WildSurvive Forum
Bravo

Campfire Talk

We live within 50 miles of six nuclear power plants. Way back I took a course in civil defense and basically they said if any one of them blew up bend over and kiss your ass good by.

Same here. I have the Atlantic to my back. All the routes out of state take you past a power plant.

I did the Army's NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) school 20 years ago, so some of this info may be out of date but we had to do all the calculations vs yield sizes and area topographics etc for both tactical and full scale nuclear weapons.  It all comes down to wind direction and velocity.  The actual explosions although huge, are survivable at much shorter distances than I would have initially estimated by a huge factor. (I can't remember the distances but it was relatively close, in fact one of the survivors of Hiroshima was less than 500 meters from the detonation  inside a bank building, just concrete walls at that distance).   

This as well as Most nukes are designed for initial destruction, (Generally air bust  rather than "Dirty" explosions (Ground burst) that suck up dirt and radiate it then disperse it.)  Basically if the initial explosion didn't get you, you'd have a chance unless the wind was blowing your way.  A few high yield nukes are no where near as bad as a potential meltdown and subsequent cloud dispersal of a nuclear meltdown.  (Just look at Chernobyl).  I live about 27 miles from a reactor.  Fortunately, our prevailing winds generally push south of us enough that the likelihood of carryover to our town is much less likely.

There used to be a map online, that you could punch your address in and it would show you the distances to the nearest nuke power plants and the general fallout direction and size of various types of meltdowns.  I can't remember it though.  Might have to do some googling when I get some more free time.

Punch your zip into that link above.  Looks like the annual prevailing winds are traveling south east for the majority of the areas in the midwest.    That can always change in a minute and we get some nasty storms blowing other directions once in a while, but the average by far is to the south east.

Holy smokes! I just stumbled on a guy from another forum with over 30K posts.  8|

Must have callus's on his a$$.

Was it Muddy Pete?  :unsure:

I'm so happy!  Ant is hooking up my PlayStation so I can play "Oblivion".  I've missed playing my video games!  :bounce:

What have you done to Ant it looks like hes lost 30 pounds?    :P

He's lost 36 lbs so far.  :thumbsup:  He's married to the manager of a weight loss clinic after all...:P

He's lost 36 lbs so far.  :thumbsup:  He's married to the manager of a weight loss clinic after all...:P

But, but southern cooking aka Second breakfast? Fried steak? Sho-fly pie? Butter milk biscuits and gravy. Sweet tea?

I can't figure out how kids these days can type over 1000 texts in a day!  Then again, Taken by the wind and I can type a dozen PMs back and forth in no time at all.  :grin:

Holy everything hitting at once!  Finals, my car needs fixing, things need organizing around home, and to top it off they want me working 5 days a week... Damn...

Organize. Prioritize. Visualize. 

More deer showing up but the next four days of deer slaughter is coming up.

Morning moon.

moon_004.jpg.cb9d218125180fd0250015f1ae0f2399.jpg

Holy everything hitting at once!  Finals, my car needs fixing, things need organizing around home, and to top it off they want me working 5 days a week... Damn...

~ Watcher, just do what I do...  When in danger, or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.  scared011.gif

it doesn't do any good, but it makes other people around you laugh.  :P

It's like email.  I send between 30 and 50 emails a day.  Most are 1 sentence.    But I type over 100 WPM so it's not like it's taking up much time.  By the end of the year I send about 12,000 emails.  Same with forums.  I "Save up" posts and login and then read a bunch of posts quickly and make replies, then I'm off to whatever project I'm working on.  The time between these rush sessions is based on how busy I am.  But I can read 20 or 30 posts in 3 or 4 minutes rather than stay logged in and try to keep up one post at a time.  Just more efficient.  But it also keeps me out of some ongoing conversations (Like campfire sometimes) where I log in every 3rd or 4th page to add a post.  That's why for all the forums I'm on (over the last 8 or 10 years) I still don't have a combined total of 10,000 or 12,000 posts.

I know some people who have done 12,000 posts in 1 year on some forums.  It's all a matter of free time.  If I had that much free time, I'd be out in the woods somewhere LOL