WildSurvive Forum

Actually, washing removes the dirt from your pores that keeps you from sweating somewhat too much, and if its cold at night, we all know, your sweat freezes and you could go hypothermic.

The important thing about soap is to make sure that you do your washing well away from ponds or streams.  Most modern soaps do biodegrade well, but you don't want that stuff in your open waters.  A hedonistic rite that I've heard of but have never tried is a warm summer downpour that lasts long enough for a total stripdown and wash out in the open.  I think having swim trunks on would be almost as good and keep you out of jail should it not be a totally remote area.  Almost every other cleaning ritual is akin to a sponge bath.

P.S. 

and also to cover a pan so it doesnt get burn marks.

What I do with my pans is cover them with clean aluminum foil for the initial pack, then at end of camp, or when going into pack, remove it all, so you don't get that creosote-y stuff in your pack.  If you are doing the hike, camp, hike, type of camping, bring enough foil to redo them and you have a whole lot less scrubbing.  Just make sure that if you pack it in, you pack it out.

I put dishwashing soap on the bottom of my pans to kepp them from charring when boiling water.

That's a trick we learned in the Scouts, too, SDan!  Makes cleanup a lot quicker!

You can also carve a bar of soap into a gun and cover it wil black shoe polish (brown doesn't work) and use it to make the screws let you out of lock up.

Or you can us it for a base for a really teeny tiny Christmas tree.

Trust me guys....do a comparison between the soap on the pot and the foil method, head to head, and see which you like better.

I'm sorry, Nurk, but I dont get your method. Could you please explain it to a 12 yr. old?

OK, what you do is take tin foil then just wrap it on the outside of the pan.  When you cook it then wont char the pan.  I need to start doing that again, I had almsot forgot about it!

The foil method does work a lot better than using soap.  Plus with foil you can use it for a windbreak around your stove or as a signal mirror.  Try that wih soap.

OK, what you do is take tin foil then just wrap it on the outside of the pan.  When you cook it then wont char the pan.  I need to start doing that again, I had almsot forgot about it!

It does work quite well, but you use up a bit more fuel with this method though.