WildSurvive Forum

A good thread, i have always been taught to put the foot down using the outside edge of the ball first then roll the ball flat onto the ground then role the whole foot back onto the heal and then slowly transfer you weigh to that foot.

It works even on gravel and leaves

A good thread, i have always been taught to put the foot down using the outside edge of the ball first then roll the ball flat onto the ground then role the whole foot back onto the heal and then slowly transfer you weigh to that foot.

It works even on gravel and leaves

That's the "Fox Walk" in a nutshell, Adi.

You lift your feet straight up and use your quadriceps(upper leg) to propel yourself instead of your calves. It almost looks a bit like prancing at the faster paces. It helps to prevent foot drag because the foot is lifted in the same line that it is put down.... not recommended for walking in the mall.

Rick

In observing the animal world up close, you can only move when they are moving, and when they are looking away from your direction.  Clothing as mentioned, that is quiet is best; as is material that will not hang too loose for the wind to move around.  I also found that solid clothing, especially black or dark colors will give you away more quickly as you attempt to learn your skills if in the daytime.  The opposite would hold true if at night.  Try to blend.  And everyone is right about the walk.  Take small baby steps, lifting your foot only as high as need be, and roll that foot down on placement.  Feel the ground as you put your weight down to ensure nothing is underneath.  Practice freezing in a position of any movement.  Act like the animals.  In time you will enjoy sights like this Whitetail eating Mountain Laurel buds. I was about four feet above her.

trackingel1.jpg

The best trick I learned that works came from my dads eagle scout manual. My dad is now 90 so it was an OLD book.

When looking around trees or boulders or even bushes lay flat on the ground and peek around the bottom as low as you can get. Ill guarantee you they wont see you what ever or who ever your watching. If you are standing you will be seen.

Move slow.  Know where your setting your feet so you don't step on twids and such.  Set your feet down softly to reduce the russle of leaves.  If your trying to stalk something (not someone :nop: ) then take a few steps, stop and listen, then repeat. 

What's a twid?

You can actually adapt the "fox walk" a bit so that you don't look so much like a prancing pony at the mall or office.  A little less bend in the knees a little less lift with the quads and then upping the pace to a "normal" walking speed.  I've found I can move fairly quickly and silently in public without looking too much like a dork.  Well at least I think I don't,...

This is also great for stalking the office co-worker.  There isn't much more fun at the office then sneaking up behind someone that is surfing the net and then imitating your bosses cough.

You can actually adapt the "fox walk" a bit so that you don't look so much like a prancing pony at the mall or office.  A little less bend in the knees a little less lift with the quads and then upping the pace to a "normal" walking speed.  I've found I can move fairly quickly and silently in public without looking too much like a dork.  Well at least I think I don't,...

This is also great for stalking the office co-worker.  There isn't much more fun at the office then sneaking up behind someone that is surfing the net and then imitating your bosses cough.

I think we did a somewhat modified version of the fox walk during MOUT training...., where we walked primarily on the sides of our feet placing them strait down...., never ever scooting them....., well untill the first shots were fired anyway

I think we did a somewhat modified version of the fox walk during MOUT training...., where we walked primarily on the sides of our feet placing them strait down...., never ever scooting them....., well untill the first shots were fired anyway

What is MOUT training, I am assuming some military training?

What is MOUT training, I am assuming some military training?

You know...  MOUT ... as in "Shut yer MOUT and stop asking questions!" :devil:

You tell him Rick...., just kidding it's an acronym for- Military Operations in Urbanized Terrain.

I guess were going to have to appoint Mice the "bad typing interpreter" guy.

He does seem to have a natural knack for it, and lol I sure have a knack for bad typing  :D

We used to put a pair of heavy weight socks over our boots to stalk deer with it muffles and softens the step slow is the key when all else fails we would sometimes use a third leg a branch (walking stick) you don't sound like a human in theory.

SK, when the woods are too noisy to move quietly, use a hiking stick to make youself sound like a 4 legged deer.  Take a few steps and stop.  Take a few steps and stop.  Unless they wind you, they will never know you are there, by hearing you.

Mocs and learn to put toes down first slowly feel as you roll foot slowly down feeling for sticks etc. wear pair old heavy socks over your shoes.Using this method on a windy day I once snuck to within 17 feet of a very nice 9 pointer a quick Zwicky 4 blade kept him bedded launched from my Root longbow. also great windy day tactic to hunt standing corn

Firstly I wear neoprene diving boots when hunting, which are thin flexible and warm, I place the outside part of my heel down first then slowly roll the rest of the foot flat listening for any rustling or branch breaking, if moving up hill I place the ball of my foot down first and try and walk on the ball of my feet constantly.

Also, a cheap option for minimalist/quiet footwear would be Japanese Tabi. I have tabi boots the allow for increased sensitivity and balance, also some vibrams. However, bare feet are the best shoes! ;)

You should get a book, or watch youtube videos on how to start training barefoot, 'cause you have to start off slow.

And.. there's really no reason behind it, but I wanna use this smiley.  moose0024.gif

Don't walk heal toe but stepping with the ball of your foot hitting first that way you can feel your way.. It's hard to do if your using a really hard soled boot or shoe..