WildSurvive Forum
Bravo

Campfire Talk

I always do a silent thank you to any animal that I kill.  I always use as much as possible from it, and I kill it as humanely as possible. 

I much prefer to eat an animal that I have killed than has been raised and slaughtered just for food.  That way it gets to live it's life out in the wild, do it's animal thing, and then it dies humanely and without going through horrible conditions.  It dies how it should die, as prey, not as something that was simply kept in a cage.

I also try to eat as much meat from locally raised cattle as possible.  Walmart meat... Ewww...  No thank you to factory farms and mad cow disease.  I prefer my corn fed taken care of Iowa local farmer's cows. 

But is the corn GMO corn?

shaking my prayer stick for you guys swede.

Thanks Razor. Not the best time for us but it could be worse. I guess.

Peter Benchley really had a way of drawing you in.  It's not only his written words, but how he was able to inspire the reader's imagination.  In that opening scene from the book, you were not just watching the shark attack, you were experiencing it.  He put you inside the mind of the girl as she got eaten.

Jaws was one of the better movies at following the book, mainly because Peter Benchley also did the screen play for the movie.  He did drop the part from the book where the sheriff's wife boinked the marine biologist because when doing the movie, he realized it didn't add anything to the story and in fact took away from it.

He also did a cameo in the movie - he had a bit part as a reporter standing on the beach.

~ Really? I never knew that! And I've watched the movie a gazillion times on cable. I love the shooting star scene that was accidently captured.  :P

I found a little plastic Rambo knife in a box for Space Ace. I made a hollow handled compartment with some candy and a dollar.

~ that's cool Muddy! When will Space Ace be old enough for a real pocket knife?  :bounce:

Hiker - here is another video that might help.

due to my damaged thumb thats the same technique I've used with my Gerber strike force. (using the scraper that comes with it) it does a great job of throwing sparks without bashing your tinder around.  :thumbup:

Guest smallgamehunter

I retract my previous statement about the BG survival kit fire steel its the striker that's junk I just used my opinel knife as a striker and got a good shower of sparks

~ that's cool Muddy! When will Space Ace be old enough for a real pocket knife?  :bounce:

Don't know. He liked the knife, and was happy to get a dollar. It seems he doesn't like Skittles. Meh, more for me. We had a nice dinner and watched that new Wizard of Oz movie. Mila Kunis is the hot witch of the west. 

~ hope everything is ok, Swede and Sharen. You both are in my thoughts, and I'm thinking positive thoughts for you both. 

Thanks ~D and every one. Its the not knowing. To all its the word "cancer" that is haunting us at this point. We will know more when the test results come back.

Thanks ~D and every one. Its the not knowing. To all its the word "cancer" that is haunting us at this point. We will know more when the test results come back.

Thanks for letting us know, Swede and keep us posted.  You and Sharen are in my prayers.

Swedesneighbor sent me this cam picture. The dates are set wrong on his trail cam. This is the same buck we saw at five in the morning with our flood light in the pond pasture AFTER the first deer season so he is still alive.

wzud.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Guest smallgamehunter

That's a typical Illinois buck Greene

A bit more then typical SGH. I have half of a set of sheds from his grandpa. I know where the other one is and he wants $200 for it.

Ive tried to eat those old tough nasty tastin bucks Ive even tried boiling those antlers so you may as well save the trip Mr. Greene.  :P

Guest smallgamehunter

OK there was a 17pt 275lb buck that's now the number five pope and young non typical record for the state that walked around here when I first moved to this half of the county

Guest smallgamehunter

Greene there's a large number of good eating size does that come out not fifty yards from my front door

They looking mighty tasty this time of year

The buck in the pic i sent is still kickin! I saw him tonight after some does in my west hayfield. Pretty impressive animal! Pretty sure he is the same one we saw the day down by the big cottonwood tree Swede

Im not so sure Jeff. This one has a very high rack while the one by the cottonwood had long tines and many of them. It looked like he was 10 foot tall over on the pond pasture hill. Maybe you saw the one by the cottonwood. Either way both are impressive. Im pretty sure hes a grandson of the antler that Chad has the mate to.I have no idea where they have been to still be alive. It could be all the does are bred and their not chasing around. Thats the only time you could see them out and about.

DNA testing has recently shown that, although many does will have two fawns each year, most of the "twins" have different fathers.