WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mistwalker

Fishing with a gill net.....,

I am considering doing a picture tutorial on how to make a gill net in the field. Although this would serve as practice for me...., growing up in a family where all aspects of fishing ;  trout lines, traps, barrel nets, gill nets, jugs, limb lines, and rod and real were just part of life this is already burned into my memory so I would rather put the time towards something more useful if there is no interest in the subject so......, let me know what you think, or if this has already been done.

Go for it my friend, a couple of years ago i taught myself the art of net making but sadly i did not have the time to practice much so am very rusty.

Whats the best card to use, my very first attempt was a string bag and i used cotton sting for that. Then i mad a ruse net and a long net using hemp but i only had 3 strand hemp that was quite thick, i have been looking for a fine two strand hemp.

This was my first attempt.

I needed a burden bag to store some supplies in so I took the opportunity to make a net bag. It is a little rough and ready. I decided to use string I had kicking around the house. The needle is a manufactured one I picked up at a local commercial fishing outlet.

To start off I tied two courses of mesh in a chain. This was to make the top of the bag or opening.

p6050001yg6.jpg

p6050003fs3.jpg

Threaded a string through the top course of mesh to make a draw string handle.

p6050004qt6.jpg

Tied this of into a loop and joined the mesh to make a net loop

p6050005jx9.jpg

Then add more courses of mesh until the desired length, it will start looking loke a basketball hoop.

p6050006uq0.jpg

Finally close the bottom and you have your bag

p6050007yo9.jpg

Go for it my friend, a couple of years ago i taught myself the art of net making but sadly i did not have the time to practice much so am very rusty.

Whats the best card to use, my very first attempt was a string bag and i used cotton sting for that. Then i mad a ruse net and a long net using hemp but i only had 3 strand hemp that was quite thick, i have been looking for a fine two strand hemp.

Well...., as for the "best" cord....., I would have to say small BRAIDED nylon twine somewhat like masons use or we carpenters use on our plumb-bobs if it is available, however any small string will do but if it is "twisted" tie a not in, or melt the ends whenever you cut it to keep it from unravelling, I have seen it done with natural cordage but I am unfamiliar with making this type of cordage as of yet. Parachute cord is lined with inner strands and you can even use these with the outer shell becoming the main upper line of the net

Guest blacksmith

fishing line works grate for gill net for smaller fish

Guest blacksmith

yes it can maybe I will have to make some to show how it looks

Paracord? 550lb test? How big of a fish are you going to catch? Are you going to use hydraulics to pull your net in?

Honestly, the fishing industry uses the highest quality line for their nets they can find at the lowest price. I have seen a variety of different nets on the beach, made using a variety different types of line to make them.

Paracord definitely has its uses, but I wouldnt want to make a net with it. I would use fishing line(50lb test, and still cheap), or buy direct from a marine outfitter and get the same stuff fishing boats are using in their nets.

Meanwhile I would make use of ANY kind of string, line, rope, thread, cedar bark, etc I can find and practice with it so I can be ready to make use of that particular skill when it was necessary.

I still wouldnt use paracord though. I would use the paracord for snares(survival situation), shelter building, tying up Bin Laden, etc.

Guest blacksmith

if you are going after small fish you can get away with 10# line like small  trout but if you want big fish then big line but you can make all types of net gill net is good but seine net will work better and the fish can see the net you are trying to hide the net like you are with gill net

Guest blacksmith

oh I forgot to say this but there is a book that I like  it is Indian fishing by Hilary Stewart it has all the ways you can fish I know that it is not a  survival book but it is good

It would be great to see that, could it be made out of paracord ?

Yes, it can.

Paracord? 550lb test? How big of a fish are you going to catch? Are you going to use hydraulics to pull your net in?

You don't tie the net using paracord as a whole...., you separate it into it's parts. Paracord is an outer shell surrounding seven inner strands. you use the outer shell as the top cord of the net and use the strands to tie your webbing....., I hope the picture and the quick drawing done on paints helps, I'll try to answer any questions

Paracord, and the inner strands

PICT0360.jpg

A rough drawing of how to tie the net.

paracordgillnet.jpg

Guest blacksmith

yes it will work but the fish can see it right

yes it will work but the fish can see it right

Oh..., I know for a fact it will work......, and possibly....., but ummm....., gill nets have been around and working a whole lot longer than monofilament line.

Guest blacksmith

yes and they did things to hide it I hope I did not make you mad I have fish with net most of my life and I only want to help

I have helped fish with a gill net on the Mississippi river. You start by backing your boat cross current. It works best if there are two people. You may have to angle your boat upstream while backing to keep parallel with the current. Drop the leading lead line or weight out first and the float line will follow. Keep backing  till all the net is out. The current will push the net down stream cross ways with the current.

When you think its time to haul the net you pick up the float line and start pulling. The motor operator can help by slowly moving forward towards the net. It can be quite a process getting the fish out of the net as they can get tangled up pretty good.

In a survival situation a cast net would be better I would think.

180pxfishinginorissaqs9.jpg

Guest blacksmith

yes you are right a cast net would work better we have one and we have talk about getting salmon with it

I hope they are not mad at me

No no dont worry about it. I didnt think anyone was upset at all. No problem.

Guest blacksmith

thanks we can get a permit to fish salmon with gill net dip net or seine net in the river up here

It takes some practice to throw a cast net but they work pretty good.

Guest blacksmith

I know I am not good with them yet but working on it maybe I will try this year in the river

yes and they did things to hide it I hope I did not make you mad I have fish with net most of my life and I only want to help

No worries man, I'm not mad. I also grew up commercial fishing, most rivers here do not run clear but somewhat green.

Guest blacksmith

brown up here I fish salt most of the time 

fish are going to see the net no matter what. Probably wouldnt matter what type of cord you use, or what color the water is. Probably better off in a survival situation to use a fish trap, like a fence in a river to funnel fish into an enclosure of some sorts, or maybe the net itself if you go to the trouble of making one.

Guest blacksmith

good one that sounds good

fish are going to see the net no matter what. Probably wouldnt matter what type of cord you use, or what color the water is. Probably better off in a survival situation to use a fish trap, like a fence in a river to funnel fish into an enclosure of some sorts, or maybe the net itself if you go to the trouble of making one.

Yep, fish traps are a great option in streams and rivers, and tidal pools often work great on the coast but with both you should probably make more than one if you have more mouths to feed than your own.