WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bobimbob

Comforts in camp

Other than trainning for a survival situation, do you bring comfort items with you when you camp or do you rough it with the minimum needs? 

for me its pretty much about food and water. Weather is not that rough where I live, so a sleeping bag, and sometimes just leaves suffice my needs.

Water - that is something I do not take lightly. I bring lots of water with me, more than I need, everytime. Because I can live without food, but water...heh

I want to buy one of those little mobile computers, like woodsman has. So I can stay on the net, or listen some music, watch some movie while I'm bored at night. :)

I bring along camp shoes (mocassins in my case) and of lately a pad to sleep on under the sleeping bag/blankets. And my newest tool an MP3 player so I can listen to tribal music at night. Being aboriginal we do travel with more equipment than most as we never know for how long, so we bring chairs (folding) etc.. a folding stove especialy in the fall and early spring. 

My hydration pack with 3 liters of water packed with my widgets and gadgets.

I differentiate between camping, roughing it, and survival.  So, when out family style camping, everything winds up in the truck. 

If roughing it, I take a tent or bug netting (depending on the season), sleeping bag, mess kit, some food and water, one change of clothing, and my fanny pack (my emergency daily carry bag.)  I carry the 1st Aid Bag under the above conditions. If in a survival situation, only my fanny pack, and the clothes on my back, unless there is time to grab my backpack.

Always TP!!!!  :thumbup: :hugegrin:

The biggest comfort thing is my bed roll and my backpacking lantern. 

Always TP!!!!   :thumbup: :hugegrin:

The biggest comfort thing is my bed roll and my backpacking lantern. 

That goes without saying, but I am sure too many forget that one vital comfort.

I LUV TP.    :heart:  :heart:  :heart:  :whistle:

Let's see...gotta have my mascara and my blowdryer.  Those are critical.  If things get rough, I MIGHT be able to do without my eyeliner.  But no matter what, I'm not going anywhere without my best pillow!!!

I have a funny story about pillows and comfort.

My friend got me into backpacking, well the first time we go, I didn't know anything.  We were going on just an overnighter.  Well he was over helping me get gear together and I started to put my pillow in my pack.  He let me have it. "Are you a girl?  Real men don't bring pillows backpacking....blah, blah, blah."  So I left it home.  Well we get out to the woods and are setting up.  We are taking our gear out and he starts laughing......I am like what is so funny......as I look over and watch him pull a pillow outta his pack. 

If I'm gonna be there all week, I might actually bring some soap and a wash cloth... :lol:  Yes TP is a must!  Other wise, I bring a few cigars and my sleeping bag, tent is optional for a short overnighter.

Well... ok then. I must be the wuss of the group.

I take a sleeping pad 99% of the time, a sleepingbag or sleepingbag liner, a shelter. I tend to use the same items I have in my PSK/BOB. I always have lots of water, food, snacks. TP, a towel, and a pair of moccasins, a good book, my journal, a candle lantern.

Even when I am "roughing it" I tend to have a few of these items. I cant even tell you how nice it is after walking all day in hiking boots, to be able to slip on a cheap pair of Mocs for padding around the campsite or to answer a call of nature. Or to have a dry shoes after I have been walking in the rain all day.

I guess because I rarely get out at all anymore, when I do go, I want to enjoy it.

BigBlue's post reminded me that I forgot to mention that I always have coffee (Maxwell House Singles) and a mug with me..... and sometimes some Bailey's to add to it. :)

(Maxwell House Singles)  

The only thing better is the Folger's version.  ;):P These coffee singles are wonderful.

Comforts for me is my mobile device and Internet connection. And of course the videos that I watch at night when I can't sleep. Ohh and a book.

Thats all.

For just plain ole camping for 7 days, I bring these:

2 alcohol stoves

2 quarts methanol

Mess Kit

3 Quart cook pot

12" skillet

5# corn grits

5# beef jerky

10 packs ramen noodles

Can Peanuts

Tony's Creole Seasoning

Utensils

20 gallons water

Becker BK7 combat/utility knife

Leatherman Wave

100 matches

Butane lighter

Game traps

4 person tent

Sleeping bag

Wool blanket

12'x12' heavy-duty tarp

100' 550 paracord

Toothbrush, toothpaste, floss

TP, PT

First Aid Kit

15Watt Solar Panel w/12Volt 20AmpHour AGM Deep-Cycle Rechargeable Battery

CB Radio 12Volt w/antenna (runs off solar)

O2Cool 10" 12Volt Portable Fan (runs off solar)

Flashlights (batteries recharge off solar)

Sudoku handheld game

Deck of cards

I've just bought a couple small decks of cards, I mean MINI. they are like 1 1/2 inches wide and 3 inches tall in this little case.

I have some handheld games I might bring.

Always a book.

A knife to carve.

Also hot chocolate for me, I'm an addict :)

I sewed up a chess board by buying some material that looked like a checkerboard, then sewed a round velcro on each space.  Then I made cloth chess pieces and sewed the corresponding velcro dot on each piece.  That way, the whole thing can be rolled up and stashed anywhere in the pack, and Tess and I like playing chess....before we get around to playing chess.....grin.

Compared to how I used to camp, Having a Sleeping bag, pad, tent and a stuff sack w/extra clothes for my pillow is comfort stuff.  Unfortunately, age and conditioning has forced me to concede that I like more comfort in my life, even in the bush. :hugegrin:

My lap blanket (in case I cant get close enough to the fire) my good camping buddies sitting around the fire with me telling some unbelievable stories, and all the conforts inside my lv/qtrs trailer. happy070.gif