WildSurvive Forum

I hope I am posting this in the right place and I hope it has not been posted before, but here goes. One item that I have found to be very handy in the outdoors is parachute cord. I am just wandering if anyone feels the same and maybe has some really good ideas on it use/storage . I generaly keep some wrapped around my hiking staff and around a knife handle. 

I have had a limited experience with paracord, but the good part is this:

Inside, there are SEVEN strands of cord!!

So, if you have with you, say, five feet of paracord, you have 35 FEET!! or emergency shelter material.

Paracord is awesome stuff.  You can use the little strings inside to do everything from sutures to fishing.  You can even use the cord to tie stuff up with.

I've always liked it for lashings on tripods and bipods.  Flexible and strong enough to support a tripod with lots o' weight!  And let me tell you right now:  That stuff at Wal Mart is no where near as good as the real thing!  :thumbdown:

An army surplus is a good place to get some.  I got to pick myself up a couple of 50ft bundles.  Bob is right too.  The stuff they sell in Walmart, Dick's, and Gander Mountain is mostly crap compared to the genuine article.

ebay

Be careful on Ebay.  I bought a spool of "550 paracord".  When I got it, it was the 300 paracord, not the 550.  (4 strand not 7 strand)  Still good, still strong, but not nearly the same thing.  A local outdoors store is where I get mine. 

I got mine from Cheaper Than Dirt or Sportsmans Guide a looong time ago.  The stuff at Wal Mart has totally different characteristics than the genuine article.  The outer shroud is looser, doesn't hold as tightly to the inner core (it's hard to describe, but maybe you can get the idea).

That is how the 300 (4 strand) is.  The covering is loose. Army Surplus stores usually have the real good stuff.