WildSurvive Forum
Askdamice

"My Core Gear" by Askdamice

I would like to share with you my "Core Gear". These are the items that I take with me on extended trips, regardless of season. All that I will share with you I have learned from others more experienced than I, from good books and from miserable mistakes that I have made. I am continuously trying to improve my game and just when I think I've got it nailed... I see something new and the endless cycle begins again.

Rick

RicksGearPic.jpg

I have divided the items into four groups marked A, B, C, and D.

If there are any questions I’ll happily explain my choices.

"A" (Clockwise from top left)

- A Swedish/German mess kit containing a pot w/ lid, cooking shield, burner and bottle of fuel

- A "personals" kit containing first aid supplies, small sew kit, beeswax, pitch blend, handywipes, toothbrush/paste, deodorant crystal, zinc oxide, hand sanitizer and homemade pine tar soap.

- Cordage bag containing brass wire, decoy line and various lengths of 550 paracord.

"B" (Clockwise from top left)

- Collapsible water container

- Canteen w/ cup and iodine tablets

- “Safe Water” purification bottle and steel cup

- Bush Belt with carabiner, belt knife, fire kit and Leatherman

- 4 bandannas and a small towel

"C" (Clockwise from top left)

- Large sew kit with “E-Z Stitch”sewing awl, leather thongs, beeswax and spare buttons (made from pennies and nickels)

- Head lamp, LED torch and long burning candle

- Bags of spruce gum and pine pitch, long burning candle with tin caps for heating resin

- Sharpening kit

"D" (Starting on left)

- Brass “Spy Glass”

- Norse Hawk

- Small possible bag containing a compass, whistle, utility knife, lighter, dental floss, firesteel/striker, pad w/ pencil and a small bag with various cordage.

- Under the bag is an emergency firepouch worn around the neck

This is great ask! I want to come up with a kit of things all of which can be carried in Haversack, pouches, ect.  Do you have a modern day pack to carry this stuff in or just your leather packs?

This is great, Rick! :thumbsup:  I do have a question, though.  Where is all your emergency candy? :unsure:

Excellent.  I've been meaning to make a list of the items in my survival kit, but I really like the format you have here.  So when I remember to get the darn thing out of the wife's car...I'll have to get it online.  Again, great job!!!

holly, he asked me to keep all his candy for him....grin.

I like the possibles bag!! COvers all aspects of survival. I would personally include a tarp or garbage bag for shelter, in mine, though.

Very good!!

Love that hatchet. It looks like a french trade hatchet they traded with the Native Americans. If you break the handle you can carve a new one.  :thumbsup:

Here is my Winter set up...

All of my core gear, extra clothes, 3-4 days food, sleeping bag, two tarps and 50ft of rope.(That will last me well over a week with a little foraging, I hope)

All together with water bottles full... 43lbs... not bad for the gear choices I have made.

I used to try to be an ultralight backpacker with an 18lb pack, but I find this more enjoyable.

WinterPack.jpg

I like that Swiss/German mess kit.  Do you remember where you might of got it? :huh:  Can I have that  one? :woot: :rofl:

Can you elaborate on that sleeping bag for me.  Brand, rating, where'd ya purchase?

I have this sneaky suspicion that Dave is trying to weasel(or squirrel) me out of my gear.... lol

For Winter I use a 0 degC bag with a 5 degC liner, all inside of a gortex bivy.

I don't have any below zero rated bags and I don't subscribe to having to change out of your clothes at night.(though, many do) If you properly choose your clothing and understand how to use ventilation effectively... you create your own "Micro-Climate"... lol... and maintain a constant temperature. The only difference between night and day is you are more active during the day and generate more heat.... that's what a bag is for... to take the edge off the night cold. people are trying to recreate their bedrooms out in the bush and I think that's a tough thing to do. Have you ever had your damp clothes dry overnight in cold temperatures... I don't think so... you just end up with an icy base layer in the morning. If it gets too damp you can use a fire in the a.m. but unless you are wearing KILLER COTTON DEATH FABRIC or thoroughly soaked, it's better to keep on what you're wearing. I hope I explained that correctly as it is a touchy subject for most.

I've had many sleepless nights and learned the hard way at times, that this is what works for me. You do what works for you, obviously.

