WildSurvive Forum
Bravo

Campfire Talk

I dont want to have to belong to a "gun club" to own my firearms. Granted my life is alot different from many of the people of America. I have worked hard for what i have, nothing has been givin to me. Part of the American dream. I love the history involved with guns. The mechanical side of them. Their evolution. They have always been in my life. Many enjoyable hours spent plinking and reloading. They are a part/tool in my life now, just like my trucks, tractors and 4 wheelers as i roam the hills and valleys around here. Guess i was raised differently than the world we now live in. That in its self is a shame.

I like the better tone we are addressing here. It will take a lot more thinking on both sides then what I have seen on TV or facebook. I asked NewZ to give me an opinion from another part of the world. The people who are buying up the guns are not deer hunters or maniacs their just as worried about protecting themselves as we are. A shooting takes place over seconds or a few minutes and the police show up in time to draw a chalk mark around the body.

Did you get that rocket launcher sighted back in today. Can I quit running from tree to tree now.

Yep, people here can buy and use pistols for example, but the catergory license for pistols is much harder to gain, and you have to belong to a club, if you dont turn up for a minimum of 6 shoots per year at a club then you lose your license and pistols, Police can come to your house anytime without warning to check your gun safe, and believe me they do check and often, if they find the slightest thing wrong then say goodbye to your license and all your firearms. 

Similar rules apply to military semi auto style weapons, no one here is saying you cant own them, the government just wants to know why, and makes getting the license for them very hard, so legitimate users who are into military target shooting clubs etc dont have a problem getting the license, its the everyday rambo wannabes that wont have a shit show of getting their hands on any.

~ I don't own a gun. I'll never be able to if I stay where I am. However, I do own a brain, and I do love History.  :thumbup:

Our forefathers dreamed of a better land. They were kick ass rebels. That's who we descended from. Our country was not founded by Pilgrims. It was founded by a group of men who got pissed off at what England was demanding of us, and they chose to take a stand. They chose to make a WAY where there had been none. They chose to attempt to deliver us from slavery. Unfortunately they got sold out along the way. But their dream still lives on... like a thread of truth woven through time, in the Patriot warriors that still hide unseen, and undefeated from the enemy, to this day....  the spirit of our forefathers' dream lives on. That's why the RIGHT to wage war against one's OWN government is SO Damn important. It's NOT about "HUNTING"....  :nono:

It's about waging war against Tyranny! And Hell fu*KING yes our Forefather's gave a SH*T about that. Some people say.... "They only wanted us to be able to defend our homes" Bull shit!! They wanted us to be able to defend our HOME LAND against a government gone awry! Because that shit happens all the time in History!

Cut to the chase. THAT's what it's all about.  cool14.gif

And why do they want to take away that particular rifle at this particular time? I don't know...?  :blink:

"the fact that we choose to ignore HIstory, is perhaps the most important lesson that History has to teach." That's just my take on it as a woman.

LIke I said..... I've never owned a gun. I wish I could though.

It may come as a shock but i actually know a lot of american history. we have things here called universitys where we can study american history. i was asked to give another countrys view on your gun laws. any reference to my own countrys laws are simply that, my own countrys laws. reference to hunting rifles was my own countrys culture not americas. probably would have just been easier to say "read again what i wrote" i know many great american people from hunting forums, many who say they would fight violently to keep their guns. culture differences will always be there. it seems many people don't want compromise. the government may have a total ban on assault rifles. would you rather have stricter laws or no weapons at all ?or die trying to keep them. and meanwhile the question still remains. why is this happening in america

In china someone walked into  a kindergarten class with a knife and stabed 20 something kids. Timithy mcvay killed over a hundred people without a gun.  Its not just america. Even the countries thst have no guns have the same incedents. Its not the weapon. Its the person behind it. Guns are not and should not even be the issue.  Allmost every mass slaying has been committed by someone mentaly disterbed with a  known mental illness on some type of mood or mental illness drug.  Thats where the focus should be. Not removing a mindless machine incapable of hurting anyone on its own.  Regardless of why anyone wants to own one.  We already cant own assault weapons. (In most states) So how is taking away our semi auto sporting rifles going to fix anything.  It wont. Period.

Well, it looks like everyone covered it.

1) Better mental health care/awareness

2) Eliminate no gun zones

3) At least 1 trained and armed individual at schools

4) Thorough background checks (already in place) (could they be better?)

Did I miss any?

I think these steps would greatly reduce if not eliminate tragic events.

As has been stated, crazy people will always find a way if they really want to and nothing we

do can stop them completely. The best we can hope for is to reduce them and stop tying

honest peoples hands to help prevent them.

Taken, you hit right on the head with that post. It drives me nuts when people use hunting in defense of the

2nd amendment. (I'm not flaming anyone. I hear this quite a bit) Yes, it's one valid reason, but I don't believe

it's the reason for the 2A. The right to keep and bear arms is the difference between citizens and subjects.

Personally, I also think part of the problem is disassociation with family caused by television, and video games. Don't get me wrong, I love both. The problem stems from too many people using them as babysitters. They no

longer have the human contact that many of us grew up with. Does it mean kids that watch a lot of TV and

play a lot of video games are going to snap and go on a killing spree? Hell no! But to a fragile mind, (and with

the population growing like it is there are many more) it might be another nail in the coffin so to speak.

NZ I think most took all your points as stated. I at least understand you were explaining how New Zealand handles things and I appreciate your input. To answer your question the 2nd Amendment of our Constitution recognizes God given rights.It's in the Bill of Rights. They are not the Governments to give or take away. Seeing how once you are unarmed you are unable to keep the 2nd or any other Amendments or articles of the Constitution,then no I'm not willing to compromise and I if necessary die keeping them. The Constitution is very important to me. I took an oath to defend it and I'm going to keep it. I wasn't planning on living forever but I am planning on leaving this Country to my grandchildren the way it was envisioned.

I think I saw where there is some question whether he even used a rifle to kill those kids.

NZ I think most took all your points as stated. I at least understand you were explaining how New Zealand handles things and I appreciate your input. To answer your question the 2nd Amendment of our Constitution recognizes God given rights.It's in the Bill of Rights. They are not the Governments to give or take away. Seeing how once you are unarmed you are unable to keep the 2nd or any other Amendments or articles of the Constitution,then no I'm not willing to compromise and I if necessary die keeping them. The Constitution is very important to me. I took an oath to defend it and I'm going to keep it. I wasn't planning on living forever but I am planning on leaving this Country to my grandchildren the way it was envisioned.

amen brother  :arigato:

I think I saw where there is some question whether he even used a rifle to kill those kids.

From what I have found, the gunman had four weapons. He left one in the car he drove to the school. All of the victims at the school were hit with the .223, most multiple times, only two at close range. He then used one of he handguns to kill himself.

I didnt see that Fat Guy thanks. Can you imagine shooting a child point blank with a .223 rifle?  :nono: That was some sick somabich right there.

Automatic weapons tend to be restricted to military and police organizations in most developed countries that permit the use of nonautomatic firearms. Where automatic weapons are permitted, restrictions and regulations on their possession and use may be much more severe than for other firearms.

We already have government restrictions canman.

My main rifles are .243 Winchester for coyotes. Remington 700 BDL bolt and Remington 7600 pump. I prefer my own loads. I buy new cases or use once fired cases. That way I dont have to trim cases. I use Nosler 70 gr Teflon tip or V-Max 75 gr. boat tail with polymer tips. Large rifles primers. Hodgdon 380 42 gr. or Varget 38 gr. I weigh each powder drop. Full resize and debur with a Lee hand loader deburing tool.

That information to a media talking head would be Chinese. So dont sit there and talk guns to me. They dont know what the hell their talking about.

Heres an old picture from my coyote killing days. Thats me standing in the green sweat shirt and carhart bibs.This season here, winter after deer season, we got 69. The next couple of years later we had heavy snow all winter we killed 108.

coyotes001.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Heres an old picture from my coyote killing days. Thats me standing in the green sweat shirt and carhart bibs.This season here, winter after deer season, we got 69. The next couple of years later we had heavy snow all winter we killed 108.

I bet you have a lot good memories from those hunts too.  Good times spent with family and friends are often relived in pictures like this. Sometimes I can pull a certain firearm out of the safe and it will take me back to a certain hunt or maybe time spent with my kids in the hunting woods.  Non hunters think all we are out there for is the kill, boy are they wrong.  Hunting is not about killing it is about quality time spent with friends, family, and time spent in the woods or around a camper fire and putting some meat on the table or putting good conservation practices to use in the process. It is good for the soul and keeps us in touch with our ancestors.

I usually averaged around 15 coyotes a year back when we hunted all winter. My dad usta say if you can see one shoot because every now and then the coyote managed to step in front of the bullet  :D  Going away at distance you can aim high on the back and if the bullet comes in low you can actually stop the coyote with bullet fragments. We call it fragged.  Running wide open from side to side is a major challenge. Get the cross hairs dead center, pull ahead (thats a guesstament) shoot and follow through. If you stop you will shoot behind him. Ive seen them roll 30 feet. Coyotes get out of balance in farming country because of dead livestock and road kills. They can easily clean up an entire small doe in one night.