WildSurvive Forum
Bravo

Campfire Talk

Man I hope some of that nice weather is coming my way Swede.  I could use a couple days in to 50's to get up on the roof and see why smoke is backing up in the house.

You have a bad creosote build up?

Dynamic wind loading - Can occur when the wind causes negative air pressure. Negative air pressure and consequent telltale back puffing of smoke may be particularly noticeable when a door or window is opened on a side of the home other than the windward side. To restore normal pressure in the home, make up air is apt to enter via the chimney and come down into the living area. If the appliance is operating, smoke is then carried into the room.  This is one example of chimney smoke problems.

* In a relatively airtight house, negative pressure problems can be caused by appliances that exhaust the inside air out of your house, such as cooking ranges, exhaust fans, a clothes dryer vent, furnaces, attic fans, or other devices.  This describes many common chimney smoke problems and fireplace smell entry issues.  Your individual chimney smoke problems may be the result of a variety of factors.

Well I got word yesterday that next week is my last week in the office.  After that I get moved out either onto the production floor or I might wind up driving forklift in the warehouse again.  Guess I'm moving down in the world.  I know, I know, I should just be glad I still have a job.

You have a bad creosote build up?

I'm not sure.  I checked the chimney over the summer and it seemed pretty clean.  I really haven't had this problem before.  Creosote is my first guess.  The whole negative air pressure thing is possible but I don't see how when it's never happened before now.

I'm not sure.  I checked the chimney over the summer and it seemed pretty clean.  I really haven't had this problem before.  Creosote is my first guess.  The whole negative air pressure thing is possible but I don't see how when it's never happened before now.

Dave-

Try this first: Before you start a fire wad up some news paper and light it in the fireplace/stove. Get some real heat going up the flue, then start your fire. What happens is the cold temps create an "air cap" in your flue and the heated air just can stay hot enough to penetrate that cold air at the top of the flue so if you get a nice flow of hot hot air (from burning the newspaper) you'll get upward flow. If you start to get smoke coming down again after your fire is still burning, do the same thing with the newspaper, just burn something hot and fast to push the cold air out of the flue. Maybe this is your issue and it'll keep you off the roof!

I know I have to open up the draft on the stove more than usually to keep the smoke in check.  When my furnace kicks on I get a whiff of it's exhaust coming from the stove.

I know I have to open up the draft on the stove more than usually to keep the smoke in check.  When my furnace kicks on I get a whiff of it's exhaust coming from the stove.

Prolly creosote Dave.

No work yet?

yes and no... tuesday. we went up to richfield, ut and i had to drive a new HHR down.  i just turned up the rock music and set the curse at 80. easiest 30 bucks i've ever made.