WildSurvive Forum
antagonizer

Making a fishing Spear

I finally finished episode 4 of my how to series on survival gear. This episode deals with an old favorite, the fishing spear.  The fishing spear is a fantastic tool since it's not just relegated to being used on fish. It's great for catching birds, snakes, rodents, whatever you need a long reach to capture. This design modifies the old, fire hardened point and adds grappling 'hooks' to hold your prey. You'll probably recognize the design from old movies where pacific islanders would use them to fish coral reefs.

Anyway, here's the vid. I hope you like it.  If you do, feel free to leave me feedback and comments on youtube.

You are the man Ant. I liked the way you made a long rope out of a small peice of deer hide. Whoda thought.  :thumbsup:

This is a great video and another great addition.

Ill have to give this one (because I learned how to make a long rope) ten mooses>

moose0024.gif moose0024.gif moose0024.gif moose0024.gif moose0024.gif moose0024.gif moose0024.gif moose0024.gif moose0024.gif moose0024.gif

Absolutely fantastic stuff Anty.   What I love the most is a that making your spear and the bow was all stuff I learned to do as a kid and thought it was just fun and did not associate it with survival.  Your bringing back a lot of memeories.   

:squirrel: :squirrel: :squirrel: :squirrel: :squirrel: :squirrel: :squirrel: :squirrel: :squirrel: :squirrel:

Hi. I'm new here. Great Video -! Loved it. You've got a lot of personality on camera.  Thanks, antagonizer! Did you ever really catch anything with it? I caught a fat catfish in a slough with a frog spear once.  The spines on the catfish gave me a nasty cut when I tried to grab it though.

Welcome to our forum Sebastian. Catfish got some nasty horns on them that are tipped with a stinging poision that can hurt for quite a while. It seems the smaller the catfish is the worse it can hurt.

Thanks guys. The idea is to bring back some of these concepts and simplify them so that they can be done in the field.  I've got plans for episode 5 and 6 which include an atlatl and, when winter comes, some snow shoes, but if there's anything you'd like to see let me know.

Sebastian, I try not to take anything from nature unless I have to.  I suppose I could try catching a hotdog. LOL!  Even the tomatoes were groundlings.

I've got a technique for catfist that I use to use when I was young. It involves laying a minnow net next to their mudhole and tossing bread on it untill they come out. Then I'd reel them in, trapping them in the net.  I suppose a video on that wouldn't hurt.

Why go to all that trouble Ant just get in the water and reach in there and drag him out. Of course he will bite the hell out of you but it only hurts for a few days.  :woot:

Great video,antagonizer,i love it and it only took 45 minuites to see it ( i have dial up ) have you used this set up to catch fish before ?

Great video,antagonizer,i love it and it only took 45 minuites to see it ( i have dial up ) have you used this set up to catch fish before ?

I spent most of my childhood at a little place called Hurd's Lake near Renfrew Ontario. It was a really diverse place surrounded by forests, flatlands, even rock bluffs as high as 300 ft. At 12 I got my first boat and motor. By the time I was 15, my best friend and I would dissappear for days down the other end of the lake.  No tents, no equipment, no food, just a boat, and a knife. We would make all of these 'tool' and weapons for fun almost playing at being big game hunters.  It's where alot of the ideas came from. I've personally used this spear setup hundreds of times, along with half a dozen other tricks to catch fish and game including water snakes, and turtles.

I guess in making these vids, I'm recreating most of those experiences in my mind. Kind of reliving my childhood. Funny thing is that I never had a mentor. Nobody taught me how to make these things.  For the most part, it was the movies that acted as teacher.  This particular spear was inspired by the movie 'the blue lagoon'. I remember seeing it as a kid.  The bow came from startrek, and the fire tote came from quest for fire.  All childhood movies.  All teachers when I was growing up in the woods.

Guest smallgamehunter

awesome vid ant and i owe you a thank you it was your videos on youtube that brought me here