WildSurvive Forum
Bravo

Campfire Talk

That diamond shaped head is all I need to know to keep back. The Copperheads a actually beautiful when their colors are bright. Fat Guy put up some pictures here some where.

Yeah, I encountered two copperheads when i was hiking in Connecticut a couple of years ago.  I was geocaching and thought they were rubber snakes because they didn't move.  I picked up a long stick, moved closer and poked one and it slithered away, scaring the crap out of me.

I did a little research and found out that copperheads will freeze with they are startled. This is why a lot of them get hit on the road. They will be crossing the pavement, hear a vehicle coming, freeze and get splattered. 

I'm glad I decided to be cautious and poke them with a stick instead of going up to the ones I saw.  They are gorgeous animals.

http://www.wildsurvive.com/outdoor-camping-forum/index.php/topic,1068.msg200713.html#msg200713

Good morning! Well we have reached the time of year here when the snakes are crawling actively. The nights are getting cooler and the rain has about stopped. So they are seeking water and they like the warmth found on a road that has been heated by the sun during the day. My sister in law who lives next door to us came with in inches of stepping on a copperhead last night while in her drive way.  Those copperheads in OFG's pictures are some of the brightest colored ones I have seen. Seems most of the ones you see down here have a very copper colored head, but there bodies are closer to a grayish/brown color.  They are definitely a beautiful snake, but I am pretty sure my wife would disagree. lol

We wont have my big van to anchor the shelter this year I sold it last evening. It has been sitting around for years and it was going to hell. The grass is wet as usual this morning but Im going to mow any way before it gets 90 out again today.

On the road home from kansas this morning.I got.pics I will post later.

I run this for awhile yesterday

DSC_0008_zps8tnvt2sa.jpg

Good morning! Already at work this morning taking care of few things before we shut the plant down on full storage. Hopefully going diving tomorrow. We were suppose to start on our master diver training last Saturday, but the instructor cancelled on us last minute. Log on the fire for now. Good day!

Did your instructor drown?  :unsure:  Trying to get our van started this morning. Its been sitting since last year at this time. A guy wanted it so him and his buddy waded into the weeds growing around it and bought it. Its a lot of vehicle for a thousand bucks. Ive got the jumper cables on it as I type.

It started right up and I drove out of the weeds it was sitting in and the 6 ply tires were pretty much up. I topped them off a blew leaves and stuff out of the the vents and took the extra camping gear the was stored in it and drove it up to town and ran it through the car wash. I took it over to the guy who wasnt home so I drove it back home. The engine was so quiet I couldnt hear it running and the brakes worked great and it drove straight down the road so I decided to keep it.  :P

Maybe someone has a link??  I'm looking for a good PDF on North American Medicinal Plants.  Treatments for what, and preparation of the raw plant to get the medicinal properties.

Thanks!! on my way to take a look at it.

Hey.  WORD OF WARNING;  Before using any of this stuff, check with two or three good sources on the internet, or consult someone who knows about the herb in question.  These sources are from a time where a lot of stuff was not peer-reviewed and much less was known about the way the human body actually worked.  Remember, for a long time, bleeding was thought to be the greatest treatment available.

Hey, I thought I'd say something about information on the web.  If you see something that you would like to use in the future, I'd strongly suggest downloading it and storing it on your own computer.  I remember when it seemed like you could find a website about anything, but an awful lot of them have disappeared.  One example of this is geneology stuff.  Now it seems like everything is behind a closed door called SomethingWhereWeMakeMoney.com.

With multi-terabyte USB 3 hard drives for not much money...just makes sense to keep an archive of interesting or useful information.

As far as old medical information goes, if civilization were to fall, it'd be a lot better to have some idea where to start with medicinal plants rather than looking at a whole forest and going, "I know there's something in there that would help whatever ailment I happen to have....but which one?"

Now, of course, modern medical support and consultation should be one's first choice.

Howdy Nurkerool. . Swede mentioned your coming for Farmagedden this year. I'll be happy to see you and Tess. Hope for good weather, cooler anyways.

Hey, is anyone gonna get bent out of shape if we bring one of the small quiet honda generators?  I prefer to hook up to electric, but maybe there'll be too many coming for that?