WildSurvive Forum

Or as Datta says "Booty Traps".  OK OK, on topic now. Has anyone found any booby traps while they are outdoors? Does anyone know about finding them.  I know Tfisher knows a think or two, I would love for him to chime in on this!

YeeeeOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!  My boobie!  MY BOOOOOBIE!!!!!!    scared011.gif

Seriously, though:  I haven't personally come across this, but I know others who have.  When I was in Fish & Wildlife, the Conservation Officers (game wardens) described different things they had come across.  One is the old shotshell in a pipe:  Someone would rig a shotshell to fire off if someone hit a trip wire.  Another was the copper head anchored in place with a fish hook in its tail.

The only boobie trap Ive seen was at the stripper bar. Cost me a bunch of money.  :'(      :P

I've never come across a booby trap in the woods.  I've often thought about how you could take say a piece of plywood and a nail gun and 16 penny nails, then smear the nails with human feces.  Then bury the whole thing down about 2 feet under a breakable surface trap.

A contaminated puncture wound sucks big time.

I've never found booby traps in the woods.  I have found old traps that some trapper had either lost or forgotten about.  I assumed that because there were large sticks laying in the trap that would have kept it from functioning properly. 

Nowadays though booby traps are not meant to catch animals but are put there to deter people from becoming to nosey and running into someone's illegal marijuana field or meth lab.  If you spot a trap BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL.  People who set traps for this purpose will put up several traps in a area as a redundant system.  Do not attempt to disarm the trap(s).  Mark the area so it can be found again easily.  Notify the Fish & Game or local law enforcement so they can safely dispose of it.

YeeeeOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!  My boobie!  MY BOOOOOBIE!!!!!!    scared011.gif

Seriously, though:  I haven't personally come across this, but I know others who have.  When I was in Fish & Wildlife, the Conservation Officers (game wardens) described different things they had come across.  One is the old shotshell in a pipe:  Someone would rig a shotshell to fire off if someone hit a trip wire.  Another was the copper head anchored in place with a fish hook in its tail.

I neglected to say that these were traps around a marijuana plot...

Nurker's post reiminded me of something else:  Private property owners get desperate to keep trespassers with atv's off their property sometimes, and will bury a board with nails across a pathway or trail. 

Shame the word doesn't get out to the druggies.  The average guy if he stumbles on a lab or a field would be inclined to forget about it and stay away.  If you hurt him with some kind of a stupid trap or kill him, you've just escalated the whole thing beyond where you would want to go.  What do you think your average hunter's going to do when a booby trap just killed his hunting buddy.  None of it is good for the druggie.

The setting of traps for reasons other than for the legitimate taking of animals by liscenced persons using approved mechanical systems is highly discouraged by Wildsurvive.com, it's staff, and forum members. :mad: :nop:

Shame the word doesn't get out to the druggies.  The average guy if he stumbles on a lab or a field would be inclined to forget about it and stay away.  If you hurt him with some kind of a stupid trap or kill him, you've just escalated the whole thing beyond where you would want to go.  What do you think your average hunter's going to do when a booby trap just killed his hunting buddy.  None of it is good for the druggie.

Probably a fellow who had a friend hurt or killed in such a way would be inclined to use some camo and lie in wait for the druggies to return....

I neglected to say that these were traps around a marijuana plot...

Nurker's post reiminded me of something else:  Private property owners get desperate to keep trespassers with atv's off their property sometimes, and will bury a board with nails across a pathway or trail. 

They will also place Spiderwire fishline across trails at about neck height.  Spiderwire is extremely thin and hard to see, and being super strong will slice you deep before you even realize what's happened.

Another booby trap I did hear about was in an urban setting.  Guy would race his car down an alley, not caring that there were many small children who played in those back yards.  One of the fathers snuck out in the middle of the night and buried some kind of a pipe or bar down 4 feet and sticking up just far enough in the middle of the alley to get the differential on this guy's car.  Guy quit racing his car down the alley.

Spiderwire is extremely thin and hard to see,

The wife had an uncle who ran a motorcycle under a fence and the barbed wire caught him in the neck.  Didn't kill him but came  censored.gif close.  I think camo painted barb wire at neck height would be nasty on an atv.  Specially if it's one of those guys that goes too fast.  The slow, cautious atv guy should be ok.  Till he runs over the nails...that is.

Another booby trap I did hear about was in an urban setting.  Guy would race his car down an alley, not caring that there were many small children who played in those back yards.  One of the fathers snuck out in the middle of the night and buried some kind of a pipe or bar down 4 feet and sticking up just far enough in the middle of the alley to get the differential on this guy's car.  Guy quit racing his car down the alley.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!    :devil:

I had a similar situation with a speeder that went by my home reguarly.  Someone  :whistle: put a cinder block in a brown paper bag and set it in the middle of the road right before he was due to go by. It made a helluva lot of noise smashed his front spoiler, crushed his oil pan in and messed up his driveshaft as he drove over it and it bounced around under his car. happy097.gif

There was an old abandoned rail road near here and the farmer got tired of motocycles running up and down so he stretched a cable over it. It took the head nearly off a kid and killed him. I didnt hear how much the lawsuit came to but it was six figures Im told.

the only booby trap i saw was when i were 8-9 years old ...it was the booby trap that if you push in the middle of it ...two big blades come from the side into the thing you pushed the middle with...the only  wierd thing is that i live in the capital of romania ...and there are no bears or other dangerous animals here...except in the zoo...oh...and the gipsies.

Well, I read about one guy who ran into some wire or somthing while riding an ATV and it decapitated him.  I have heard about people using cheese wire over trails to cut people too! Also razor blades on trees.

Aw, now Swede!  You could have AT LEAST used a picture of a lady WHO SHAVES HER ARMPITS!!!!!!!   :scared:

Or.....is THAT the trap???  :blink:

Yes I have seen booby traps that were intended to keep people and law enforcement away from drug patches and labs.

I have actually stepped on one of those nail boards. A 16 common nail does penetrate quite well and you bleed pretty good by the time you get your boot off also. I nicked an artery so the old direct pressure was the only way to stop the bleeding. Yes I did have my survival first aid kit with me.