WildSurvive Forum
Bravo

Campfire Talk

Yes, there will be lots of emotions.  I just hope that our intelligence prevails.  Taking action based on emotion rather than logic and reason would not be a good course of action.

I can appreciate Muddy's concerns, but I think the majority of these personality types who pull off this type of crime have feelings of inferiority and have been victimized themselves at some point in their lives. I believe this personality type is counting on having the extreme upperhand in whatever encounter they plan out. If they sincerely believed in their minds that their "plan" could very well backfire on them, and be met with armed resistance by citizens who are openly allowed by law to ALSO carry a concealed weapon... they might be WAY more reluctant to take that chance. At least the states allowing this are evening up the odds. And making it more of a gamble for the next crazy person to become  "notorious".  lets see how many cowerdly shootings happen in an atmosphere of uncertainty.

Ive got satellite tv out here in the country where there may be 30 to 50 movies playing at any one time. I just checked the program guide and over half have murder, kill, war or some one dieing by violence as the theme of the movie. Most computer games or x box are all about mass killing. Then rap songs about violence.

Our kids are constantly bombarded by violence including the cable news who milk every incidence around the clock for ratings. Now its getting pretty silly as they all feign shock and sorrow and alligator tears to evoke emotion when the rest of us have moved on searching for an answer. 

There is a fine line between desensitizing (Which can be good and help save lives), and gratuitous violence. However, in the end, it's the individual.  99,999 people can play a video game with gratuitous violence and never even consider it anything other than a game, while that 1 person with mental issues can take it to heart. (But then again, no telling they wouldn't do it anyway even without the game).  Unfortunately until they have a standard test (Which they will never have) that says, "Oh this person is crazy and can't watch movie A, or play Game B etc"  there is nothing we can do that isn't destroying the liberty of everyone else in the off chance that it may skip that one person.  The best bet we have it to be observers, pay attention to those around us and intervene when we can.  That may be letting someone know about a behavior, it may be calling 911 or a doctor, or it may be reacting to the final result of that psychotic persons behavior.    In the end, even in a Utopian style society, the bad eggs are still going to do what bad eggs do. 

When I was a kid there was always John Wayne movie or some other cowboy/ WWII movie on the Sunday afternoon movie. In the 80's there was Chuck, Arnold and Stallone action hero movies. And don't forget the slasher movies.

None of the above made me want to shoot a real person or hate someone because they were foreign, or butcher tourists with an axe.

We had parents who took the time to explain TV from reality. We knew how to act. 

~ seemingly random acts of terror (especially against our children) create fear, and fear creates torment. When you're tormented you have trouble thinking clearly. We can't afford to not be thinking clearly right now. 

Somebody made a comment at work yesterday "I bet taken never loses it at home, or yells at anybody". I laughed and said "What makes you think that?"  :whistle:  She said "because no matter WHAT is happening at work, no matter how bad it is, when you come in the room you're always calm! You NEVER freak out, or act frantic."  I told her I stay calm so I can think. I've learned to evoke enough calmness to wash over the others standing around the bedside, so THEY Can think. If you can't think clearly, you can't apply what you've learned.

Some of you understand that because you have that hunter gene interwoven through your double helix. You're the kind of people who, when disaster happens people gravitate to your energy.  cool14.gif

Don't make the mistake of losing your calm right now in this atmosphere of chaos. It's time to step inside your head, and listen to your own heartbeat in the stillness of your OWN thoughts, and to think clearly, so you can apply what you know.  :thumbup:

~ seemingly random acts of terror (especially against our children) create fear, and fear creates torment. When you're tormented you have trouble thinking clearly. We can't afford to not be thinking clearly right now. 

Somebody made a comment at work yesterday "I bet taken never loses it at home, or yells at anybody". I laughed and said "What makes you think that?"  :whistle:  She said "because no matter WHAT is happening at work, no matter how bad it is, when you come in the room you're always calm! You NEVER freak out, or act frantic."  I told her I stay calm so I can think. I've learned to evoke enough calmness to wash over the others standing around the bedside, so THEY Can think. If you can't think clearly, you can't apply what you've learned.

