WildSurvive Forum
Swede

A question of survival

I saw a show on TV called "how to survive"  Well I thought this might be worth watching.

The first information was "How to survive an avalanche."

Hummm lets see. How many places on the face of the earth where people go that is in avalanche territory? Not very many.

Than how many people go there? Well I guess skiers and snowboarders and mountain climbers. Well im none of those. In fact what percentage of the population does go there?

Than that got me thinking.  gen165.gif  I really dont need any of that information because Im not ever going to those places.

Than its on to people who have gotten themselves lost hiking or driving into remote areas unprepared.

OK now were getting down to the problem. In our survival community we spend a lot of time and effort to be prepared. We gain knowledge of techniques and practice preparedness in our daily lives.

Surviving has a lot to do with putting yourself in places where you should have been prepared to go in the first place.

Recognising the dangers BEFORE we go there or dont go there at all.

You wouldnt take a vacation in Bagdad. You know better than drive into flodded water. You dont tug on Supermans cape.

My point is SURVIVAL IS TO TRY TO AVOID THE NEED TO HAVE TO PRACTICE SURVIVAL.

I just watched this show i had it taped,it had some good info on avoiding lighting strikes and bear attacks also.

hey... if you have the truck to handle flooded water go right ahead and drive into flooded water. LOL

another point is no one takes risk's anymore. but i don't blame them the laws are alot more strict then they use to be.

Well said, Swede.  It can take alot of work to put oneself into harm's way.  Most of us going about our daily routines will probably never be faced with such a situation, but it sure is nice to know what to do if worst comes to worst. 

You have to draw the line between enjoying the outdoors, and the fact that just being in the bush can become a survival situation. Or, even, say on a cruise, the boat begins to sink (or other disaster), your sea survival teqniques would help. Justm y 2cents

We are in the areas when an accident does happen.  Because we enjoy the backcountry, that's where we are going to break our legs or arms or impale ourselves.  And that is where these shows should be showing us how to survive.  You could spend a season each on upper Michigan, Louisiana swamps, Nevada desert, Washington rain forest, or even a Midwest forest plot, how long is it going to take you to drag yourself to the road?  I agree, swede, that the exotic locations do a lot for the average person's interest and make for excitement, but it isn't very useful.