WildSurvive Forum
Bravo

Campfire Talk

Well, looks like I have a new assistant. She was pretty excited earlier, looking at the gear she will be carrying and using.

Well, looks like I have a new assistant. She was pretty excited earlier, looking at the gear she will be carrying and using.

That's good Mist. She should be a lot of help for you.

Good morning campers! 35 degrees and drizzle here today. Possibility of snow showers in the higher elevations. If you don't like the weather in Kentucky wait a few minutes it will change.

Winter came back for a spell but upper 50s by the end of the week. A coyote must be around some deer came busting up out of the woods this morning. One doe ran through our yard.

That's good Mist. She should be a lot of help for you.

Yeah, watching her zoom around the coffee house, she definitely has a lot more energy than I have these days... :) Being a one man show is fun, and really has it's moments, but damn is it tiring!

A necessary survival skill!!!!

Maple Beer Making

Hartman Reserve Nature Center, Black Hawk County

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Learn how to make maple syrup AND beer in the same program!  Help collect sap, boil syrup, and make beer with lots of local ingredients while sampling a little maple beer in the process.  All attendees must be 21 years old or above and have a valid ID. Fee: $10 per person

Ive made maple syrup. Those turkey deep fryers work great. Its time to start sappin right now. I use an inch spade bit on my driver drill and an inch close nipple. South side of a hard maple tree is best. Be ready to boil about 100 gallons to get a pint of syrup.  Well its not that bad.  :P  Almost. Be ready not to commit suicide if you burn the whole batch. Been there done that.  :cry:

I might try to do a titorial. Im looking at a maple tree as I type.

A necessary survival skill!!!!

Maple Beer Making

Hartman Reserve Nature Center, Black Hawk County

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Learn how to make maple syrup AND beer in the same program!  Help collect sap, boil syrup, and make beer with lots of local ingredients while sampling a little maple beer in the process.  All attendees must be 21 years old or above and have a valid ID. Fee: $10 per person

Son of a *****!

I thought somebody was teaching how to make maple beer!  :ranting:

Son of a *****!

I thought somebody was teaching how to make maple beer!  :ranting:

They are!!!! Beer made with maple syrup for sugar.

damn, if i hadnt already made plans i would have concidered going.  well you learn it and learn it well ofg so you can pass it onto us.  :pray:

damn, if i hadnt already made plans i would have concidered going.  well you learn it and learn it well ofg so you can pass it onto us.  :pray:

One of these days, yer gonna have to get  yer ass up to one of these.  lol

We did one about 4 years ago at the Indian creek nature center over here by CR.  Awesome stuff.  I LOVE maple sugar.  The kids really enjoyed it.

Wild weather here as wind and snow squalls blow through. 30+ winds and bone cold. The ground is getting white again. Winter is a long time going this far up. (Jeremiah Johnson)