WildSurvive Forum
Bravo

Campfire Talk

I am not an expert and don't claim to be, but why does ANY person in the country NEED an assault style rifle. I understand it is the really mentally disturbed that are to blame but it seems access to these weapons are way to easy.

Like · · Unfollow Post · Share.

2 people like this..

Tim Kasparek i've thought the same thing Dan. definitely no expert on gun control but an assault rifle seems unnecessary for just about anyone doesn't it?

43 minutes ago · Like..

Trevor Greenfield Protection, hunting, sport, entertainment. People will kill other people no matter what. It's not the guns that are bad, it's the people. The same day as the shooting in Conneticuit, there was a mass stabbing at a school in China where a man stabbed 22 people. There are laws preventing the purchase of any weapon for any individual with a mental illness. I sell guns for a living, and guarentee you that there are people we say NO to for buying guns. If you banned "Assault Rifles", there would be a huge loss of jobs as well, which is NOT what this country needs. "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun". I understand your view, and respect it, just expressing my own as well.

25 minutes ago · Like..

Dan Hillers Trevor...loss of jobs or 26 kindergartners killed. Bad argument.

11 minutes ago via mobile · Like..

Trevor Greenfield I agree this is a horrible thing, but he was going to do this no matter what. As was shown by the guy in China. If you ban assault weapons, criminals will still get them. Drugs are illegal, but still highly prevelent and criminals still get and use them. He didn't even use the AR in the shooting (from what I understand) He used a Glock 9mm and a Sig Sauer 9mm. A similar glock model was used by a CCW permit holder in Oregon to stop the shooting in that mall from escalating any further. Please don't turn this and think I don't care about the kindergarters that were killed because that is just not true. It is a horrible loss and it personally bothers me on a deep level. I don't understand the idea that taking away legal gun owners guns will stop gun violence though. Its not the legal gun owners committing the crimes.

5 minutes ago · Like

Grrrr....

What we really need is "automobile control".  This person drove in a car to the school, so if we outlaw cars, then that would keep this kind of thing from happening again.

(*...perhaps a note of sarcasm...*)

I'm quite sure the gun control issue will heat up in the days to come. Nut control is more what is needed, but how does that come to be. Anyone who has studied history knows that "civilized" man has been butchering one another since the recording of those event have begun.

The latest tragedy is just that, a tragedy. For those involved, and for those of us that have watched it unfold.

Yes i am a firearm owner. They have always been a part of my life and i just passed the half century mark. Everyone i know owns firearms. Granted i live in a part of the country where some form of values and common sense still abound.

The media will ride this last event for all the ratings they can get, and like a previous post mentioned, all that will be remembered is the shooter, the guns and the number. The term "assault weapon" will be at the forefront. A term that pisses me off personally.

I wish i had the answer or the reason for what drives some to do what they do. I just refuse to pay the price for their choices.

Yes I am a fire arm owner is pretty much understated Neighbor.  :P  If I got to the point of killing a bunch of folks it dam sure wouldnt be kindergarten kids. I can think of a few who would be much higher on my list.

I NEVER want to shoot another human being.  But don't think for a second I would hesitate to do it to protect my loved ones or any innocents in harms way.

wow watcher, i heard a new one there with your argument.  the words  "assault style rifle" obviously this person doesn't realize that by saying those words they are openly admitting that such a rifle is not an assault rifle but they are also making the point clearly that they are basing there ignorance on what something looks like "style"

my guns have never harmed anyone. i use them for food, for entertainment and recreation.do you need a 42 inch flat screen TV, no, do you need a brand new ford f150 pickup, no. so what is wrong with me buying a gun that i choose to use responsibly because its not a single shot bolt action "hunting" rifle.  they most likely will never harm anyone unless they are called upon to defend me, my family or anyone around me that is in mortal danger.  i do not have the desire to harm another, but i wouldn't hesitate a second to prevent someone from harming others.  i have also trained myself to be both proficient and accurate and safe. so that if i ever did have to protect myself or someone i am not spraying arrant rounds into innocent people. it helps me keep a clear conscience.  and howdy swedesneighbor. glad to see you at the fire my friend. wanna do some yote hunting this winter sometime, let me know.

