WildSurvive Forum
Machine

Trekking Poles, Hiking Staffs, and Walking Sticks

Guest smallgamehunter

i used to have a really nice oak walking stick till i broke it over the head of a rather large possum. im gonna make another one out of white oak or red cedar here reall soon

I've got a walking stick I made out of a very young sassafrass tree about....well, nearly 30 years ago.  I carved the initials "MT" and "JWT" for the Michael Tygart and Jenny Wiley trails I hiked with the staff as a scout.  It's got a small dogleg in it that just adds character to it.  It isn't much to look at but it went quite a few miles with me.

A piece of wood works, I'm sure.  I have some ideas on modifying the internal match case.  I'll post info was it materializes.

I finally got around to loading up the match container in the handle my hiking staff.  I had some regular wooden matches along with some waterproof ones I picked up a while back. Since I almost always have my hiking staff with me when geocaching or hiking in the woods, I think this would be a good backup source for making a fire.

I started out cutting down a paper towel to the correct width to roll up into the match tube. Next, I took matches, laid them out on the paper towel and rolled them up in the towel.  I kept going until this would completely fill the tube.  I didn't want them to rattle around and I think the paper towel will help protect them from rubbing on the sides of the tube.  I could also use the paper towel as tinder if needed.  

Finally, I took a section of the strike pad from a box of matches, cut it to size, made sure the waterproof matches would light on and rolled it up in the end of the paper towel.  I slid the roll into the tube, folding the ends over to protect the ends of the matches.   I reassembled the tube and am good to go. The match container has rubber seals, so it should be water tight and protect the matches until needed.  I will check on them from time to time to see how they are holding up.

Thanks, SGH.  I have had it for a year and a half and really like it.  It has held up well.  The only thing I don't like is that the compass pretty much decoration only.  It is consistant, but off 90 degrees or so.  Cabela's has them on sale in the bargin cave for $20.

Guest smallgamehunter

yea i see them when i was pricing some new camping gear the other night

i used to have a really nice oak walking stick till i broke it over the head of a rather large possum. im gonna make another one out of white oak or red cedar here reall soon

I want to see the possum that broke an oak hiking staff!  damn!    :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: we got em here (not many) and they are SMALL, housecat sized.

Guest smallgamehunter

he was a rather large corn fed possum i actually had to whack him with a trap stake to finally dispatch him

Finished this last weekend and finally had the chance to take some pictures. This is a piece of walnut that I have had leaning against my fence for the last couple of years.

I stripped off the bark, rubbed it smooth on a rock, worked out some of the rougher spots and rounded over the edges.  Next I carved an area to wrap with paracord and attached the wrist lanyard. This has 25 feet of paracord. 

Next, I added an adjustable shoulder strap with 12-15 of paracord.

I put on two coats of tongue oil to finish the wood.

I drilled a hole in the top deep enough to hold a fire steel.  I countersunk the hole large enough to cover it with a 9mm shell casing.

This is my hiking staff. It's made of hickory and I picked it up in a store on the Ocean City, NJ boardwalk.  

P8050027.jpg

Now, I will be completely honest in that I borrowed (stole) the idea for the kit components from a post The Archer did on Hoodlums forum.  

P8050026.jpg

A little cordloc compass and light. There is a ranger band underneath everything where I could fit another ferro rod.  

P8050028.jpg

Mini kit with a few basic items.

P8050029.jpg

Slingshot rubber.

P8050030.jpg

This is the Coldsteel 2 piece blowgun. It was advertised as being sturdy enough to be used as a walking stick so I said why not.

P8050031.jpg

I wrapped parachute cord adround the upper portion and inserted a Cold Steel plastic dart in the mouth. When I'm out walking I remove the dart holder.

P8050032.jpg

P8050034.jpg

P8050035.jpg

i like the cold steel muddy! they make some great products. this is the walking stick Ive been using for the last 10 years or so. i releaved the handle so when i wrapped the paracord it wouldn't make it fatter. (to thick of a handle will fatigue the hand) its a hickory shovel handle. its a little heavy but i don't notice it, its strong enough to dig with and beat off a black bear without breaking but i like it for crossing water in winter. i know if i fall threw it wont break. (i always hold it horizontal when crossing frozen water.) the rings below the handle are rubber O rings. they roll up and down really easy and last alot longer than rubber bands for making it into a tracking stick.

057.thumb.JPG.b36941bd7bc1b3ce0944f54532528694.JPG

i like the cold steel muddy! they make some great products. this is the walking stick Ive been using for the last 10 years or so. i releaved the handle so when i wrapped the paracord it wouldn't make it fatter. (to thick of a handle will fatigue the hand) its a hickory shovel handle. its a little heavy but i don't notice it, its strong enough to dig with and beat off a black bear without breaking but i like it for crossing water in winter. i know if i fall threw it wont break. (i always hold it horizontal when crossing frozen water.) the rings below the handle are rubber O rings. they roll up and down really easy and last alot longer than rubber bands for making it into a tracking stick.

Nice!

This is my hiking staff. It's made of hickory and I picked it up in a store on the Ocean City, NJ boardwalk. 

P8050026.jpg

Now, I will be completely honest in that I borrowed (stole) the idea for the kit components from a post The Archer did on Hoodlums forum. 

P8050026.jpg

A little cordloc compass and light. There is a ranger band underneath everything where I could fit another ferro rod. 

P8050028.jpg

Mini kit with a few basic items.

P8050029.jpg

Slingshot rubber.

P8050030.jpg

Thanks for remembering to post the staff pictures.  I like what you have there.  Mine will be more for looks, but maybe I'll add on to it a little.