WildSurvive Forum

I had a splinter in my eye once when helping my brother-in-law put cedar siding on his house.  At the eye doctor they asked if I'd been using a weedeater.  Evidently that's the most common cause of eye injury they see.

I wear safety glasses for everything at home, (ask watcher, lol) I was tired of getting hit in the eye weedwacking or mowing.  now if im running anything but maybe a hand drill I wear safety glasses. I had a mower once with a tiny hole in the body. it was strategically placed so when the blade spun it would throw stuff out exactly at your right eye.

Near miss for me on this one. I was using a small camp axe but the log I was trying to split was a little big, so I decided to try batoning it in half. A piece of the log I was hitting the back of the axe with splinter off and hit me in the eye. For the squeamish, I will go ahead and let you know I was LUCKY. Nothing sticking out of any place it didn't belong. I stumbled away from where I was working and went to all fours. I waited for the shooting stars to fade and told myself multiple times, that didn't just happen. Vision was a little blurry for the next few hours and when I woke up the next day I felt like I had a black eye. To my suprise there was no swelling and no shiner. I did notice an incredible sensitivity to bright light. I later learned that I had a scratched cornea and the pain started fading away after about four days. Lucky, lucky man that day.

BOB is now complete with safety glasses!

Good Call gooBer66, I get safety glass free through work, I have about 6 pair of them at any given time, 2 in each vehicle and 2 at home I grab when I walk out.  They are the type that look like sunglasses and double as tinted safety glasses.  About 10 years ago, I was weedeating and my goggle style safety glasses got fogged up. I only has a few feet left to do and was tired the goggles fogging up so figured I'd be fine without them for the next 4 feet.  Of course, I hit a stick and it flew up and nailed me on the corner of the eyebrow.  Split me open and there was a little blood but I was lucky it missed the soft tissue.  It actually bruised the bone.  Enough force to do lots of damage.  I was lucky it caught the ridge and not down/left another 1/2 inch.