wow watcher, i heard a new one there with your argument.  the words  "assault style rifle" obviously this person doesn't realize that by saying those words they are openly admitting that such a rifle is not an assault rifle but they are also making the point clearly that they are basing there ignorance on what something looks like "style"

my guns have never harmed anyone. i use them for food, for entertainment and recreation.do you need a 42 inch flat screen TV, no, do you need a brand new ford f150 pickup, no. so what is wrong with me buying a gun that i choose to use responsibly because its not a single shot bolt action "hunting" rifle.  they most likely will never harm anyone unless they are called upon to defend me, my family or anyone around me that is in mortal danger.  i do not have the desire to harm another, but i wouldn't hesitate a second to prevent someone from harming others.  i have also trained myself to be both proficient and accurate and safe. so that if i ever did have to protect myself or someone i am not spraying arrant rounds into innocent people. it helps me keep a clear conscience.  and howdy swedesneighbor. glad to see you at the fire my friend. wanna do some yote hunting this winter sometime, let me know.

Well put, Razor.  I agree with your thoughts here and feel the same way.

This whole situation in Connecticut along with the bodies of the two girls from Evansdale being found just makes me sick.

60 Minutes is currently doing what appears to be an unbiased, factual account of what occurred.

We got bored and took a ride to town to look at Christmas lights. It seems like it should be midnight as long as its been dark and it was only 6. It seems like the nicer the house the more the lights but I do like to see what people come up with. This year I found seeing the tree in side the house was better. Even the small run down houses had a tree up. They put them in front of a window so all could see them. Its nice to see that Christmas is alive and well even if its flashing Chinese extravaganza with blow up plastic snow men half flat. Maybe a little of a bright spot in a world of uncertainty.   

We got bored and took a ride to town to look at Christmas lights. It seems like it should be midnight as long as its been dark and it was only 6. It seems like the nicer the house the more the lights but I do like to see what people come up with. This year I found seeing the tree in side the house was better. Even the small run down houses had a tree up. They put them in front of a window so all could see them. Its nice to see that Christmas is alive and well even if its flashing Chinese extravaganza with blow up plastic snow men half flat. Maybe a little of a bright spot in a world of uncertainty.   

Any leg lamps in the windows?

My 2 cents on a few things I read tonight on Facebook. Just my thoughts here.

I'm also not a gun expert. I do have a temper. I was in my 30's before I was comfortable with owning a gun. Guns and heightened emotions are as dangerous as guns and alcohol. 

I understand that people are scared. I'm scared. That could have been Space Ace in that school classroom or the children of anyone of us on the forum. I'm sorry, but I'm glad it wasn't.

Scared people are dangerous. Where children are threatened, they become more so. The issue I saw on FB was Bush Gardens Theme park in Virginia allowing weapons in the park and Michigan allowing C&C in places that previously wouldn't allow firearms.

My fear is that they are allowing scared, emotional people to bring weapons into these places increasing the chance of someone innocent getting hurt or killed by accident.   

Just my thoughts.

Adi good to see you, missed you. OFG good to see you made it home safe.

Thanks, Muddy.  It's good to be back. A long grueling trip.

My 2 cents on a few things I read tonight on Facebook. Just my thoughts here.

I'm also not a gun expert. I do have a temper. I was in my 30's before I was comfortable with owning a gun. Guns and heightened emotions are as dangerous as guns and alcohol. 

I understand that people are scared. I'm scared. That could have been Space Ace in that school classroom or the children of anyone of us on the forum. I'm sorry, but I'm glad it wasn't.

Scared people are dangerous. Where children are threatened, they become more so. The issue I saw on FB was Bush Gardens Theme park in Virginia allowing weapons in the park and Michigan allowing C&C in places that previously wouldn't allow firearms.

