WildSurvive Forum

What do you think the best Vehicle for survival would be? Many people are starting to buy small city cars so they can handle the traffic better in cities. But such a vehicle would be useles in a city survival situation. Think of a flood, or a hurricane - they won't stand a chance.

I'm thinking between a pick-up truck and a dedicated 4x4 off-road car. Equipped with a dust motor bike, or a mountain-bike for situation when the truck/4-wheel can't be used.

Let's keep this realistic - and no Humvees or APCs  :woot:

i think you are probably on the right track, but remember, a four wheel drive is only usefull if there is somewhere to use it or where there are not a whole lot of people with them that will clog up your escape. So a bike, motor or peddle powered, is never a bad idea. just be sure that you are fit enough to use it for extended periods.

Obviously I would want a Hummer, but seeing as to how that is against the rules.  I think I would take a 4x4 truck (crew cab) with 3 dirtbikes in the back (this is if $$$$ is no object).  That way if we get into a situation my truck couldn't go, there was a bike for me, my wife and son and my daughters can ride with me and my wife.  So my family can still get away from the area.

I agree with Machine ; if money is no object; a 4 x 4 truck a few dirt bikes AND a boat for in case it floods  :thumbsup:

Fortunately, where I live it is very rural, so going the back roads won't be too much of a hassle. Although, due to harsh weather at times we have a 4x4 pick up ready to go across the hillsides. Walking out is always going to be a final resort, as putting distance between you and a disaster is of the utmost importance.

Anything that will get you away from the worst of the stuff, is the best idea. Whether it be in a four wheel drive, a dirt bike, a pedal bike, or a boat. anything that will help is worth the cost in my opinion.

Something that runs on fuel - its important to save your energy. Think about it - no food, going 100km with a bike - you loose ALL your energy.

Vehicle - Jeep 4x4 + Jerry Cans of Fuel

Boat - 14ft Aluminum Jon Boat: Very handy in a huricane ravaged flooded areas.

CHAIN SAW!!! to be used in either vehicle/vessel when your path becomes unpassable.

Alot of people want the 4x4 jeep, or a nice big truck as their urban survival vehicle. but let me say a few things.

1. gas is going to quickly become the new gold. everyone will want all the gas they can get for their own vehicles. also, new gas wont be comming in, so whats in the pumps will be the last there will be for a while.

2. in a real urban environment, like a big city, there will be absolutely no use for a car. it will not be able to take you out of the city. everyone in the city will be thinking "i gota get outa here, its chaos!" and they will all be on the highway trying to get out. it will be completely backed up, bumper to bumper.  Its like that in the morning rush hour to get to work, if its like that on a normal day, it sure as hell is gona be like that during a disaster!!!

Now before you start typing up your nasty reply, hear me out. i do think a vehicle is important especially if your already out of the city and in the country or a more rural area. in that case its great! BUT, the one vehicle i think everyone should have is a bike. one for each person. you can put a bike rack on your jeep or put them in the back of your truck, because once you run outa gas, and if you cant find any more. or for some reason your truck breaks down or you get in a traffic jam you just gota get out of. just get the hell outa the vehicle and grab your BOB and get on the bike. a good mountain bike will last a long time and will take you through just about any terrain. they are also easy to fix and light.

this is why i think a good mountain bike is the most reliable of survival vehicles, especially when paired up with a good 4x4

thank you crazy, that was exactly what i had in mind by posting about a bike.  Although were i live a four wheel drive will get me out as far as it will go with the gas i have, ( i live in Iowa on the edge of the city, with less than a mile to country roads and farm fields.  I will get out but the bike is a back up for me. as you said fuel will be at a limited supply so something that requires no outside energy source than your own is what i want.  True you will expend your energy on the bike, but if it is imperitive to get out then i am willing to expend some energy to get what i need.

i agree with all of you, 4X4, bikes and boat. but for the boat i would choose inflatebles because they're much more easy to carry arrownd. just imagine yourself in a 4X4 with a big old boat trailing behind you in a danger situation wich usualy means hard traffic

Depending on the reason for leaving we have a 4x4 small truck with a "camping/survival" trailer to extract ourselves with or a quad with the same trailer.

Trailer is a boxed affair with a rack for our square stern canoe. The trailer has all the room our "camping equipment" and supplies that we need and is ready to go at a moments attachment.

Keep in mind you dont NEED a hummer as you BOV, and it might not be a great idea even if you do have that kind of cash. As mentioned, gas might be hard to come by. And worse, when people see a Hummer, they think "Great the army is here!" or "Gee, I wish I had that!" In either case, you might find yourself fending off a lot of people that wish they had a Hummer too, so they decide to try and take yours.

A older Toyota 4Runner and Pickups had a 22R 4-cyl engine, that was much better on gas. And tough as hell. The older (1989-1991) Isuzu Troopers had a great 4-cyl engine, and it had a ton of cargo space. With the stock 5speed, our Trooper went everywhere my Jeep did. It wouldnt go above 85 or so, but it ran a long time on a single tank of gas. I dont live in a hugely populated area, but still if all 90-100 thousand locals tried to leave at once, it would be a horror show.

Just something to consider. :)

MrCoffee you have a good point there. Gas could be a big problem, if we stay and think about it, gas could be the reason for a future world conflict. I would choose a bike - a fast and light one, but well made. Or perhaps a small motorcycle, with 1L/100km with 20L of gas you can get pretty far. If you run out of gas you can use the paddles.

