WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Swede

Im looking for a cook ware set.

I dont have a cook ware set to carry in my truck. What should I buy to carry in my truck?

enamelware.jpg

You can usually find these at higher end kitchen stores.  Sometimes the camping stores will have them.  You kind of have to assess the quality of these.  If the enamel looks good and thick, and the seams and joins seem to be well constructed, that would tend to be a higher quality set.  I'd get these and a good cast iron skillet, but others may have better ideas.  One hint is to wrap all of these in aluminum foil before you put them on the fire, and when finished, remove the blackened aluminum and put them back in your box/bag.  That'll keep that black stuff from getting on everything.

I found this deal at Amazon half price.  :)

Goes camping, and then some. Texsport Family Stainless Cook Set is the meal ticket for house guests, cabin dwellers, college students and more. SAVE BIG BUCKS! Great multi-use cookware, with copper bottoms for quick, even heating! Pieces nest completely for space saving and easy portability... and they'll certainly come in handy when you need more cooks in the kitchen. (Sometimes too many of 'em don't spoil the broth!) You get 3 copper bottom pots (6-qt., 3-qt. and 1-qt.), all with covers and folding carry handles. The 6-qt. pot cover doubles as a copper bottom fry pan with detachable handle! Set also includes nylon carry / storage bag. Weighs 3 lbs., 13 ozs. Get cookin' on this half-off deal today! Order Today! Texsport Family Stainless Cook Set

41jqjv4ymylss500ua9.jpg

This is something I need to invest in too, Swede.  I bought a huge cast iron skillet which I'm very happy with, but I don't have any pots or pans to use while camping, other than the ones I bring from home.  I'd love to have a set that I can just keep with the rest of my gear.

Sir, Did you ever get your cook kit?

By in the truck, do you mean with the rest of your BOB/survival/wilderness gear, or for car camping? Reason I ask is weight and space. I don't know how much that cook kit weighs, but it looks like it would take up a good deal of real estate in your bag, depending on the size of your pack.

How big a group are you planning on feeding? Is this for general camping, or part of your emergency pack? If the latter, a BSA or US Mil. mess kit with a medium sized pot or coffee can might do it.

A guide I know carries a rather large frying pan and milking pails, that nest, when he's cooking for a group.

Like the man said, all depends on when, where, and how long. You might want to look at backpacker magazine or their site or better still, Campmore, REI, MEC or Cabelas for ideas. Regards, Jim

My set stays in my truck. Its an extended cab S 10 and I carry my emergency gear in my truck all the time. I wanted something with me to survive with in an emergency or on a construction site.If I had to carry it in my pack it is way more than I would need. I chose this set before Christmas because it was half price. Its not all that heavy>

cookset003xx3.jpg

Here are some choices at Amazon.com>

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_sg/002-8362870-5632065?url=node%3D3400371&field-keywords=camp+cook+set&x=0&y=0

get a us military ww2 mess kit clean it out its the best

Any idea where to find one, I been looking for months, The old stainless steel ones are just not around anymore as far as I have found. The same goes for the stainless canteens, Even the stainless canteen cups are getting hard to find. At least around here.

Any idea where to find one, I been looking for months, The old stainless steel ones are just not around anymore as far as I have found. The same goes for the stainless canteens, Even the stainless canteen cups are getting hard to find. At least around here.

If you havn't already picked one up, here's one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/US-WWII-Mess-Kit-with-Utensils_W0QQitemZ110264361919QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL0806231842r14666

I have two cooksets myself depending on whether I am going with a friend or going solo.  If I go with a friend, I take the MSR Blacklight Cook Set.  It has two sauce pans and a skillet.  It's all very light, but you have to be careful because of the teflon coating.  I like my solo cookware more.  I can't recall the brand, but I will attach pictures below.  The pot is about a 2 cup capacity.  The kettle is about 2 cups also.  I can get two normal sized cups of coffee made with it.  I found these pictures at REI that are close to what I have, but my stuff is anodized aluminum.

Your buddy Ben has a ton of stuff Ron. I dont know much about the mora knives but their sure cheap enough. I might have to have one of those.  :hugegrin:

Anything from Sweden is good.  :whistle:

Thanks Ron for the link.

Howdy Swede! Yep, those Mora knives are about the best deal going. I prefer the carbon steel blades, but the stainless is very good, too. Swedish steel is mighty fine stuff. Mors Kochanski recommends them in "Bushcraft". All of mine are very well made and have been thru the ringer more than once. They still shine. What do you think of the Zebra stainless camp ware?

Thats a nice set, Swede. I have an old thin walled stainless camp pot that I'm retiring soon as I get the 12CM Zebra pot. My old pot is a little to thin and things tend to get overdone if not down right burned! I also carry my old GI mess kit (it followed me home, honest!) for skillet and dish as well as my old GI canteen cup (it got lonely and followed the mess kit :whistle:). Take care..........Ron