes in a small container and containes a flourescent(spell?) powder that mixes with the water in a small area and turn the water a flourescent color so aircraft can easily spot you. We had those in the Navy. Plus they are fun if you have a neighbor you don't care for and he has a swimming pool. Of course I wouldn't know anything about that. :whistle:

Guest adrenjunky

Plus they are fun if you have a neighbor you don't care for and he has a swimming pool. Of course I wouldn't know anything about that. :whistle:

happy097.gif

MrCoffee;

I like the idea about baby powder. I just wrote that down on my shopping list. I am currently looking a getting a couple of SAK's to compliment my multitools. I have a few models I am choosing between.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but if it has than it is just a friendly reminder. I have always tried to carry baby wipes, for those times after you give your daily contribution to society. Makes you feel a little fresher. :hugegrin:

Something else I thought of but it mainly applies to if you are adrift out at sea or in a huge lake like the Great Lakes in a life raft or boat and don't have a radio that can reach out. The item is called a sea die marker. It comes in a small container and containes a flourescent(spell?) powder that mixes with the water in a small area and turn the water a flourescent color so aircraft can easily spot you. We had those in the Navy. Plus they are fun if you have a neighbor you don't care for and he has a swimming pool. Of course I wouldn't know anything about that. :whistle:

:woot:  Or, if you could find an institutional-size container of Jell-O....

~ that's a cool idea! Plus the shower liners already have holes punched in them for easy securing.

Bullion cubes last FOREVER! LOL! They take up VERy little space. Would make just about anything more palatable (even gandars boiled chicken) Great ideas JC.  :thumbup:

I think they are good ideas jc, also "Herb-Ox" (and maybe some others) makes a powdered bullion that comes in a box and is sealed in little foil pouches...., I use it in cooking sometimes, it may last even longer in the field than the little cubes, would definitely survive getting wet, and is much easier to use if you're using it for seasonong only, also with it there is less "fuel" needed to disolve it as well, just a thought.

An oxo cube was always on the list of content in a survival kit until recently, many books that list survival kit contents and most survival kits dont have any oxo cubes in them nowadays.

Bullion in a survival kit is a very useful addition, it replaces valuable salts lost, it hides the taste of fowl tasting water and most importantly it gives you a warm tasty i am all right sort of drink.

An oxo cube was always on the list of content in a survival kit until recently, many books that list survival kit contents and most survival kits dont have any oxo cubes in them nowadays.

Bullion in a survival kit is a very useful addition, it replaces valuable salts lost, it hides the taste of fowl tasting water and most importantly it gives you a warm tasty i am all right sort of drink.

Good point...., the warm familiarity can have a great impact on the psychological well being, and slow down a panic  or anxiety attack which is very important

One thing I think is important in a long term bob is pictured here but no-one else has mentioned it, and I haven't seen any in any pics. Though I am here to learn the more primitive arts of survival, like it or not we are currently in a modern age, and many modern items are likely to have to be dealt with in a real world survival situation. I believe a mix of primitive and modern knowledge is a good thing. How many people imediately recognize it, and just out of curiosity....., how many know it's military (U.S. at least, curious about the others myself) nomenclature?

PICT0204.jpg

how many know it's military (U.S. at least, curious about the others myself) nomenclature?

P38

I have a few of these in each bag. They are amazing.

P38

I have a few of these in each bag. They are amazing.

Yep...., for fifty cents a piece at the surplus store, they wiegh almost nothing, and they sure will save on your knife edge in the field opening cans. Not to mention they are actually quicker and much easier to use opening cans than a knife unless you've had practice. I carried one on a key chain once....., still have the scars to prove it lol.