WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Elizabeth

Women hiking alone - advice

Sometimes I go out for a few nights alone in the mountains where I live.  Maybe not always a good idea but often there is nobody else who likes to hike like I do.  Do you think this is safe for a woman to do or should I always have some friends with me?

Well it's a judgement call on your part as to just how safe you feel.  You know that you shouldn't be out alone in case you get injured or lost.  You are also aware of the danger of meeting up with weirdos who might wish to do you bodily harm.  So long as someone knows where you are headed and you leave a itinerary in your vehicle you shoud be ok.  It's not a good practice for anyone, woman or man, to be in the woods alone but if you feel secure then by all means have fun.  The woods are no more dangerous than most neighborhoods.

In my lone camping days...it was the same reason, nobody would go camping in the winter.  One thing that you can do is to be unseen.  Practice your trailcraft whenever someone approaches.  Sitting still will often let another hiker walk by without even seeing you.  I never will forget the time I was sitting squirrel hunting in camos...guy sat right down beside me and I almost gave him a heart attack.  I always felt better with a machete as well.  Unless the bad guy has a firearm, nobody wants to tangle with a machete.

Good advice.  I prefer to sleep away from the lean-to's and official shelters - far safer to go off into the bush a hundred yards or more where nobody else is going to be at night.

You know, pepper spray's probably not a bad idea either.  It'd give a feral dog or coyote a new lease on life. Should the worst happen and you get hassled, with pepper, you can spray and get away without having to explain that huge cut on your assailant.  Always remember though, rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

You know, pepper spray's probably not a bad idea either.  It'd give a feral dog or coyote a new lease on life. Should the worst happen and you get hassled, with pepper, you can spray and get away without having to explain that huge cut on your assailant.  Always remember though, rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

That is my favorite quote! Or one anyway! And It depends on where you live, you may want to consider a CCW and carrying.  Always have a cell phone, and let people know where you are going.

Guest adrenjunky

First response would be don't. That not only goes for women but for men as well. Chance of an attack are low, chance of injury are much higher. However sometimes you don't have a choice, or don't want to take someone else.

Be very careful with pepper spray. TAKE classes on how to use it. For the life of me I can not find one instance that it has been used and worked as intended (non-LEO, or CO). However I have found a lot where it didn't work or it was taken and used on the victim. Plus you need to know where the wind is coming from and you have to let them get too close. If you want I can lead you to a cop that has a crusade against it.

Self defense classes, does a world of good in more ways than one.

CCW work well but if you go that route get yourself to somewhere like thunder ranch to teach you how to use them in real life.

I really like the idea of avoidance. Get off the trail and stay still if something doesn't feel right. Trust yourself. Never wear bright colors. Neutral colors; like browns, tans, and greens work well. Also avoid dead space colors white and black.

If your going alone and wear camo clothing ( that I always ware) take a patch of blaze orange in your pack for signalling rescue people.

AJ is spot on with pepper sprays. It will only enrage psychopaths to violance.I would not depend on it totally. However I would not rule it out entirely.When approached by a suspicious character a positive and athoritive attitude showing confidence and determined deminior will put off most attackers. "Go ahead make my day" look on your face works wonders.

AJ, isn't there a military level pepper spray?  Shoot, I'd be tempted to find a supplier for the pure capsicum and make up your own.  I still like it for chasing dogs off.

Ok i dont care what people say if theres a bear running toward me i want a shot gun not no spray...take the same response for humans there the same as bears but with a brain

Guest adrenjunky

AJ, isn't there a military level pepper spray?  Shoot, I'd be tempted to find a supplier for the pure capsicum and make up your own.  I still like it for chasing dogs off.

LEO and Mil. yes. Not much different than bear spray, I haven't seen any pure around though. The real reason I personally don't like it is I have seen two situations where it was deployed and it came back in the deployers face.

Guest Lead Dog

A dog or two on the trail will also help when alone.  Not only do you get the companionship, but you have an alarm.  Plus a decent-sized dog or two will deter most folks from bothering with you.  They also throw off quite a bit of heat when the temps drop at night.  :)

AJ when I did my short stint as a police officer (big mistake) we had to wrastle an out of control drunk down and while I was attempting to hold him face down my partner grabs his head and turns it around and puts the mace can right in his face and pushes the button.

The only problem with that was in the heat of the moment he had the spray pointed backwards totally missing the guys face and sprayed us.  It got pretty crazy after that.  :dead:  scared011.gif    :dribble:

Guest adrenjunky

AJ when I did my short stint as a police officer (big mistake) we had to wrastle an out of control drunk down and while I was attempting to hold him face down my partner grabs his head and turns it around and puts the mace can right in his face and pushes the button.

The only problem with that was in the heat of the moment he had the spray pointed backwards totally missing the guys face and sprayed us.  It got pretty crazy after that.  :dead:   scared011.gif    :dribble:

happy097.gif Although I can't say I haven't heard of that though. It is amazing how many trained people have sprayed themselves. The cop that I know that is against it is even against it being carried by cops, and no longer carries it himself. Tasers are so much better.

Guest adrenjunky

The first time I got sprayed was in a bar. Some  censored.gif decided it would be funny to spray a group of people.

Elizabeth, have you tried to find a camping or hiking club in your area?  You might check with the local YMCA/YWCA and even local gyms.  Otherwise, if you have to go it alone, I like the idea of avoidance if in an uncomfortable situation.  If you are able to remain undetected, so much the better--I especially think you're wise to avoid the shelters and designated camping areas.

On the well-traveled trails it may not always possible to hear another person in time to avoid them.  (As for self-defense on the trail, no matter what route you decide to take get some training.)

LEO and Mil. yes. Not much different than bear spray, I haven't seen any pure around though. The real reason I personally don't like it is I have seen two situations where it was deployed and it came back in the deployers face.

I know they have developed the pure capsicuum sp?.  I have a bottle that is reputed to use a drop for a whole big pot of chili.  I touched the outside box of this thing while I was putting it in a glass jar, box and all, and it still teared me up when I rubbed the corner of my eye.

I'm curious if it is effective if you can get the delivery system to work?  I agree that Elizabeth should undergo some type of training.  While lone hiking/camping is dangerous...there are times when it is the best thing you've ever done.

Capsicum frutescens is a plant of the nightshade family, and is the pepper (Capsicum) assign. r C. It is suspected that the wild form of C.  Chinense.

Typical of Capsicum frutescens are always upright standing on the plant flowers and fruits. . The flowers sit separately, often in pairs in the engine. .

Capsicuum frutescens is primarily used as a spice. . The fruits contain almost twice as much of the sharpness responsible alkaloid capsaicin as Capsicum annuum. .

300pxbirdchilixj9.jpg

Guest adrenjunky

I know they have developed the pure capsicuum sp?.  I have a bottle that is reputed to use a drop for a whole big pot of chili.  I touched the outside box of this thing while I was putting it in a glass jar, box and all, and it still teared me up when I rubbed the corner of my eye.

I'm curious if it is effective if you can get the delivery system to work?  I agree that Elizabeth should undergo some type of training.  While lone hiking/camping is dangerous...there are times when it is the best thing you've ever done.

The highest in use I have seen in 15% OC (Oleoresin Capsicum), 3% capsaicinoid. That was in a "flash-bang" type device. Police in the US the highest is 10% I believe.

The pure chemical capsaicin supposedly rated at 16,000,000 scoville units is available at $151 per GRAM.  That'd make a pound of it worth $68,000 approximately.  That's probably enough to make every bit of chili in the world too hot to eat.

My bottle of "The hottest spice in the World" is rated at 750,000 scoville units.