Some of you understand that because you have that hunter gene interwoven through your double helix. You're the kind of people who, when disaster happens people gravitate to your energy.  cool14.gif

Don't make the mistake of losing your calm right now in this atmosphere of chaos. It's time to step inside your head, and listen to your own heartbeat in the stillness of your OWN thoughts, and to think clearly, so you can apply what you know.  :thumbup:

C'mon, it is always helpful to panic and create additional chaos in a time of crisis.

~ how do you know they weren't armed before?  :unsure:

I don't. But given the low rate of violent crime that takes place here during the summer, I'm guessing not many. 

I don't. But given the low rate of violent crime that takes place here during the summer, I'm guessing not many. 

~ carrying a gun doesn't make you violent..  no more than carrying a huge Rambo knife makes you violent.  :whistle:

I think we might be missing the point of all the violence on tv and the movies and even the music. Of course we all have rights and freedom but Im talking about children. As Muddy says his parents explained the difference. In our spoiled society where chasing a living and finding enough time in a day to enjoy life we may be missing our responsibility to notice problems around us.

I dont think that now is the time to be so dismissive as to say too much violence is not an answer while we are searching for answers. Theres obviously a problem and its going to take some careful thought without dismissing a suggestion out of hand.

An assault rifle is a select-fire (either fully automatic or burst capable) rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine. It is not to be confused with assault weapons. Assault rifles are the standard service rifles in most modern armies. Assault rifles are categorized in between light machine guns, which are intended more for sustained automatic fire in a light support role, and submachine guns, which fire a pistol cartridge rather than a rifle cartridge.

Examples of assault rifles include the StG 44, AK-47, M16 rifle, QBZ-95, INSAS, Heckler & Koch G36, and Enfield SA80.

~ nobody connects anymore... even though they are always in touch. Little boys used to go outside and shoot birds or squirrels with guns, or catch a fish with a hook. Nowadays they sit inside and shoot imaginary bad guys and bosses of games with imaginary bullets. The boss of the game comes back to life no matter how many times you kill it. The bird does not. Maybe that was a life lesson learned back then, that isn't learned today. Maybe that's why so many of these people end up killing themselves when they finally understand what the hell they've done... when it didn't play out like it did in their head.  :nono:

I don't know a single hunter who didn't feel remorse as a child for taking life from another creature. What seemed like an exciting stalking game, felt different when they held the dying creature in their hand. There is that moment of reverence exchanged... even if you hunt to eat. It is there. THAT's the difference. That's what these "boys" who are grown, have never had the opportunity to learn. How many of these "shooters" ever hunted? I wonder.  :unsure:

That would be very interesting to know.  I remember killing a blackbird when I was little with my BB gun.  I felt so excited, then, imediate remorse. 

The huge problem is that we don't address mental illness.  As this women talks about here- http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.com/2012/12/thinking-unthinkable.html

The thing that bothers me most is how clueless the majority is about guns.  I understand a high capacity semi automatic rifle was used.  BUT, the same thing could have been done with a 10/22 with a 22 round clip. 

That would be very interesting to know.  I remember killing a blackbird when I was little with my BB gun.  I felt so excited, then, imediate remorse. 

The huge problem is that we don't address mental illness.  As this women talks about here- http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.com/2012/12/thinking-unthinkable.html

The thing that bothers me most is how clueless the majority is about guns.  I understand a high capacity semi automatic rifle was used.  BUT, the same thing could have been done with a 10/22 with a 22 round clip. 

~ Watcher, if I had a dollar for every "blackbird" story I've heard, well... I wouldn't be rich, but I could at least go out to dinner.  :P  It just means you were raised to feel empathy. Empathy is not immediately learned. Some seem to be lacking completely. It's a lesson nature teaches when you go out into her world, and you take life from her. She allows it, but she lets you know that at that moment when you choose to exert your supreme advantage over another living creature, you also pay a price. I believe we feel it, because in the religion of the Earth, we are all connected.  :arigato:  Hunters have always payed homage to their prey, for that reason. It is a give and take relationship that in nature is sacred and intimate. My cousin was trying to shoot a bumble bee in a blueberry bush when he was seven, and when he missed, we both saw something fall to the ground. It was a humming bird. He picked up the tiny thing, and wept. He still hunts to this day, but I knew, that he felt that connection to that bird, and I know he didn't mean to kill it. He learned a great lesson on that day.

those lessons are not learned sitting in front of a video game. or a T.V.

My favorite thing with trail cameras is taking the sd card home and looking at the pictures Mr. Greene.