WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dark Squirrel

Super Squirrel's moose video

I awoke one morning and could hear  this strange noise.  WUNK WUNK WUNK.  Very softly.  I could hear it getting closer.  At first I thought it was a bird then it dawned on me that it was a MOOSE!. :woot:  I grabbed my camcorder and unzipped my tent door and watched the moose walk by our campsite.  Once I got stood up I started shooting video.  Man I was nervous because I knew it was mating season and the males get very irritable at this time.  I got REAL nervous when the moose turned around and started walking back towards me :scared:.  I scooted over and put a huge pine tree between me and it in case it charged I'd have something to hide behind.  I got concerned when I realized I had a friend who was in his tent that couldn't move because of a blown disk in his back.  I could just picture that moose running over the tent trying to get to me.  Maybe it could have fixed his back? :hmm:  Probably not. happy097.gif  It eventually turned and walked into the woods and I followed it around for about 10 minutes.  All the time it was keeping one eye on me.  I walked out to the main road thinking the moose was going to cross but then it turned and walked out onto the campsite road between me and my friend.  There was nothing for me to put between me and the moose so I decided if it was going to come at me I was going to jump into a drainage ditch and crawl into the culvert pipe. happy061.gif  It crossed that park and tried to cross the main road down by the park owners house.  It was there only for a few seconds then it walked back into the park and I lost soght of it.  Mark the park owner came down and told me that he saw the moose and it was the biggest one he's ever seen.  We guessed his weight at about 1500 pounds.  Mark also told me that the wunk wunk noise was their mating call. :loveu:  The video doesn't really do justice to how close it was to me.  At times it was between 15-20 yards away.  A moose can cross that distance in no time flat.

Once in a life time adventure Dave. He looks to be a young bull. I wonder why he was courious about you because he didnt look like he was mad or like he was going to charge. He looked more courious than anything. See what I mean about being able to shoot one that close. Not much of a challange like maybe trying to shoot a squirrel.  oops.gif  I mean a rabbit.    :blush:

Once in a life time adventure Dave. He looks to be a young bull. I wonder why he was courious about you because he didnt look like he was mad or like he was going to charge. He looked more courious than anything. See what I mean about being able to shoot one that close. Not much of a challange like maybe trying to shoot a squirrel.   oops.gif  I mean a rabbit.    :blush:

Well I did have my black fleece jacket and pants on.  All I could think is that he thought I was a black bear.

Guest taken by the wind...

~ The Moose was probably thinking "why is that bear just standing there like that? He doesn't look like he wants to charge me... hmm, maybe he's just cuious about me, and I wonder where he got that cool video recorder?" :unsure:

Dave, that was the coolest thing! I LOVE watching wiildlife. :bounce: :clap: I would've been scared.... hell, I was scared just watching the video. :scared: especially when it turned around and looked at you. 8| I can't believe how calm you were. :nono:

I think it's awsome how in your mind, you were already planning exactly what you were going to do, if he decided to charge you! :whistle: You had more than one plan going on too, it sounds like everywhere you moved your mind was rethinking your strategy! LOL! and at the same time taking some awsome video! cool14.gif (some of those video-taking victims on "when good animals go bad" could learn a thing or two from you!) :thumbup: (it's like they don't think until it's too late to even think about thinking.) :blink:

thanks for taking us there. :arigato:

How tall was he? It's hard to judge because there was nothing in the foreground for scale. I know they're big. How tall is a male moose?

Guest taken by the wind...

~ nevermind... I googled it! :hugegrin: A male moose can stand between 6.5 to 7 feet at the "shoulder"...

that's pretty darn tall... 8| so it must have been well over Super Squirrel's head. scared011.gif

Well I did have my black fleece jacket and pants on.  All I could think is that he thought I was a black bear.

It wouldn't be the first time you were thought to be a black bear! :woot:

Wow Dave, you got lucky.  We're pretty close to rutting season and he could have turned mean on you pretty fast.  You're a braver man than I, I only antagonized a cow moose.  All in all, amazing vid thought!!

Thanks buddy.  I did get highly nervous a few times.  For a while I forgot that I was recording and pointed the camera down.   Then hen I wanted to shoot I pointed it, clicked the button and stopped recording.  I got several minutes of the ground and random trees.   doh.gif oops.gif