WildSurvive Forum
Bravo

Campfire Talk

Both. I did get a fire yesterday from some of those phragmites (sp). The problem is getting it dry enough to light. Everything here is cold and soaking wet. Grass being the only available item on hand, the nearest catatails are 9 miles away. There is piles of dead pine needles. 

If there are pine cones...and pine needles....then there are pine trees...and so it only stands to reason that there is some really rich pitchwood stumps around there somewhere, and that's great for wet conditions fire starting.

Sorry, I clicked on modify again instead of quote...so I unintentionally edited your post and had to edit it back...

Same muddy mess here but spring migration is full under way. The sky is full of Red Wing Blackbirds and Robins. Small flocks of local Canadian Geese are doing fly buys. The pond is beyond full and running over the spill way. The last I heard from Blair the Spoon River was not in flood yet but it probably will be. Still spittin rain this morning. The drought is officially over.

Unfortunately, the drought status has not changed here. We have lots of snow and then almost two inches of rain over the weekend, however, the ground is still frozen, so the majority of the moisture is running off.

Unfortunately, the drought status has not changed here. We have lots of snow and then almost two inches of rain over the weekend, however, the ground is still frozen, so the majority of the moisture is running off.

Ground water can be raised through the streams even though the ground is frozen the bottom of streams and rivers arent. Im not sure what impact that has on a drought if any but my well will definitely get some help. Mine never went dry but a lot of them did. We saw a lot of guys with water tanks in their trucks going to town to get water last year.

Breaks went out Friday night while near downtown CR.  That was fun...  Got it into the shop today to get it fixed.  Line for the front was broken and the rear was cracked.  Front pads were down to 30% and the rotors were way under spec is what he said.  530 to fix it all...

This guy at least seems better than the last guy that I dealt with.  The other shop I went to was trying to get me to do 1000 dollar fixes on things that weren't wrong and that pisses me off! 

If it was me Watcher Id slap some new pads on it and keep going. Was it the flexible  break hose? If so thats no big deal just replace and bleed the brakes.

That's a rough repair bill, Watcher.  Salt can be rough on those brake lines, my old F-150 had a line break on top of the old strip mine behind KW's house--on the way down.  :scared:  That was a long haul down the mountain but I got down okay.  gen165.gif  Once we had the brake lines fixed, the rear brake cylinder popped.  We replaced it and the new one wasn't any good, so we replaced it again.  doh.gif  Good times....

Howdy Y'all Cold wind from the north west here now and dropping temps but still not bad. 

Our temps are supposed to drop later today, too.  Rain is supposed set in this afternoon and end sometime in the morning.  The temperatures we had in the mid to upper 60's this weekend will be a fond memory.

How are you?

Fine.

Hair is fine. How is your hair? Fine.

I tell people I'm not unwell.

'Still kickin', just not too high.'

How are you?

Fine.

Hair is fine. How is your hair? Fine.

I tell people I'm not unwell.

"I am operating within established parameters." Dr. Data, Star Trek

Yeah, but everyone knows you don't need a knife to sit around playing game apps on the phone....

They'll be unprotected when we raid the camp and take all their gear.

The caption at the bottom of the page says that in the next chapter, the campout crew goes mushroom hunting. Euell Gibbons is weeping.