My fear is that they are allowing scared, emotional people to bring weapons into these places increasing the chance of someone innocent getting hurt or killed by accident.   

Just my thoughts.

i understand your concerns muddy. i do belive that people should have to take a training class to be allowed to carry a firearm. they should also show proficency and common scence. and pass both in the eyes of a qualified instructor  as far as being scared. i carry a gun, thats why im not scared. i know not everyone that will be carrying will have these same credentials.i know the shooting comunity, for the most part they are responsible, there are always going to be some over zelious cowboys out there but id take the  infintismal chance of an accident that might hurt one person over the garantee that everyone in the building can be killed by one person with intent to do harm.  you can never 100% illiminate accidents.  i for one would like to see michigans laws passed where i live also. id feel safer knowing my child isnt a fish in a barrel.  my 2 cents. ill leave the subject alone now.  welcome back ofg. glad you made it back safe and sound.

My 2 cents is. A gun is no different than a hammer, a shovel or any other tool. Its all in the mindset of the person handling it. Its hard to blame a tool for wrong doing...

exactly  :arigato:

My 2 cents is. A gun is no different than a hammer, a shovel or any other tool. Its all in the mindset of the person handling it. Its hard to blame a tool for wrong doing...

Well said.

You are right on there.  If someone is intent on hurting other people, they can find a way to do it with whatever they happen to have.  The focus needs to be on the person committing the crime, rather than what they happen to use to commit the crime.

If you can identify the underlying motivation, then you at least have a chance to prevent it from happening again.

You are right on there.  If someone is intent on hurting other people, they can find a way to do it with whatever they happen to have.  The focus needs to be on the person committing the crime, rather than what they happen to use to commit the crime.

If you can identify the underlying motivation, then you at least have a chance to prevent it from happening again.

that is so true Ofg. we all know about mental illness. but its still kind of taboo. the biggest problem and im sure the largest contributer to incidents like this is people ignoring or not understanding mental issues in others. awareness and education might do far more good than blaming and critisizing the tools used in crimes by the mentally ill.

that is so true Ofg. we all know about mental illness. but its still kind of taboo. the biggest problem and im sure the largest contributer to incidents like this is people ignoring or not understanding mental issues in others. awareness and education might do far more good than blaming and critisizing the tools used in crimes by the mentally ill.

I think people need something to blame for the situation. They don't want to admit that another person is just messed up as it might reflect the possibility that they themselves or something with our society may be flawed as well.  If they can blame the gun or something else as the cause, then it makes them feel better and not have to admit to the real problem.

Guess the big question is...how to we as a society filter out the "bad" seeds before they pick up the tools and use them wrong?

It has to start with parents, talking and paying attention to their kids. They have to be the first line of education and awareness.  You have to take the lead in teaching your children, but also assessing their behavior.  Guide them, correct them as needed, but also realize if something is not right, then seek help.

Guess the big question is...how to we as a society filter out the "bad" seeds before they pick up the tools and use them wrong?

I think people need something to blame for the situation. They don't want to admit that another person is just messed up as it might reflect the possibility that they themselves or something with our society may be flawed as well.  If they can blame the gun or something else as the cause, then it makes them feel better and not have to admit to the real problem.

both very true statements. first off we have to accept that we can be flawed. then we need to edjucate people to look for those flaws. they may not stand out like a becon on the shore. thats the hard part. i do not nor do i claim to have any answers. but i do know that realistically you cannot make society 100% safe. just as putting seatbelts in a car dosnt gaurantee the ocupents will survive a crash but they sure do increase there chance of survival.

It has to start with parents, talking and paying attention to their kids. They have to be the first line of education and awareness.  You have to take the lead in teaching your children, but also assessing their behavior.  Guide them, correct them as needed, but also realize if something is not right, then seek help.

that is definatly the right path. i know how hard it is for a parent to admit there child might be "flawed' but that is exactly where it needs to start.