WildSurvive Forum
Bravo

Campfire Talk

Guest given to the sea...

~ Ok, either nobody wants to talk to me, or you guys type so slow that you're just gonna miss out! LOL!  

:harhar:

I gotta get back to work... it's my Off day, I can't sit around or nothing gets done!  scared011.gif

Nurk, do it the way people ahve been doing it for years. The old fashioned way. Then you don't need a laser level.

If I don't use the laser level after Tess bought it for me....it just wouldn't be pretty....grin.  Actually, for this application it will work better than a string and level.

I'd paint my "mauve" laminate countertops to "look" like granite. So far, I've cleaned them, and washed them down with TSP, and now I'm in the process of priming them with an oil based primer designed for slick surfaces... I'm on my second coat.

If your paint doesn't hold up to the wear of a kitchen counter, you can save your work by buying some acrylic sheet (plexiglas) and using that as a top layer over the paint.  Save your extra paint, and then you can touch the job up before you put the plexi on (if you have a problem with the paint chipping)  I've seen it pretty thin, and while it will eventually scratch, it's not hideously expensive either.

Greetings to all who said hi that I missed, I need to head back out.  You all take care and have a good day.

If your paint doesn't hold up to the wear of a kitchen counter, you can save your work by buying some acrylic sheet (plexiglas) and using that as a top layer over the paint.  Save your extra paint, and then you can touch the job up before you put the plexi on (if you have a problem with the paint chipping)  I've seen it pretty thin, and while it will eventually scratch, it's not hideously expensive either.

Thanks for the advice Nurk...

What I did was I went to the kitchen area at LOWES, and I found a sample of granite that I liked... It's a rich warm brownish tone. Then I went to the paint sample section, and I found every significant tone of color and matched it in paint. (I have four paint colors from a light beige to a deep rust and even black) My base coat will be the lightest, then I'll sponge on some, and use my art brushes to get the rest of the effect. I've been practicing on some practice board (that they also sell at Lowes.)

The guy I talked to told me that once it's all dry (which is going to take several days to even paint each layer on) to use this two part epoxy that you mix carefully, and pour on, and spread with a brush. It's what they use on Bars in restaurants to give a high gloss, protective finish. He says it will make my paint job have the sheen of high gloss granite, and it's super durable. I hope it works because it was expensive.  8|

Either way, the whole project will come in at way under two hundred dollars. That's a high dollar look for a lot less.  :thumbsup:

Wow, this has to be the longest thread I have ever seen in all my wanderings on the internet.

Wow, this has to be the longest thread I have ever seen in all my wanderings on the internet.

~ Hi Cleric! :wave: It's good to meet you!

This IS the longest thread on the internet! LOL! It all started back on the old (original) Les Stroud Website over two years ago. :thumbsup: By Swede! He made a post that said "Join us this Friday night at the Campfire, to tell stories etc.) So that Friday night, everyone who had been posting at the Les Stroud website, met up, online, and told old fashioned Campfire stories! :thumbsup: It went on ALL night, (Mostly because Holly and I had insomnia, and we had Rockhounder and some others from California who were four hours behind us.

A few of us took it upon ourselves to just keep the thread going..... (personally, I kept it going late at night sometimes because I could never sleep!) It was originally created to help keep other threads on track (because people are social creatures, and they just love a place to meet and talk!)

Swede invented the Campfire thread at the Old Les Stroud Webstie, and it became the most popular thread on the forum. :clap: :cheers: :no1: (it's been duplicated on other forums, but Swede is the number one inventor!)

When that Website went down, we brought it over here. :thumbup:

The founding members of the Campfire are (in no special order)

Swede

Woodsman

Wendy

Dave469

Holly

Me (taken by the wind...)

Rockhounder

Kentucky Bob

Bigblue

LOST

Hazeywolf (may he be remembered for the good things) .... :whistle:

Jeji

Machine & Thumper

Cisco

Radek

Adrenjunky

Lead Dog

Crazystick

Doug

Survivorkid

Eaglescout

God...........the list goes on, and is long but distinguished. :rofl: (I know I've left people out)

Either way, it was a great experiment in sociology. :whistle: We built a fire, and people just Came to it. from all over.

We posted pics of fires too back then.... often. It was like a return to another time. A time when people sat around a fire at night, instead of a T.V. We ALL did, and that's how we all came to know each other so well.

gee thanks for leaving me out... jerk!  happy097.gif

i posted one of my old photoshop fires 3 days ago.....

i'll go get some wood.

chop1.gif

~ One of my funniest memories on the Old Campfire site was one night (shortly after the Campfire was created) I was talking with Swede and somebody I cannot remember...

I was doing my best to keep the converstaion going for like three hours!  happy097.gif  We talked about Groundhogs and Gofers for THREE HOURS!   :woot: :rofl: :rofl:

My husband woke up because he could hear me laughing! LOL!!  he was like "WHAT are you DOING????"  

I said "I'm talking about Gofers!"   this guy (whom I cannot remember) could not talk about anything but gofers, and groundhogs ... and some ferrets thrown in occasionally.)   happy097.gif

i have lots of other stuff in the time capsule

Yeah, I rememver THAT one!  LOL!!   I was referring to folks who really kept it going that first two weeks...  That's when a thread usually dies, in the first week.

I'm sorry..... Theking.... you are definately a founding memeber! LOL!   :hug: :cheers:

Even if you DID chop me down out of my tree!  8|

~ Geeze  King!  Why have you always been so violent with me?

I've always felt afraid of you!  :unsure:    :cry:    scared011.gif

~    :scared: 

scared011.gif

[move]swede-1.gif whip.gif

swede-1.gif whip.gif

scared011.gifswede-1.gif

swede-1.gif whip.gif

swede-1.gif moose0024.gif[/move]

piratesyj5eh7.png

Remember Doug's illustrations?  happy097.gif

~ who's that you're whipping, King???   LOL!  I can't see the pic.....

~ King..........Here's where you REALLY made your mark  In MY book....    happy097.gif

hollymrhaneylu8.jpg