WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
nurkerool

Nurker's Survival Kit

I got curious and found this:

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH: A member of the Board of Trustees of the International Association for Medical Assistance to Travelers (IAMAT), Dr Forgey is a Fellow of the Explorer's Club, a lecturer on medical care in high risk recreation at several universities, and a leader of many expeditions into Northern Canada, both summer and winter.  A former Captain, Infantry, in the US Army, he had over 30 months active duty in Vietnam prior to leaving the service and attending medical school at Indiana University.  He was awarded the Bronze Star and Army Commendation Medal for his service in Vietnam. He worked 6 years full time as an Emergency Room physician and director of the Ross Clinic Emergency Services in Merrillville, Indiana, before starting his practice of family medicine. Dr Forgey has served as a Scoutmaster for three BSA troops and as a Medical Explorer Post and High Adventure Explorer Post Advisor.  He completed his BSA Woodbadge training in 1969. He currently serves on the National Health and Safety Committee and as an Advisory Board Member for the Northern Tier High Adventure Base for the Boy Scouts of America. He is the national consultant for the Student Conservation Association and many other nonprofit organizations. He was named as one of America�s 20 greatest living explorers by the Explorers Club in New York City and, as such, had a subcamp named for him at the National Boy Scout Jamboree in 2005.

He is the author of Wilderness Medicine (1979, 2d Ed 1983, 3rd Ed 1987, 4th Ed 1994, 5th Ed 2000), Hypothermia (1985), Campfire Stories (1985), Basic Essentials of Outdoor First Aid (1989), Basic Essentials of Wilderness First Aid (2nd edition 1999, 3rd Ed 2007), Basic Illustrated Wilderness First Aid (2008), Campfire Tales (1989, 2nd Ed 1999), The Travelers' Medical Resource (1990), The Travelers' Self Care Manual (1990), and Basic Essentials of Hypothermia (1991, 2nd Ed 1999), The Wilderness Medical Society's Practice Guidelines for Pre-hospital Care (editor, 1995, 4th Ed 2001, 5th Ed 2006), The Doctor's Little Book of Wisdom, (1995), Campfire Stories, Vol III (1995), Wilderness First Aid (1996, 2nd Ed 2003 3rd Ed 2005),  and The Dieter's Little Book of Wisdom (1996). Dr. Forgey contributed  to the current edition of the Field Book, 3rd Ed (1984), published by  the Boy Scouts of America and  to The Wilderness Educator (1991),  a text book for outdoor educators, and Fishing First Aid (2002).

Why did I have that uneasy feeling?

1.  Because you and Tess are soul mates and you are connected.

2.  It was her guardian angel screaming in your ear that something was terribly wrong.

3.  Your subconscious mind remembers everything you read and it niggled at your conscious mind.

Beyond first aid is having a good book to back you up.  About 17 years ago, Tess came home from work and we were visiting with family.  She said she hadn't felt good all day and had some pain in her abdomen.  When she said she wanted to go ahead and go home, I had an uneasy feeling.  I dug out my Dr. Forgey's "Wilderness Medicine" and read the proper procedure for checking for an inflamed appendix.  When I did the test she screamed and like to come up off that couch.  We got her to the hospital and they took it out laparoscopically.  She had roughly 15 minutes until it would have burst, they said.  It's amazing the little coincidences that make up the difference between life and death.  Our copy is a signed copy that her parents had gotten for her when they realized how much camping and hiking we did.  I read it cover to cover when we got it.  Why did I have that uneasy feeling?

71NMGQDA8ZL._AA240_.gif

Looking at our copy.  It is the third edition, not fifth, It was signed by Bill Forgey, April 1989

Thanks, I'll have to look for this one too.

LOL! I use crazy glue over here.  Damned best bandaid ever! And the cianide in it acts as a gread disinfectant.

Learned that in Boy Scouts, works great.

Got to looking at this old thing.  Kit hasn't changed in 4 years, but one thing I need to add is one or maybe more of those curved LED hat lights that clip onto a ball-type or boonie hat.  They make a very nice addition to a hand held flashlight (for work that requires more light) or to wear on its own so you aren't stumbling around in the dark.

Had occasion to revisit the survival kit after about 2.5 years.  I sewed a bag using a denim pantleg and zipper from a different pair of jeans.  Note: If you do sew, save those male jean zippers, 'cause if it's a good pair of jeans, you can't find a more bulletproof zipper.  I use the bag, with an over the shoulder strap because of the weight, to carry a 1 liter bottle of posca, and a 1.5 liter bottle of tap water.  I'll probably replace the tap water every six months.  Once I'm in the woods, I slide the water carrier around so it is on the opposite side from the fanny pack (which I always carried to the side unless space was an issue).  This is fairly new, so I'll update as I get more experience with it.

Posca is what the Roman legionaires used to carry to drink.  According to wikipedia, no original formula exists.  They suggested, and I used:  1.5 cup vinegar, 0.5 cup honey (I used stevia equivalent), 4 cups of water, and 1 Tablespoon of crushed coriander.  This is an acquired taste kind of drink.  It makes the back of your throat try to close up until you get used to it.