Rick

I can't believe how many people I see wearing everything they have and just slide into their sleeping bag expecting to stay warm all night.  I have to strip down to my base layer even to get comfy.  With all those clothes on there is no room for air to warm up inside the bag to keep them toasty during those cold nights.  Then they complain their cold all night and they complain that their clothes are still damp in the morning.  In the winter I wear dark clothing to absorb solar heat.  I can put my stuff out in direct sunlight to dry even in freezing conditions.

Don't worry Rick.  I have 4-5 sleeping bags already.  I was just curious what it was. :thumbup: 

Rick likes the copy paste....

The bag reminds me of my hated military ruck :P but now i think i may looking to getting the military ruck anyways just a different model (para one already have the frame :S) Do you use a sleeping pad?

Plus along with ricks Micro-Climate comes his own little world were he is an eastern european rock star    :P

Edit: I see you have opted out of bringing candles...

I can't believe how many people I see wearing everything they have and just slide into their sleeping bag expecting to stay warm all night.  I have to strip down to my base layer even to get comfy.  With all those clothes on there is no room for air to warm up inside the bag to keep them toasty during those cold nights.  Then they complain their cold all night and they complain that their clothes are still damp in the morning.  In the winter I wear dark clothing to absorb solar heat.  I can put my stuff out in direct sunlight to dry even in freezing conditions.

Don't worry Rick.  I have 4-5 sleeping bags already.  I was just curious what it was. :thumbup: 

Dave, when Taken and I went camping, I followed your advice about sleeping in just a base layer.  You're absolutely right, I stayed a lot warmer than the last time I went camping when I slept in a t-shirt under my flannel pajamas with sweats over that.  I was still cold that night.  But sleeping in my base layer allowed me to warm the air inside my sleeping bag and I slept like a log. :yes:

I was refering more to putting your wet layers out at night (at this time of year) and expecting them to dry. I agree with you, Dave , on the stripping of some layers so your not insulating your bag from your own body heat.... that just makes good sense.... I usually sleep in my baselayer and a fleece top/bottom... but I'm willing to give just the base layer a go for a night to see if it makes a difference. I'm heading out with Spetz and a few other for training on Dec 13... so that should put it to a fair enough test.

Thanks for the tip, bro.

Did you locate the Swedish mess kit, yet?

I just thought it was a pretty interesting piece of equipment and being the gear junkie I am I wanted one.  I really don't need one but if I can find one when I'm out and about hitting the stores I just might pick myself up one.You can't have to much gear.

But sleeping in my base layer allowed me to warm the air inside my sleeping bag and I slept like a log

WOW thanks for the visual.  :naughty:

How the wife and I do it (no, not that)!  Do your cleaning up in the evening whatever washing you are going to do.  Put youir fresh long underwear on and wear that to bed, with the clothing that you are going to wear tomorrow as outers in the bag.  Hang the dirty ones out and let them freeze.  After breakfast, beat the heck out of the frozen stuff to get the ice crystals out and then hang in the sun, if any.  I prefer all black, because they tend to warm much better than light or white clothing.  When they simply aren't going to dry any more, then you can hang them at a safe distance from the fire to finish, if the sun hasn't done the job, or it's been cloudy.  We always use a liner for the sleeping bags, usually a full or queen size flannel flat sheet to keep the bag clean.  That usually only gets removed from the bag and washed after we get back from the trip.  I tend to wear socks to bed to keep my feet warmer, but the wife can't stand to wear socks at night so she usually keeps her feet warm on me....grrr....grin.

I just thought it was a pretty interesting piece of equipment and being the gear junkie I am I wanted one.  I really don't need one but if I can find one when I'm out and about hitting the stores I just might pick myself up one.You can't have to much gear.

For people with our sickness, Dave.... That last sentence follows every discussion about kit.... lol.

Ps.  I'm slimming down my gear for the upcomming training.... I'll list what I'm bringing and give an post-training summary on how well my choices played out.

Rick

nurkerool: I was think the same thing about letting it freeze and then shatter the ice and scrape it off. Should reduce the wet ness allot then dry in the sun. And if anything your carrying less weight if its not as wet.

Askdamice i would be interested to know how your trip goes :P

Askdamice i would be interested to know how your trip goes :P

Ah, Spetz ... the training is something that would go over your head even if I explained it using small words.....lol...

Se ya in a couple weeks, bro.