WildSurvive Forum

Another tip.  If you are beside a muddy stream, dig a hole or using a depression, line it with a piece of plastic, and carry some of the water to it, then let it settle, then filter off the top.  Your filter will last a lot longer between cleanings, and in the case of a non cleanable filter, last longer period.

OOps, sorry dan, I didn't read the first entry in the thread.  Here's a natural filter idea though.  Fixed film wastewater treatment works by running water over a fixed structure that has a slime on it that has bacteria, and other microorganisms that will eat the waste products that come to it.  I'm suggesting that in the absence of any better way to treat water, you might want to try running water below this type of bottom in a creek or river.

The type of creek bottom I'm talking about will have like rocks that have a mossy, brownish, sometimes green look to them.  It is the brownish ones that are really doing the heavy lifting of cleaning the water.  The greenish mossy ones are adding back oxygen, in the presence of sunlight.  It can also be a solid rock bottom, and will do an exceptional job if the creek has widened out and the water isn't very deep and slower moving.

I don't know if this quallifys here but here is one for deer hunting.  If you see a deer wait for it to put its head down.  As soon as its head down eating walk forward slowly while counting to ten.  When you get to ten stop and dont move.  The deer will soon put its head up and look around.  Wait for it to put its head down and then repeat until a good shot is available.

Natural Whistle: Make a fun whistle out of blades of grass by holding them taut between your thumbs and blowing into them.

Acorn tops and bottle caps work well to....put your thumbs together to form a v in the center of the shell.....then blow into the opening......might have to get a pick of that

Cactus juice is very thick at least.  People think when you open one that water will just pour out.  That's not true. The inside are thick and fibrous like a orange but denser.  This is a quote from wikipedia on the barrel cactus....

"A common myth is that the barrel cactus is full of water. In truth, it is filled with a slimy alkaline juice that would cause a net loss of water if drunk, diarrhea, as well as potential hypothermia due to a drop in bodily core temperature." :arigato:

Just use a solar still with it......if possible.

Heres one from Me,

If you draw a line between the two 'points' of the crescent moon, and draw that line down to the horizon, that is South. (In the Nrthrn. Hemisphere)

I don't know if this quallifys here but here is one for deer hunting.  If you see a deer wait for it to put its head down.  As soon as its head down eating walk forward slowly while counting to ten.  When you get to ten stop and dont move.  The deer will soon put its head up and look around.  Wait for it to put its head down and then repeat until a good shot is available.

Just watch the deer's tail as you approach.  If it begins to "wiggle" its tail, it will probably lift its head for a look around.  This may not always work, but if the deer are calm and feeding it should give you a hint of what they're up to.

Here is a quick tip for you firebow guys...

You don't always need to carve a fireboard for your kit.... find natural splits, cracks and knotholes in some of the deadfall around you... mother nature often does alot of the work for you!

Dont walk five hours away from your camp on an eight hour day. It will be dam dark before you get back.( Dont learn this the hard way like I did)  :blush:

To boil water without a container:

Dig a shallow pole in the ground, about the size of a tin can or a little larger. Line with green leaves, clothing, or mud. Anything to hold water. Build a small fire. Heat 6-10 golfball sized stones to red hot temperatures. Drop these in one at a time. Soon, the water will begin to boil.

To boil water without a container:

Dig a shallow pole in the ground, about the size of a tin can or a little larger. Line with green leaves, clothing, or mud. Anything to hold water. Build a small fire. Heat 6-10 golfball sized stones to red hot temperatures. Drop these in one at a time. Soon, the water will begin to boil.

How do you get the water into the hole without a container?

Uuuuummmmm. Well. I'm sure your farmilliar with the technique where you dig a small hole a few paces away from a shore line (Lake, River, Ocean) and let it fill with water repeatedly. You could use it that way. The main point is boiling water with hot stones, or 'Hot Stone Boiling'.

Yah Rick how come your so obsessed with how the water got in the hole? Jeese.  :nono:

what about making a sand filter i don't have the specs on it but i would gather that it would remove quit a bit of stuff small or big

Yup.

The Indian Well (I'll try it soon)

Dig a hole a few feet back from shore, about two feet down, and 8 inches wide. Water will soon fill it. Bail it out as quickly as possible. After the third bailing, the water should be filtered well enough.

Attack attack attack and when they start to run poor it on.  General George Jackson.    :thumbup:    :hugegrin: