WildSurvive Forum
Bravo

Campfire Talk

Since the warm up the deer are changing their movements however some come before dark and check for corn that I was feeding them. Our little yearling has ventured away. His apple jacks are still out there and hes nowhere to be found. Im not worried he has been killed by coyotes but I worry down the line, because hes a buck, if he will mistake humans for an animal that is not his enemy. Thats the problem when humans befriend a wild animal. He was too young to be orphaned and lacked the fear taught by his mother. I find this a problem lurking under the radar for the deer populations. Every thing is geared for big bucks and those trophy racks hanging on the wall that is causing too many does and too few bucks so a lot of does dont get bred till January. I see more and more tiny deer still with their mothers even now.Maybe he will return but if not we did what we could to get him through the winter.

Well...after years of searching I may have just found my apprentice to be my assistant...as long as her husband is on board with the idea, and he seems like a cool guy. She is a barista at a local coffee house where I hang out and write early in the mornings. We have exchanged pleasantries a good bit over the last several months...the usual "good morning, how are you today, what will you have?"... "Good morning, I'm doing well how about yourself, oh...something with four or five shots of espresso in it that doesn't taste like it has four or five shots of espresso in it would be nice", that sort of thing. We finally had an interesting first real conversation a few weeks ago, that started off a bit awkwardly. I stopped in early one morning after a particularly short night of sleep. I ordered a cup of coffee, and she turned around to pour it. Before I thought about how it would sound, being somewhat half asleep, I said..."Ooooh very nice!". I was referring to the Benchmade Adamas folder in her right rear pocket...but she thought I was referring to her behind. In all honesty, yes the statement was definitely applicable in either case, but I really was referring to the knife. So...then I had to explain myself...as well as my addiction to sharp pieces of steel...and we got to talking about knives, and other bits of gear, and one thing led to another and on to the subject of survival studies. Since then we have had several other real conversations, now she greats me by name as I walk through the door. Two days ago, as I was standing in line behind about  a half dozen pleated-skirt-uniformed girls from a  local college prep school, waiting to place my order. The other girl working with her was having trouble getting the new gallon of milk open. The tab on the tear-off safety seal ring broke and there didn't appear to be a perforation in it. So she struggled with trying to tear if off until “Oh darn it, I broke a nail!!” My new found friend, who was standing at the register taking orders, without missing a beat, says expuse me a sec, turns around, pulls out the Benchmade and flicks it open with purpose, makes a diagonal slit across the seal ring, inserts the tip and with a slight wrist movement flicks the end of the ring out where it could be grasped, closes her knife and puts it back in her back pocket as she turns back around, and resumes right where she left off with the order. The whole scene took about three seconds, and brought a tear to my eye!

Well...after years of searching I may have just found my apprentice to be my assistant...as long as her husband is on board with the idea, and he seems like a cool guy. She is a barista at a local coffee house where I hang out and write early in the mornings. We have exchanged pleasantries a good bit over the last several months...the usual "good morning, how are you today, what will you have?"... "Good morning, I'm doing well how about yourself, oh...something with four or five shots of espresso in it that doesn't taste like it has four or five shots of espresso in it would be nice", that sort of thing. We finally had an interesting first real conversation a few weeks ago, that started off a bit awkwardly. I stopped in early one morning after a particularly short night of sleep. I ordered a cup of coffee, and she turned around to pour it. Before I thought about how it would sound, being somewhat half asleep, I said..."Ooooh very nice!". I was referring to the Benchmade Adamas folder in her right rear pocket...but she thought I was referring to her behind. In all honesty, yes the statement was definitely applicable in either case, but I really was referring to the knife. So...then I had to explain myself...as well as my addiction to sharp pieces of steel...and we got to talking about knives, and other bits of gear, and one thing led to another and on to the subject of survival studies. Since then we have had several other real conversations, now she greats me by name as I walk through the door. Two days ago, as I was standing in line behind about  a half dozen pleated-skirt-uniformed girls from a  local college prep school, waiting to place my order. The other girl working with her was having trouble getting the new gallon of milk open. The tab on the tear-off safety seal ring broke and there didn't appear to be a perforation in it. So she struggled with trying to tear if off until “Oh darn it, I broke a nail!!” My new found friend, who was standing at the register taking orders, without missing a beat, says expuse me a sec, turns around, pulls out the Benchmade and flicks it open with purpose, makes a diagonal slit across the seal ring, inserts the tip and with a slight wrist movement flicks the end of the ring out where it could be grasped, closes her knife and puts it back in her back pocket as she turns back around, and resumes right where she left off with the order. The whole scene took about three seconds, and brought a tear to my eye!

When you say an apprentice, do mean to help you with writing, outdoors skills??

When you say an apprentice, do mean to help you with writing, outdoors skills??

The writing and photography part I can handle, but I'm not as young as I once was. The terrain I work in is pretty harsh, and It's the physical part of the work I am going to need help with in the coming years. My young life and twenty years in the construction industry was rough on my body. Plus I need an assistant for teaching classes. I also want to start doing some video tutorials and prefer to be behind the camera than in front of it. She has the looks, the right personality, the right voice, a great muscle structure, is extremely comfortable with sharp knives, and is passionate about knives and survival studies. 

Nothing like an OOovery nice to bring tears to your eyes.  :thumbup:

HA, I spent years in Miami watching string bikinis everywhere, and I live in a college/tourist town now, and I still have a gym membership. Lol, it's been years since an Ooooh-very-nice-derriere  brought tears to my eyes...or even held my attention for more than a second or two. This city is literally littered with thousands of them on any given day. The closest any hiney comes to bringing tears to my eyes is the one sported by my wife, and that has more to do with ten years of memories and my ever present amazement that I am married to it...err her. In this case it was the young girl being that comfortable with a razor sharp knife (I've handled it, and am very impressed with the edge she maintains) and being that confident in herself, that brought tears to my eyes. BUT growing up in the marketing industry, and still working in it some today, I do understand very well that pleasing shapes and sex appeal does sell, so yes I suppose that was still a factor in the attraction to her as an assistant.

Two male wood ducks lit on my pond today. The ice is about half melted and its completely full now. Its still raining and it rained off and on all night. 90% of the snow has gone.

I've been on the Google this morning researching natural tinder materals. Nothing in my neck of the woods except for pine cones. I walked up to the playground before work this morning and took one off the sidewalk and one off the tree.

Still no success. I even tried to light one in the gas fireplace in the lobby. It just charred up. Diddliy ding dang crap.

I'll try the pine cones out behind my condo this afternoon.

I've been on the Google this morning researching natural tinder materals. Nothing in my neck of the woods except for pine cones. I walked up to the playground before work this morning and took one off the sidewalk and one off the tree.

Still no success. I even tried to light one in the gas fireplace in the lobby. It just charred up. Diddliy ding dang crap.

muddy, try peeling off some bark from a pine tree (preferably dead)  scrape your knife edge back and forth onthe backside of  it with some preasure. preferably laying on a stick or log for backing. try lighting the fluff with your sparker.  you can even try it with a dead stick. good luck buddy, keep searching, im sure youll find something.  another tinder to try is the soft material inside the stalks of mullen plants. its dry even when its raining. youll have to powder it up by dragging a sawblade on your multitool acrost it but ive gotten it to light with my gerber strikeforce.

muddy, try peeling off some bark from a pine tree (preferably dead)  scrape your knife edge back and forth onthe backside of  it with some preasure. preferably laying on a stick or log for backing. try lighting the fluff with your sparker.  you can even try it with a dead stick. good luck buddy, keep searching, im sure youll find something.  another tinder to try is the soft material inside the stalks of mullen plants. its dry even when its raining. youll have to powder it up by dragging a sawblade on your multitool acrost it but ive gotten it to light with my gerber strikeforce.

Everyting here is either damp or rotten. But I'll keep trying. Lesson learned is that south Jersey is a terrible place to live off the land.

Everyting here is either damp or rotten. But I'll keep trying. Lesson learned is that south Jersey is a terrible place to live off the land.

well you can allways eat the iner bark from pinetrees.  :P ive never tried it but i read somewhere that it has saved a few settlers over the harsh winters back in the day. 

Snowing here again.  A foot+ of snow on the ground, then a couple of inches of rain on Sat and Sun, now 3-6 more inches of snow.  Enough already!!!

That doesn't sound like much fun ofg. I hope we are done with the snow here, but I have seen us get some big snows in march in the past.  Its been sunny and warm here today. High got up to around 65.

We had rain last night and most of the day. The snow melted and steam lay heavy on the ground as the frost went out. The deer, 10 in all, came out in the field and they were hard to see in the mist. As it got dark fog rolled in quietly and slow on little cat feet.

Most of the streams and creeks here are out of their banks, water everywhere, still lots of waterlogged snow all over, gravel roads are mud holes and now more snow.  Frost is still in the ground (other than the 2 inches of slop on top) so most of this water is running off.

Are you researching by names or by characteristics?

No grasses in fields or along up roadways up that way?

DSC_1437.jpg

DSC_1438.jpg

DSC_1518.jpg

Are there no types of reedy weeds with seed tufts like this horse weed?

DSC_1565.jpg

Fibrous inner bark of dead trees?

DSC_5781.jpg

DSC_5783.jpg

DSC_5784.jpg

DSC_5788.jpg

DSC_5789.jpg

Thin dry leaves

DSC_1280.jpg

DSC_1280c.jpg

Dry punk wood?

DSC_5793.jpg

DSC_5794.jpg

Fibrous vines? Just make sure you don't use poison ivy vines...or poison oak.

DSC_0838.jpg

DSC_0856.jpg

Are you researching by names or by characteristics?

No grasses in fields or along up roadways up that way?

Both. I did get a fire yesterday from some of those phragmites (sp). The problem is getting it dry enough to light. Everything here is cold and soaking wet. Grass being the only available item on hand, the nearest catatails are 9 miles away. There is piles of dead pine needles. 

Snowing here again.  A foot+ of snow on the ground, then a couple of inches of rain on Sat and Sun, now 3-6 more inches of snow.  Enough already!!!

Just a reminder, March coming in like a lion, goes out like a lamb. My fingers are crossed.  :thumbsup: We got to get out and do checking around the farm, 4 wheeling mainly  :yes:

Everything around here is a soupy mess.  My neighbors drain plugged on her driveway, so me and the boys spent an hour bailing water out of her driveway yesterday.  (It had filled the driveway and then filled the basement to about 3 inches which covered the bottom of the water heater and killed it).  We packed a sand tube in front of the area that it was coming into the driveway.  The basement is empty now.  There is 2 to 3 inches of "Muck" on top of every bit of ground.  Total saturation. 

I love winter but I hate the annual thawing of the dog poo  scared011.gif