WildSurvive Forum
Bravo

Campfire Talk

I finished my Quinzee mostly, I didn't make it quite tall enough to put in a raised bed, but later I may pad the ground with cedar boughs.

I was pretty warm through the whole thing, I had to take off my coat, I was cooking!!! Only problem was snow getting in my boots, any advice? They are only just above my ankels, and my snow pants go 2 inches or so below my ankels,

SK you need to get a pair of snow gaiters to keep the snow out of your boots

Try www.sportsmansguide.com or www.rei.com and type gaiters in the search box

Morning peeps!!  It's a tad on the cooooooool side  this morning!  Without the windchill it's -25!! :scared:  The poor squirrel mobile wouldn't start.  Stay inside guys and gals. happy070.gif

Hi everyone!  A toasty warm 5 degrees here this morning!  moose0024.gif

SK, until you get some gaiters you might try the old field expedient of using duct tape to either tighten the cuffs of the snow pants.  If you can and when you get a chance, check out some clearance sales going on and find some taller boots.  Cabela's has a winter clearance going on with alot of footwear on sale, they may have gaiters as well.

LOL!!  Dogs have more sense than most people want to credit them with!  I just realized that I forgot to fill the birdfeeders last night.  I'm gonna have some unhappy campers when I get home.

Campmor sells gaiters too.  I'd suggest you look for gaiters the use velcro to close.  Zippers will freeze up at times.  Plus zippers can be very difficult to work if your fingers are cold.

Snaps can be tough to use at those temperatures, too.  I had a set of coveralls with snaps at the cuffs and after some time in the snow they were hard to work with.  I agree, velcro is the way to go.

Yeah, it usually only gets this cold a few times a year.  Our normal temps this time of year might average from 30 to 35 degrees or even just a bit warmer.

I'd kill right now for it to be 35.  The squirrel mobile failed to start this morning.  Fora sec I thought it was going to start but then the power just dropped off and it wouldn't turn over. :curse:

Doesn't matter.  I wound up taking my dad's truck to work.  I will jump the squirrel mobile when I get home tonight.  THen tomorrow I get to move a rank of wood from behind the shed into the garage to help finish out the winter.

I first heard of them about 7 (?) years ago when I was working at Wally World.  We don't play their stuff on the station, we just play the original stuff.  Those guys can play, and I really like bluegrass.  But it's hard for me to listen to them play a rock song in bluegrass style.  "Highway to Hell" loses something with banjo's and mandolins!  :D

Morning folks, no school, again today!  Might drop by the book store today and spend a gift card. 

I bought a pair of gaiters off ebay, they should be here sometime next week, until then I'll try the ducktape K-bob, thanks for the idea!

I don't now if I need a new pair of boots or not, these have really impressed me, I've worn them all year long, and my feet always stay warm, just keep on 2 pairs of wool socks.  As long as snow doesn't get in, my feet stay plenty warm. 

Hi SK!  Since you have the gaiters on the way, the taller boots shouldn't be necessary.  I have a pair of Matterhorns that I use for really deep snow, otherwise my old Red Wings do the trick for anything else.

not bad

got a part time job in a local rat hole bar

the joys of doing a bouncer job again( insert sarcasm with a cricket bat....here)

$20?  Can't beat that for boots that work that well.  I bought my Red Wings for $99....uhm...well.  I don't know how long ago.  Early 90's?  At any rate, they're worn out and ready to replace.  I've been looking around for some mid-height boots or chukkas, and still haven't found a pair to suit me.