WildSurvive Forum

Troop 85, Cedar Rapids, IA Hawkeye area council, Earned rank of Eagle in 1998. our six year old is stoked to be able to start next year.

Son Bobby is a Boy Scout started in Cub Scouts as a Tiger.I have been a leader since the year he was a Wolf.He is now a second class on his way to Eagle.

I was a brownie but I quite I got bored

Kids quitting cuz they are bored is lack of leadership.How can a kid be bored in the outdoors?That's the best biggest playground ever!JMO  of course but with so much to do outdoors no kid should ever be bored.

I quit boy scouts because I knew more than the scout master and I was just a kid. I know he was trying to do his best but he was the wrong guy to lead a scout troupe. My last day was in the gym at school that we got to use at night. The scout master organized a tug of war with a rope that was way too small. I tried to tell him and was quickly told he knew what he was doing. Consequently the rope broke and several kids got hurt with one nearly choked to death when the rope got tangled around his neck and the kids kept pulling. Organized confusion.  :nono:

I got bored because we weren't outdoors and it was the 70's and mostly at least were I lived they were teaching us how to be wives and mothers cooking sewing. I never got to go outside :cry:

I was never in the Boy Scouts.  The troop in our area was kids from in town that would go down to the pond and catch frogs.  I grew up on a farm and was outside constantly, learning how to use tools, do stuff around the farm, start a fire, use a knife, etc.

I always wanted to be in the boy scouts but my parents wouldn't let me . Matthew is in the cub scouts and we go on our first camping trip i about 2 weeks  ! He's really getting into it ! I'll have pics after the campout !

tsegura, you are such a good dad to do that with your son.  :yes:  Isn't it a great feeling to be able to do for our kids what our own parents weren't able to do for us?  What a great bonding experience the two of you will have together!  I can't wait to see the pics!

cool14.gif

Tsegura.... it is your time to prove yourself and be the leader of these kids... time to become a Scout !! whip.gif

If you  are following up on your son in such a way that you are proud of him....become also proud of yourself for the hundreds of things you can teach him and others just like him in the scout troupe...  :idea:

....and enjoy the many  happy070.gif  with him...

I have now over 20 years as a scout leader (1984) and now as commissioner... with no regrets  :thumbup:

I was a scout. Almost made it to eagle. We had an awesome leader for many years but after he left the moms couldn't come up with what to do next. I don't remember exactly what happened but we got down to three guys and we just quit going.

Welcome aboard Simpleman. Stop by the introductions section and introduce your self if you wish.

I was a Scout in the 70's and 80's in Northern Maine Troop 178. I'm currently a Unit Commissioner and a Venture Crew Adviser for Crew 1833 we specialize in High Adventure. Backpacking Rock Climbing Scuba Wilderness Survival and Bicycle Touring. Great bunch of kids.

Well lets see that would be the UCVCA crew 1833.  :P

Good for you Wingman and welcome to wildsurvive in case I missed it.  :)

I've been a scout leader for 7 or 8 years now (Cubs and Boy Scouts).  I love the program, It's not the end all be all of preparedness, but it does include a fairly good foundation.  I see scouting as a stepping stone on the path to life.  Every little thing that helps someone on their path is good, and scouting is just that.  Another tool.  It has implications in community and helping young men work at the skills that are not familiar with.  Great program when used well.  I'll be a scouter for life after my experiences.

Well it's been a while since I've been on here and I've been looking through some post and found this one . Well this makes Matthews third year in as a cub scout and he absolutely loves it ! Also part of the reason i haven't had much time to get on-line is that this year i am a den leader for the cub scouts . It's been pretty challenging but fun at the same time . But its well worth it cause some of these boys don't have a good roll model or father figure and some have never been camping or fishing etc. and to be a part of them learning some fun things in the outdoors is great !

tsegura, it is awesome that you are giving so much of your time to these youngsters.  They are lucky to have you as their guide and as a friend.  :yes:

I'm a boyscout leader tsegura, wait till you get him that far. that's when the real fun begins! thanks for volunteering, it can be hard to get :arigato: positive roll models these days.

I swear it has been YEARS since I've been on these forums! It has to have been three years at least! It feels so good to be back here - I'm amazed that this thread was one of the first four or five on the forum. I'd like to say hello again to two of my old friends, Holly and Swede. I also remember Taken (not sure if she's still here?) and a couple other names look familiar.