4x4s are nice, but they don't stop no better than any other vehicle. :hugegrin:  People tend to forget that fact when they're up to speed on icy roads. :help:

We have two vehicles, one a new 06 that the wife drives and a 93 pickup with nearly 200,000 miles on it, that I use to bash around in.  Neither would be my choice in an emergency, but the PU is a bit more rugged and hauls a lot more and can be used as accomodations in a pinch, so it's our go to.

I've been doing a bit of pedaling and the old knees aren't liking it too much, but even after a short time, I can see the advantage to the pedal bikes over other forms of transportation.  That being they don't need fuel.  The big hangup I'd have using bikes is that the rider is in the open, traveling slowly and is really a sitting duck to anyone wishing to do them harm or get their gear.  Yeah, I'm still up in the air as to whether they are a good idea or not.

A good peddle style mountain bike would be good to add to the back of a pick up, just in case you have to abandon the truck.  We have just found an older kids red wagon with the wooden sides. We are rebuilding and reinforcing it to hook onto the back of the bikes for the gear to be pulled behind so that not everything has to be on the back of the bikes, making them easier to manuver. This is similar to the way Indians use to use a sled behind a horse when they traveled.

Guest Lead Dog

Lost, it is funny you mentioned the travois.  We recently purchased a wagon for the kids and I was looking for a yoke and harness for a dog to pull the wagon.  In my search, I came across information on a travois.  I may try to construct one for one of the dogs once things settle down around here.

I guess you could always use something like this if you have man's best friend along and don't have a dog pack for him.

While a bike is a great idea, I tend to discard them as a BOV. To limited, and more importantly, if all members of your family can't ride, it is nearly impossible to carry gear plus the non riding members. They also make it harder to keep the entire group together and off no protection from the elements. Kids will tired much faster then adults, slowing progress.

IMHO it is better to move as a group close together on foot then risk being spread out on bikes.

It looks like our current BOV (Ford Bronco II) is going to soon be replaced by my Dodge Durango (I know, not my ideal BOV, but it is what I have). My Durango is my current daily driver. I am hoping as I build it into a BOV, I will be able to post some photos.

Archer is right about a 4X4 not stopping any better then anything else, we see it all the time in winter around here, people speeding in the ice and snow. A BOV can easily be a 2 wheel drive vehicle, it doesnt have to be a 4 wheel. But having 4 wheel does make handling slick dirt roads, wintery roads, easier to handle. (When paired with common sense).  But if you are in an area that sees little snow, or never plan to take the rig off the pavement, then it makes little difference.

Yes travois - that's it. Thanks. They have been around for ever and wheels are best.

Mr. Coffee - I have to agree I would traverse by foot if it came right down to it, but there are ways to make all things easier. Look at how the homeless use shopping carts. Wheel of technology.

Guest Lead Dog

It looks like our current BOV (Ford Bronco II) is going to soon be replaced by my Dodge Durango (I know, not my ideal BOV, but it is what I have). My Durango is my current daily driver. I am hoping as I build it into a BOV, I will be able to post some photos.

Hey, Mr. Coffee!  What are you planning to do to your Durango?  I would think most stock 4x4s are pretty capable.  I am very curious what you are planning to add to yours to enhance it.

Guest Lead Dog

Lead dog, along with the travois idea, install some wheels to the tail end and it will proceed much easier.

I agree that wheels would be best, especially for the dogs.  :)  I don't know that I would use a travois as part of a bug out solution, but it got me thinking about using it in a wilderness situation.

I might just try it as a little project.

Lead Dog, I am looking at making a mountain bike pulled trailer made out of a shopping cart wire body with bicicle wheels attached and an arched tongue hitched to the rear seat post on a pivot.

Also looking at a hand pull cart like the ones Cabelas offers as deer cart, with their price I am not sure I can build one for cheaper.

Hey, Mr. Coffee!  What are you planning to do to your Durango?  I would think most stock 4x4s are pretty capable.  I am very curious what you are planning to add to yours to enhance it.

Hey LD,

Well most any 4X4 are quite useful as a BOV, but quite honestly, I feel most are NOT really setup "out of the box" to be lived out of for any amount of time. While my Durango is a "full sized" 4 wheel drive, one the kids are in their car seats and the wondernutts are in the cargo area.... wow it really lacks space.

So I am planning on building a cargo box that sits on the floor of the cargo area, to hold a lot of the stuff we would want in out BOV (chains, parts, etc) and it will also keep everything from flying around over rough country. It will also have to be padded on the top, to protect the dogs from injury (as much as possible.) I am going to get or build a solid rooftop style cargo rack, and lights. I am not planning on lifting it, even thou the Durango's arent that high off the ground. I will put BF Goodrich all terrain all the way around. And adding lockers front and rear. The Dodge is all stock at the moment, but I can "see" it with the improvements in my head. Then when that is complete, I am going to build a custom trailer.

The other idea my wife and I have been tossing around is replacing the Bronco II with a Land Rover Discovery. Or one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-Range-Rover-Trek-Edition-Rare-Trek-Edition-California-car-w-4-yr-warranty_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6295QQihZ012QQitemZ220032844400QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

EDIT:[i[/i] I found the PREFECT BOV for you Lead Dog...  :hugegrin: :hugegrin: :hugegrin:

http://www.stiriauto.ro/files/fun/2_45_land%20rover-huskies.jpg