WildSurvive Forum
Bravo

Campfire Talk

Thanks for the link. I have a book on PHP, cant remember the author.

I lurk around on webdeveloper.com, and sitepoint.com as well.

Im glad you say Dreamweaver and Flash is easy, I need something like that as a project, and then I know for sure anything with "java" in it is difficult, but I like the concept of it.

ya java and javascript are two differant things.. but both can be done in dreamweaver.

the best way to learn how to code is make your own web site and learn by trial and error. (thats all i did)

it's best to make sure you understand and can code html and css by heart before you move on to php and working with a database (mysql). if you know how to code in c++ or c# then php should be fairly easy because the code fallows the same pattern. i never go into javascript and don't really have much need to.

i kinda think of my self as a traitor. i stopped doing everything by myself and went to a CMS (wordpress) it's so much nicer and I can get things done 10X as fast.. but i still need to use my coding skills to customize it and fix problems.. like the IE problem i was working on last night.

I wish you luck in your studies.. the world could always use one more computer geek.

also a few more websites that might help (http://css-tricks.com/) (http://www.w3schools.com/) (http://problogger.net/)

Yea. Websites are becoming similar to telephone, or power shortages. When things go wrong people become irritated pretty quickly. I like the idea of learning things so I can solve problems.

thats all i do.... when swede messes up his forum, computer, or webcam i'm the one who ends up fixing it. :P but i'm usally the one who messed up his forum, computer, or webcam in the first place. happy097.gif :rofl:

when swede calls me on the phone I act like i know what i'm doing but I usally don't have an F-ing clue. :rofl: some how it gets fixed in the end.

Well that makes a lot of sense. You may not know the solution, when talking to an individual, but he doesnt need to know that.  :notangel:

Sounds good. So now I can start charging $50 an hour to fix websites?

I used to work for a guy who knew somebody who fixed transmissions. Soon as a customer left, the mechanic would look up whats wrong with the transmission, and then "learn how" to fix the tranny as well. After a while the mechanic figured out how to fix transmissions without needing to look in a book.

Sounds good. So now I can start charging $50 an hour to fix websites?

Just kidding  :unsure: happy097.gif

i don't know if you ment that as a joke... but i don't know what your skill lvl is. but ya there are people who charge about that and more. I work for free here. LOL I consider it an internship.

I know building websites is really good business, and even I don't have enough skill to pull off anything major. I have a few people looking to me to build websites for there companies and I told them I could do it but we really haven't gotten into it yet.

Just kidding  :unsure: happy097.gif

i guess it was a joke.  my mind is only firing on one piston. it's been a long day. 

I read an article somewhere that talks about, dont pay any attention to "teach yourself, such and such, in 21 days" and instead plan on spending 10 years before you get really good.

You can learn the basics I suppose in 21 days, but it will still take a long time to get really good.

in my oppinon I would say "plan on spending your whole life before you get really good." things are always going to change and new languages are coming out... right now the new version of css 3.0 is out and people will have to learn all these new thing to stay in the game. I think if people choose to ignore all the new code and versions then I think they are going to be left behind.

I've been doing this for 5 years and just when I think I know alot about something I start to learn how to do something else or watch a video on something and I realize "i don't know jack"  

but I do have to admit that when i was a senior in high school I took the most advanced photoshop class at the college and they didn't teach me Jack.

i am.. but its 2:35 so i'd love to stay and chat but i'm tring to finish things up before i shut'er down.

I'm typing with one eye open right now so I'll talk to ya later.

good night.

Another cloudy cool rainy day here. Spoon River has been bank full for days now. The grass really turned green in the last few days. That reminds me I have to get my lawn mower to the mechanic before mowing season.

Guest blacksmith

hi all sunny day here not that warm but sunny

Guest blacksmith

hi Tatonka how are you today

well the back is starting to tell me about the fall today

You know. If you fall down, technically you should be wearing a C-Collar, until transport to the clinic, its possible you could have a spinal injury.  B)