WildSurvive Forum
Machine

Trekking Poles, Hiking Staffs, and Walking Sticks

I found a bamboo rod at the craft store.

p3070004p.jpg

I stuck a wine cork in the top section to cap off a little survival kit.

p3070023b.jpg

I like a long pole to push limbs and brush away. How strong is that bamboo?

I like a long pole to push limbs and brush away. How strong is that bamboo?

I like hickory better. The bamboo is lighter, but bends a bit.

I like hickory better. The bamboo is lighter, but bends a bit.

i like hickory too. i can dig with it and pry apart stumps for fatwood and fishbait.  on the other hand you might be able to make a bamboo fire saw with it in an emergancy. i tried it with a tiki torch pole and actually got it to work once before i broke it. i think theres a video on here by outofdoors showing how.

I have two more hiking staffs in the works.  These are from the poles we cut at the winter campout to hold up the inside of the parachute.

One is Ironwood and the other is Maple.

staff01.jpg

staff02.jpg

I started by stipping the bark off of each of them to let them dry down more quickly.

staff03.jpg

staff04.jpg

So now I need to wait for a bit, let them dry and from there I will probably inlay a paracord wrap and either carve or use my woodburner to put some designs on them.

staff05.jpg

I have two others that I started drying a while back that I should be able to get started on in a couple of months.  I will post pictures of those along with updates on these as I work on them.

I have really bad knee's (getting old I guess) I use Black Diamond Trekking Poles when I go backpacking. One they help keep you steady while on steep hills and trails and 2 I find they help my knees when going down hill and it relieves some of the load of the pack.

8588346639_e74bbb700a.jpg

Here's my stick, and me, it's currently drying in my mates house as it'd be odd for me to be walking through the city with a stick almost as tall as me. (I don't have a road safe car at the moment and I live in the city centre)

I'll take photo's and stuff as I begin preparing it.

Yay though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the evilest SOB in the valley.