WildSurvive Forum
Bravo

Campfire Talk

How do you guys like a hammoch compared to just sleeping under a tarp on the ground?

On the ground is fine for a young guy... The hammock is like a soft mattress

How do you guys like a hammoch compared to just sleeping under a tarp on the ground?

i love it, but im realizing that you need the right hammock. i played with one a while back that was a "brazzilian" style. its cut extra wide and hung loose. when you lay in it you lay flat like a bed. you can sleep on your side. i really liked it. if i can get flat ill take it over the ground anyday. especially when its hot as hell out.

it dont help when your 6-2 and 225 pounds either, i feel like a awaddled sardine in my cheapo.

Lol... Ever see the ad for ranger ricks net hammock? Ugh! That guy is cramed in that thing lol

Lol... Ever see the ad for ranger ricks net hammock? Ugh! That guy is cramed in that thing lol

lol, no ill have to look it up! i have them saved in favorites somewhere

I bought a hammock when I was in the guard, no idea what it was (I found it at a Military Surplus store in Des Moines).  It didn't have a tag or a name or anything on it, and it was cheap (I wana say somewhere between 12 and 17 dollars).  MAN that thing was awesome.  It had heavy ropes, and side lines and was incredibly comfortable.    I slept great in it.  (It hung very tight and straight, and was more than long enough for my 6 foot 3 frame).  I loved it, but I messed up packing on the way back from Wyoming for a 2 week AT and think I left it on the back of a generator, and never saw it again.  I really want to get another some time.   

I bought a hammock when I was in the guard, no idea what it was (I found it at a Military Surplus store in Des Moines).  It didn't have a tag or a name or anything on it, and it was cheap (I wana say somewhere between 12 and 17 dollars).  MAN that thing was awesome.  It had heavy ropes, and side lines and was incredibly comfortable.    I slept great in it.  (It hung very tight and straight, and was more than long enough for my 6 foot 3 frame).  I loved it, but I messed up packing on the way back from Wyoming for a 2 week AT and think I left it on the back of a generator, and never saw it again.  I really want to get another some time.

Kinda sounds like the viet-nam jungle hammock, my brother has one of those

~ taken walks quietly up to the fire, and sits in the shadows... 

she doesn't quite know how to contribute. She's too tired to swagger in and change the conversation altogether. So she just listens.

something, she's amazingly good at. (believe it or not.)  :smoke:

There is a rocking motion in hammock. Puts me right to sleep.

I have been doing both for many years. I rig my tarp and sleep on the ground when it is cold and no bugs. I rig the tarp over my hammock when it is hot and bugs are out. The tarp and the hammock are 1lb each so lighter than a tent. Works in Alabama anyway.lol Also, as I get older my knees get cramped in the hammock. I just wad my jacket up and put it under my knees and it fixed that. My 2 cents anyway

I really miss my hammock,  I had my "Shelter half" that the Army issued to me, and I would rig that up as a tarp over the hammock, it wasn't quite big enough by itself, but it kept the bulk of the rain off (Even during a particullary nasty thunderstorm, THAT was an interesting 2 hours in a hammock LOL).  I've never used a bug screen, probably would like to have one, but bugs just don't seem to like me as much as everyone else.  Never could figure out why.  (I guess it's probably the radiation I picked up working old AN-GRC radio gear, probably lucky I was able to have kids :D )

One thing, I snore, and I only sleep about 4 hours a night, so many nights, when I finally decide to go to bed, I don't want to wake up my wife, I will just lay on the floor with a blanket and sleep (Plus I'm paranoid and after having my van broken into, I like sleeping near the front of the house with a window open so I wake up at the slightest noise outside).  I can sleep on any surface without much trouble.  Once you get used to sleeping on hard surfaces, your hips and back adjust to it and you can sleep anywhere comfortably, so sleeping on the ground don't bother me at all.  I haven't been in a hammock in 18 years or so, so I'm not sure how it would do for me sleeping. 

Well, I am totally "the princess and the pea" when it comes to sleeping outside.  I love my big air mattress with a sleeping bag and a huge fluffy comforter thrown over the top of it all.  :hugegrin:

Are we STILL talking about hammocks?  :S 

I did it in a hammock once.  :thumbup:  if we're gonna talk about hammocks we might as well kick it up a notch.  :smoke:

Just once? You must not have cared much for it then.

Just got word that another one of my knife designs is going into production. This one is quite a bit smaller than the last one :)

Just got word that another one of my knife designs is going into production. This one is quite a bit smaller than the last one :)

Great news, Mist.  Any details you can share yet?

Mist keep us posted. Is Schrade going to produce then one too?

I dont know what it takes to make it rain here. If we miss this one it looks like a week before we get another chance. We are in the same drought we had last year. At least the mowing is stalled out for now.

Some thing got too close to PU our resident skunk that lives in the brush pile in the south end of the pond pasture last night. We see him daily digging up some kind of food in the grass on the far end of the pasture. He stunk up the place pretty good for a while. I havent seen him yet today so I hope he didnt get killed. I have no idea why something would want to eat a skunk.

Cold and gloomy here so far today.

I dont know what it takes to make it rain here. If we miss this one it looks like a week before we get another chance. We are in the same drought we had last year. At least the mowing is stalled out for now.

Some thing got too close to PU our resident skunk that lives in the brush pile in the south end of the pond pasture last night. We see him daily digging up some kind of food in the grass on the far end of the pasture. He stunk up the place pretty good for a while. I havent seen him yet today so I hope he didnt get killed. I have no idea why something would want to eat a skunk.

Cold and gloomy here so far today.

We had 2.5 inches last weekend and 5 inches yesterday and last night.  It rained hard, but it was spread out over most of the day, so most of it has soaked in.  My potatoes are up and the strawberries are looking quite happy.

We have skunks dig in our yard pretty regularly.  They dig little holes to get to worms and grubs. Sounds like they will pretty much eat anything.